Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #181
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
You are so late to the party that you are early for the next one. The two teams play again this Saturday in Buenos Aires which means it will be on at a good time for Canadian viewers.

Yes it was a great game that was closer than the final score. The ABs are dominating with superior depth. Other teams can be even with them for 40 minutes but lack the bench to compete once the subs start playing in the 2nd half.

I have been very impressed with the Pumas this season however. I'd say they are now on par with South Africa and Australia.
I'm still laughing at this line. Well done sir.

I have new challenges when it comes to sports, I have a new dog and he doesnt like sports on TV, its all about a ball he cant catch and he'll have no truck with this voodoo.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #182
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
David Pocock's hand after surgery. Do not click on this link if you are squeamish.

NSFW!
So he is part machine.

it all makes sense now

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #183
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are so late to the party that you are early for the next one. The two teams play again this Saturday in Buenos Aires which means it will be on at a good time for Canadian viewers.

Yes it was a great game that was closer than the final score. The ABs are dominating with superior depth. Other teams can be even with them for 40 minutes but lack the bench to compete once the subs start playing in the 2nd half.

I have been very impressed with the Pumas this season however. I'd say they are now on par with South Africa and Australia.
Well...spoiler tags in case people havent been able to watch them yet, I PVR'd them myself and just finished through them. One of the benefits of Rugby being more or less unknown over here is that having the scores 'spoiled' for you is pretty much just not a concern.

Spoiler!

Either way though, two absolutely stunning matches. Watch them!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-03-2016, 04:51 PM   #184
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Did we watch the same games? They were okay but calling them absolutely stunning is a little much.

NZ vs Argentina had lots of exciting tries but was just a blowout with a weird 2nd half. The game was basically over after the first half and but then the ABs took their foot off the pedal, got sin binned and allowed the Pumas to dominate the 2nd.

In the other game the Boks were average at best and had to rely on 6 penalties to win. The Wallabies were the better team and had all the possession but kept making mistakes at the worst times. Also, I agree the officiating was poor.

The best rugby match this weekend was the Australian National Rugby League Grand Final. It was an intense nail biter that wasn't settled til the very end:

FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:50 AM   #185
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've entered the lottery for tickets to All Blacks vs Lions at Eden Park next year! Will be an amazing weekend if I get to go!

The demand for tickets to the Lions series is so high that they've implemented a lottery system. It is a once every 12 years event after all
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #186
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^Did we watch the same games? They were okay but calling them absolutely stunning is a little much.

NZ vs Argentina had lots of exciting tries but was just a blowout with a weird 2nd half. The game was basically over after the first half and but then the ABs took their foot off the pedal, got sin binned and allowed the Pumas to dominate the 2nd.

In the other game the Boks were average at best and had to rely on 6 penalties to win. The Wallabies were the better team and had all the possession but kept making mistakes at the worst times. Also, I agree the officiating was poor.

The best rugby match this weekend was the Australian National Rugby League Grand Final. It was an intense nail biter that wasn't settled til the very end:

Yeah, or maybe I'm just easily impressed. I liked them. They were wild games to watch.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:33 PM   #187
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I have tried to get into League, through watching it and playing it, but I just can't.

Quote:
Old 10-04-2016, 05:09 PM   #188
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I have tried to get into League, through watching it and playing it, but I just can't.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: fish flopping
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #189
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
I've entered the lottery for tickets to All Blacks vs Lions at Eden Park next year! Will be an amazing weekend if I get to go!

The demand for tickets to the Lions series is so high that they've implemented a lottery system. It is a once every 12 years event after all
Good luck you'll need it. I wanted to go in 2013 but the tour sold out in 5 minutes. I doesn't help a bunch of the tickets are allocated for British fans.

If you can't get to the ABs game at least try to see one of the warm up matches against a Super Rugby team.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #190
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: fish flopping
Where is that poster from Yorkshire who will stick up for League? To be fair I have never met a League fan who has not spent some time of their life in Queensland, New South Wales or North England.

