Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #1181
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Some Bernstein guy from the 4th period.
Tre's trying to make all the right moves. Feels good to have an elite GM
Old 06-28-2017, 06:10 PM   #1182
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love Marleau on a 2 year deal with a reasonable cap hit. Any more than that and I'd probably pass though.

He'd be a great winger for Bennett. Or they could put him with Backlund and try Tkachuk with Bennett. Either way would be awesome.
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 06:45 PM   #1183
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
if Brouwer doesn't rebound and the Flames bring in another veteran at the downside of their career this could get ugly. Isn't loading up with washed up vets of the (many) things that started the Av's descent from up and coming team to trainwreck?
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Too much post-apex junk being discussed. No too all these old guys being brought in. Iginla can have a media or PR job around the team if he wants to be back in Calgary with the Flames.
post apex doesnt mean useless.. they just have to be careful bringing these guys in... marleau scored 29 last year.. maybe he's past his prime up that ummm that's a really good goal scoring number..

the avs are just poorly managed.. it wasnt because they brought in one or two vets.. the flames are a super young team.. the core isnt being moved out for patrick marleau... sigh.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IrishSpring2013 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #1184
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

now that it's a nine year ask i think you walk away.

really like the player though

wink wink

is your cat doing singing?
Old 06-28-2017, 06:53 PM   #1185
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe the Flames want to trade for Marleau's rights then sign him to an 8 year deal...7 tops!

He'd be a good fit on this team and on D one of Franson, Oduya, Del Zotto or even Kulikov then a decent back up goalie.

This is already a really fun off season!
Old 06-28-2017, 07:01 PM   #1186
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Boy we'd be in good shape if we didnt have Stajan Bouma or Brouwer.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:03 PM   #1187
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This offseason is more like an.. Awes-season, amirite?!
I can't wait for training camp.. Then pre season!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2017, 07:04 PM   #1188
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
He's 37 and played with Joe Thornton for I'd guess a large part of his production last year. I personally have never been a fan of his and find he's complacent and on the sidelines of the most games from an emotional standpoint.
Scored 27 this past season, which is pretty awesome, but here's a video of him scoring a goal as a 36 year old in the playoffs the year before:

Last edited by FanIn80; 06-28-2017 at 07:07 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 08:00 PM   #1189
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Marleau-Bennett-Lazar
Stajan-Jankowski-Brouwer

#dreams

Term and dollars have to make sense but that would be a really nice fit. Skill, experience, leadership, likely a good pairing/mentor for Bennett. Just checks off all the boxes.

Patrick sharp would be a good fit too, I'm liking the rumours we're hearing from the Flames.
We'd have to think of a good line name for that one

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 06-28-2017, 08:28 PM   #1190
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess of the mystery player who has Treliving's number is Chris Neil.

I have been to enough of those things over the years that there is hits of truth wrapped up in a bit of grandstanding. The point of that story from Treliving was to make mention that players have swung back to considering Calgary a destination than ever was under the front GM’s tenure. That's it, but it’s a feel good message for the assembled season ticket holders, so it plays well.

His addition of calling it a player who could pick their team was the grandstanding part and highly judgemental as to that being the truth or not, so taking it any further then that is taking things down the wrong path. His confirmation that he would sign a vet to put them over the top is another individual peice, not, again, related to the player who called him, either.

My guess is a guys like Marleau and the like don't need to be calling the Flames directly asking for a job just yet.

Last edited by browna; 06-28-2017 at 08:35 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 08:34 PM   #1191
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Tre's trying to make all the right moves. Feels good to have an elite GM
I am a huge fan of Treliving. At the session last night I was chugging the koolaid hard. He is aggressive and smart. I look at Chevy in Winnipeg who is so reluctant to make any moves and the team has been on a treadmill for 5 years.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 08:39 PM   #1192
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
We'd have to think of a good line name for that one
Any line with both Marleau and Lazar would have to be called the Dr. Evil line because it would be a frickin' Shark with frickin' Lazar.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:47 PM   #1193
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Any line with both Marleau and Lazar would have to be called the Dr. Evil line because it would be a frickin' Shark with frickin' Lazar.
That's... not bad actually. Well done.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:25 PM   #1194
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in favor of bringing Marleau to the Flames - even with a 3 year $7M/year contract. Having just speed is useless, but Marleau's proven season after season he can score. Just because he's quiet and not necessarily a hardnose guy, doesn't mean he can't be effective. I never considered him as a good choice, but the more and more I think of it I do think he'd be a great fit. I know the style with the Flames more recently has been to sell this notion of "truculence", but sometimes there's just no substitute for skill and scoring.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:27 PM   #1195
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I'm in favor of bringing Marleau to the Flames - even with a 3 year $7M/year contract. Having just speed is useless, but Marleau's proven season after season he can score. Just because he's quiet and not necessarily a hardnose guy, doesn't mean he can't be effective. I never considered him as a good choice, but the more and more I think of it I do think he'd be a great fit. Sometimes there's just no substitute for skill.
$7MM a year - no thank you! Even $5MM would be a stretch.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:32 PM   #1196
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

What if, purely for security sake, Marleau was offered a 5 year deal with 1.5 million AAV. Super low cap hit but still provides him with 7.5 million in guaranteed money to close out his career. More than enough to retire on in the event he didn't properly invest/prepare for retirement. Not suggesting that's the case at all, just playing the what if game. Hardly a debilitating contract even if his game seriously degrades. I can't imagine the cap recapture penalty would be serious in this kind of deal either.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:36 PM   #1197
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
What if, purely for security sake, Marleau was offered a 5 year deal with 1.5 million AAV. Super low cap hit but still provides him with 7.5 million in guaranteed money to close out his career. More than enough to retire on in the event he didn't properly invest/prepare for retirement. Not suggesting that's the case at all, just playing the what if game. Hardly a debilitating contract even if his game seriously degrades. I can't imagine the cap recapture penalty would be serious in this kind of deal either.
Since he's over 35+ doesn't the cap hit count against the Flames even if he retires?
Old 06-28-2017, 09:36 PM   #1198
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
I think the league might call shenanigans on that one.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:37 PM   #1199
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
My guess of the mystery player who has Treliving's number is Chris Neil.

Last edited by Karl; 06-28-2017 at 09:41 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:45 PM   #1200
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone mentioned one of Bouma/Stajan going for Eddie Lack and I have to say that makes a ton of sense for both sides.

Bouma getting sent down and Stajan getting traded for Lack would do wonders for us logistically speaking with Foo, Janko, Lazar all undoubtedly pushing and some other dark horse players like Klimmer, Mangiapane and Poirier coming back into the fold... it also would make going after a big UFA easier to stomach and I think we could convince a big name vet to take a swing on a one year deal.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Jagr/Marleau
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Ferland
Brouwer - Lazar - Foo
Hathaway, F. Hamilton

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Del Zotto - Andersson
Kulak/Wotherspoon

Smith
Lack

That is a crazy deep team...