Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #21
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I liked it, it was a good introduction. To those thinking they're focusing too much on the family, I think they're building them up so they can tear them apart. You have to think the mom makes it but I could see any of the other three (four with the dad's kid) getting killed off at any time, though maybe not all by the end of the season.

To the questions of the realism of the zombies at the church, I could see the zombies wandering away from the church and not being picked up by the mainstream quickly (whole episode I think was only 2 days anyway). It looked like a dilapidated, crime-infested hellhole that most would tend to avoid. If a couple more crack heads got eaten, I don't think anyone would notice. I thought they handled the initial outbreak fairly well considering it's not realistic in the first place. A zombie outbreak would be quickly squashed in real life unless millions of people suddenly became zombies all at once. One by one though, nope, I don't buy it. Not that I let that get to me, it's a freaking zombie show after all. I just hope they can just limit the brain-dead decisions of the non-zombie characters, that irks me FAR more.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #22
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Slow, but understandable because they have a lot of characters to set up at the beginning, the story lines aren't really separate like TWD was at the beginning. My one gripe was all the goddamned commercials. AMC is just terrible for this...
1) Buy a DVR.
2) Have a couple of beers while it's recording. Maybe listen to some music.
3) Watch the recorded show and skip commercials.
4) Profit!
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2015, 12:32 PM   #23
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a weak episode but I know what they were trying to do so it's okay.

Now let the blood and guts flow.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 08-24-2015 at 08:51 PM. Reason: spelling error
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #24
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always forget that this is supposedly a universe where the concept of zombies/the walking dead doesn't even exist. This whole phenomena is completely unique, and something they have never even thought of before.

I'm forgiving of the slower start simply because it is a pilot and it is exploring details and events that were completely skipped over in TWD. It will be fun and interesting to come to grips with this world over the same eventuality of the characters.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2015, 02:08 PM   #25
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
I thought they handled the initial outbreak fairly well considering it's not realistic in the first place. A zombie outbreak would be quickly squashed in real life unless millions of people suddenly became zombies all at once. One by one though, nope, I don't buy it. Not that I let that get to me, it's a freaking zombie show after all.
I could see two ways in TWD universe that the outbreak could happen; given the "slow" turn rate of minutes to hours:

- In the episode where Rick liberated the prisoners who were stuck inside the cafeteria; he made mention that the virus wiped out half the population. It is possible that a significant number of people staying home were because they had the "zombie flu." Or somebody in their house had it, and they were stating home with that person. So confined to their houses, you could have half the population turning all at once.

- The other possibility is that given the large amount of "food" available, maybe the zombies haven't needed to start walking around yet. In the premiere there were lots of scenes where in the background somebody was being chewed on. Get a bunch of those people to turn, and you could have your mass number of zombies right off the bat as well.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:44 PM   #26
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

seeing randy from the wire made it an instant win for me. glad to see he made it out of baltimore and that group home!
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:31 AM   #27
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something that stood out to me was when the junkie kid's roommate started to die in the hospital, the doctor asks how long he has been coding. The nurse says it's been about 30 seconds and the doctor replies that if it goes to 60, the man has to go downstairs. They try shocking him twice, and when there's no response, the doctor is adamant that the man has to go "downstairs, now", and they wheel him out of the room immediately.

All I know of hospital procedures is what I've seen on other shows, but I don't think they would normally start moving someone who is in the middle of a cardiac arrest like that if they hadn't already been dealing with numerous patients turning immediately after dying.

Presumably, it will take people a while to figure out that you need to take out the brain in order to stop the dead. Wherever "downstairs" is, it's probably not a place anyone would want to be. It reminds me of the first episode of the original series when Rick walks past the door in the hospital that is locked shut with "DEAD INSIDE" painted on the outside.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:47 AM   #28
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

The first episode was OK, not great but worth giving another chance. The family is not great either but the junkie kid makes me think that he is trying very hard to be Johnny Depp, from the look to the way he moves, it was annoying.
I like the premise of the first few days of the outbreak. Also the way that they are going about it, like the principal saying to the bus driver "Did you miss some stops?" Makes me wonder how quickly they are going to make it spread, seems like it may be pretty fast.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:51 AM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't think it was too bad of an opening episode as I would argue a slow introduction was necessary to introduce characters and back story. I will say that in real life not all young adults are disrespectful to their parents so it's kind of a shame they had to make the kids so unlikeable.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:14 AM   #30
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand the need for a slow start, I just find all of the characters either boring or annoying. The blended family crap seams really forced.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 01:58 PM   #31
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was very annoyed by the son....he kept doing these over-the-top twitchy eye movements.