I prefer Union but recently had a good debate with a co-worker who loves League and can't stand Union. His criticisms were:

-It has too much kicking and games are full of boring penalty goals
-It has a slower pace with more stoppages
-I don't understand rucks and the ruck penalties
-The scrums are so boring when they are repeatedly re-set

Most of the locals agree with him too. This year the Bledisloe had a crowd of ~60k while the League final had a crowd of ~90k.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #191
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

And I was at the Storm vs Sharks game. My GOD was it awesome!!! We watched the Storm beat the Raiders the week before in Melbourne and were hooked. What an amazing game...totally fell in love with League when we were Down Under. Was cheering on the Storm but Cronulla eked it out...they waited 50 years for their first championship. Was just so much entertainment at both games. We saw an AFL game as well, Geelong hit wall papered byou Sydney. It was fun but it's pure chaos.

Also saw the Wallabies beat the Bokkers earlier in Brisbane. Was a great time as well but just didn't have the same vibe at all. And my God are S. Africans racist. Mind blowingly.

Will try and post some pics later. Jet lag sucks. Lol

Last edited by FLAMESRULE; 10-04-2016 at 07:12 PM.
FLAMESRULE is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #192
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where is that poster from Yorkshire who will stick up for League? To be fair I have never met a League fan who has not spent some time of their life in Queensland, New South Wales or North England.

I prefer Union but recently had a good debate with a co-worker who loves League and can't stand Union. His criticisms were:

-It has too much kicking and games are full of boring penalty goals
-It has a slower pace with more stoppages
-I don't understand rucks and the ruck penalties
-The scrums are so boring when they are repeatedly re-set

Most of the locals agree with him too. This year the Bledisloe had a crowd of ~60k while the League final had a crowd of ~90k.
Those are good arguments, and some are valid.

That being said, I hate the guaranteed possession in League, the battle for the ball at ruck time is important. It punishes players for bad technique. I agree with the scrum. But, to be frank how do you stop it. Perhaps, put a time limit on the scrum? I dislike that League got away from the lineout, it is a great attacking option.

League in comparison to Union is a very small, geographically localized game (as is Union to an extent).

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #193
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
And I was at the Storm vs Sharks game. My GOD was it awesome!!! We watched the Storm beat the Raiders the week before in Melbourne and were hooked. What an amazing game...totally fell in love with League when we were Down Under. Was cheering on the Storm but Cronulla eked it out...they waited 50 years for their first championship. Was just so much entertainment at both games. We saw an AFL game as well, Geelong hit wall papered byou Sydney. It was fun but it's pure chaos.

Also saw the Wallabies beat the Bokkers earlier in Brisbane. Was a great time as well but just didn't have the same vibe at all. And my God are S. Africans racist. Mind blowingly.

Will try and post some pics later. Jet lag sucks. Lol
Great post. Sounds like you had an awesome trip and it's nice to see another League convert. What did you think about Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney? They are all great cities but I think I like Sydney the best. Just wish it wasn't so damn expensive here.

Aussies are not really into Union right now after a horrible Super Rugby season and test matches. It also doesn't help Union is only played in private schools so barely any kids learn the game growing up. Haha, yes Saffas are pretty racist. They make Aussies look modern and progressive in comparison.

It sure was a great grand final although not quite as good as the one last year which went to extra time. I was also cheering for Melbourne since I work in Cronulla and can't stand the Sharks.
The Following User Says Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2016, 09:05 AM   #194
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Great post. Sounds like you had an awesome trip and it's nice to see another League convert. What did you think about Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney? They are all great cities but I think I like Sydney the best. Just wish it wasn't so damn expensive here.

Aussies are not really into Union right now after a horrible Super Rugby season and test matches. It also doesn't help Union is only played in private schools so barely any kids learn the game growing up. Haha, yes Saffas are pretty racist. They make Aussies look modern and progressive in comparison.

It sure was a great grand final although not quite as good as the one last year which went to extra time. I was also cheering for Melbourne since I work in Cronulla and can't stand the Sharks.
It was an incredible trip, and we're super fortunate to have been able to do it. Of the cities we visited (Brisbane, Port Douglas, Darwin, Adelaide, Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney) I liked Brisbane the best. It's a bit smaller than Sydney, but had the feel of a city the size of Calgary with everything you could want to do. It was a tad cheaper as well. My wife liked Adelaide the best, which I quite liked as well, but it has a sleepier/quieter feel to it. Melbourne felt like TO...little too corporate but the best food. Sydney was fantastic, but it's sooooo expensive. Canberra is easily the oddest city I've ever been too...for being master planned everything is ridiculously far apart. But it did have a top 3 highlight of Tidbinbilla National Park. Spectacular.