The others are just meh, nondescript. Maybe I'll care about them eventually.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #32
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
I was very annoyed by the son....he kept doing these over-the-top twitchy eye movements.
His character was in withdrawal the whole episode, I thought the actor did a pretty good job. If anything was annoying about him, it was the "Jim Morrison" strut he was doing around the church right at the start of the show.

The one thing they did that surprised me was play the "you don't need to be bitten to turn" angle with the drug dealer dood and I'm assuming the old timer. Clearly the entire population is already infected at this point, it was too late to stop the outbreak before it even really began. Odd as the TWD crew had no idea until well after the outbreak. You'd think it would have been obvious from the get go.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 08-25-2015 at 02:33 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:08 AM   #33
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I really don't hit the panic button until mid season, its going to start slow and we'll know by 4-5 episodes if this will have any traction.

Don't see how people can judge a show so much by the first episode, so rarely does the value of a tv series depend on the quality of episode 1.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:02 AM   #34
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I really don't hit the panic button until mid season, its going to start slow and we'll know by 4-5 episodes if this will have any traction.

Don't see how people can judge a show so much by the first episode, so rarely does the value of a tv series depend on the quality of episode 1.
Not to mention there are some great shows out there that have absolutely brutal pilot episodes. To be fair, it must be a nightmare to write those things.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #35
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
seeing randy from the wire made it an instant win for me. glad to see he made it out of baltimore and that group home!
Randy Wagstaff just can't catch a break.

Survives group home in West Baltimore, moves to LA, ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!

Well, at least he will be somewhat prepared.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2015, 09:24 AM   #36
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
His character was in withdrawal the whole episode, I thought the actor did a pretty good job. If anything was annoying about him, it was the "Jim Morrison" strut he was doing around the church right at the start of the show.

The one thing they did that surprised me was play the "you don't need to be bitten to turn" angle with the drug dealer dood and I'm assuming the old timer. Clearly the entire population is already infected at this point, it was too late to stop the outbreak before it even really began. Odd as the TWD crew had no idea until well after the outbreak. You'd think it would have been obvious from the get go.
Ya, I always thought that was an evolution of the virus. I guess it is possible he was chewed on after he had been shot. He was left alone a while.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #37
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Something that stood out to me was when the junkie kid's roommate started to die in the hospital, the doctor asks how long he has been coding. The nurse says it's been about 30 seconds and the doctor replies that if it goes to 60, the man has to go downstairs. They try shocking him twice, and when there's no response, the doctor is adamant that the man has to go "downstairs, now", and they wheel him out of the room immediately.

All I know of hospital procedures is what I've seen on other shows, but I don't think they would normally start moving someone who is in the middle of a cardiac arrest like that if they hadn't already been dealing with numerous patients turning immediately after dying.

Presumably, it will take people a while to figure out that you need to take out the brain in order to stop the dead. Wherever "downstairs" is, it's probably not a place anyone would want to be. It reminds me of the first episode of the original series when Rick walks past the door in the hospital that is locked shut with "DEAD INSIDE" painted on the outside.

Can't believe I missed that. Also, the way the nurse was stressed when the mother asked about her son escaping seemed abnormal. She let a psychotic patient escape, and then basically says "I had bigger things to worry about". This could suggest the hospital is dealing with something bigger.

In a city that size, you'd assume there would be dozens of people dying in the hospital each day. The basement could be filled with a descent sized swarm of walkers at this point.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #38
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm still waiting to see what they will call the Zombies/Walkers/Biters.
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #39
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

This first episode was underwhelming. I will give it a chance since I want to see how this plays out in a city like LA.

But there's no doubt that zombie fatigue is setting in for me. The pilot for TWD had a very powerful scene where Rick sees his first walker. It was a little scary and very shocking. Those reactions no longer happen for me and its going to be hard to get that back. Maybe the walkers need to start changing or evolving.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #40
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post

I thought maybe the angle they were going with was that the virus originated in the drug scene. Something in the drugs. Girl in the church maybe OD'd then turned. His friend who is the dealer, probably used the product and then turned once he was shot.

I dunno if it necessarily means it's already everywhere to begin with. But maybe it already is and you only have to die to turn.
ScorchyScorch is offline   Reply With Quote