Yeah, I couldn't believe what I was hearing from the S. Africans at the game. It was appalling actually. And you hit the nail on the head saying they make Aussies look progressive!! I had no idea about the Cronulla race riots, and its why I was cheering for Melbourne (plus we were there the week earlier). It's a weird dichotomy there we found...on some things they are super progressive, like pay way, and then we hear Vanilla Ice every second day and wonder if we're in a time warp.

One thing I did forget to say is the ANZ stadium in Sydney and AAMI Park in Melbourne are AWESOME venues to watch a game at. Particularly AAMI...that is exactly what the Stampeders need here. MCG was super cool to go too, but you can tell its getting a bit long in the tooth. Suncorp in Brisbane was nice as well, but it just didnt feel as nice as AAMI or ANZ.

Should also add that the Grand Final felt super similar to the Grey Cups here. Every team had a bunch of fans there, all looking to have a good time. Never saw any stupidity, just a lot of good natured ribbing and tears on Cronulla fans.
FLAMESRULE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:38 AM   #195
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Generally speaking athletes tend to spend a lot of time and effort on their images, especially in sports without helmets but on the All Blacks there's one player who just has the worst haircut.

I don't mean it's ugly, or I don't like it, it's just very clearly been done badly. And it's consistent. It's like his mom still cuts his hair.

Israel Dagg.

Last edited by Locke; 10-23-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:45 PM   #196
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Generally speaking athletes tend to spend a lot of time and effort on their images, especially in sports without helmets but on the All Blacks there's one player who just has the worst haircut.

I don't mean it's ugly, or I don't like it, it's just very clearly been done badly. And it's consistent. It's like his mom still cuts his hair.

Israel Dagg.
Yeah but the fact that he's such a great runner makes up for his poor fashion sense!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 01:54 PM   #197
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wallabies played a hell of a game and got a bit jobbed by a poor TMO call disallowing a try.

Old 10-23-2016, 02:14 PM   #198
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is kind of interesting, I think the TMO got disallowing that Wallaby try wrong, but Owens was convinced that the try was good but eventually just went with the TMO's decision because he was adamant.

Then at the end of the game the ABs score a try after a forward pass that the TMO is unsure of and Owens overrules him and disallows that try as well.

I assume that the buck stops with Owens and that he can overrule the TMO.

Entertaining game nonetheless, I have to make it to one of these one day.

Now who is to say what would have happened had that Aussie try stood, but it likely would have put them ahead 17-15 and the ABs kind of stumbled out of the gates in the second half.

But thats the thing about the ABs, they just need one play and then all the gears synch up and they steamroll you.

They pulled Beau Barrett off really early because he just wasnt clicking, it wasnt his day. Thats their depth. They can pull off the guy that has arguably been their MVP and just go without him.

Old 10-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #199
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Wallabies played a hell of a game and got a bit jobbed by a poor TMO call disallowing a try.
Once again I think we watched different games... The Wallabies had no chance even with a disallowed try. They played better controlling the possession but still made way too many mistakes. If not for some great defence the All Blacks could have put up 70 points.

In any case the ABs are now on a 18 game winning streak. Their next game is actually in North America, taking on the Irish at Soldier Field on November 5th.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:10 AM   #200
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Once again I think we watched different games... The Wallabies had no chance even with a disallowed try. They played better controlling the possession but still made way too many mistakes. If not for some great defence the All Blacks could have put up 70 points.

In any case the ABs are now on a 18 game winning streak. Their next game is actually in North America, taking on the Irish at Soldier Field on November 5th.
You and I see things very differently, but again, I hardly consider myself to be an expert in all things Rugby.

I saw that game as very tight until the ABs broke it open, if the Wallabies grabbed a small lead at 50 mins I dont think it turns into a 70 point ass-kicking.

No arguing that kicking things up a few gears is something the All Blacks absolutely have in their locker, but take a lead on them and change tactics and who knows what can happen.