Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-27-2017, 01:08 PM   #5181
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rode my bike to work--and for the first time since last summer--and my thighs and butt are crying.

I live west of downtown and it was downhill pretty much the whole way, which doesn't inspire confidence for the ride home.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #5182
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
10 street NW has a multi-use crossing. It's at a red light so there is no confusion about who has the right of way.
What does the sign look like?
Old 06-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #5183
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Now I'm confused... So cyclists can run red lights by pretending to be a pedestrian going through the crosswalk?
Quit being obtuse. You know what he means.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #5184
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
What does the sign look like?
I've never paid too much attention because it's a controlled intersection so bikes are crossing at the same time as pedestrians. I suspect it has something like this yellow bike crossing sign:

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...ltiUseCrossing
Old 06-27-2017, 01:35 PM   #5185
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe this is a multi use crosswalk:

This particular one is in Vancouver where 2nd Ave turns onto the Cambie Bridge. Cars have a yield sign. The crosswalk has the normal pattern in the middle, but on the edges it has dashed lines. If it was pedestrian only, it would have solid lines. As many bikes use this intersection going both ways, it doesn't make sense to have them dismount. In this area there are several intersections that look like this, and as far as I can remember they are all on bike routes.

When I approach this intersection on a bike I always have my hands on my brakes in case a vehicle doesn't yield. I've seen enough cars run through it and/or stop right in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 06-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #5186
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Now I'm confused... So cyclists can run red lights by pretending to be a pedestrian going through the crosswalk?
You are confused.

Think of a crosswalk at an intersection with no lights and no signals for the pedestrians.

If you stay on your bike, you treat it like a yield sign. If cars are coming, you wait.

The cars should not be stopping for you, they have right of way.

If you decide this is scary, get off your bike and walk. You are now a pedestrian. They have to stop for you.

This is equivalent to if you got out of your car and carried it across the street. You should be, and would be, treated as a pedestrian.

Does that make more sense now?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #5187
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If at a red light and the crosswalk has the little man saying walk they can BECOME (not pretend) a pedestrian by dismounting from their bike and walking across the street.
Sorry I missed the part at the end where he said the cyclist could dismount and proceed across.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #5188
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

blah - rode into the wind this morning, and surprisingly the wind has switched and it will not ehlp me going home.

So much for breaking some PB on Strava.

tomorrow my run about about 10 days straight of riding into work ends, as I need to get an oil change for my truck. I believe I have ridden my bike for about 14 days in a row as it has been quite a run of good weather.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #5189
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I splurged and picked up a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt over the weekend. I've put in a few rides with it already and I love it. I've only ever used a standard speedometer to track my current speed and my Fitbit for tracking my rides for Strava.

I do miss having my heart rate information being added to Strava but the convenience and live data while I'm riding is great.

The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 09:58 AM   #5190
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

All of these issues with cars giving cyclist 1m and cyclists giving cars 1m are addressed very simply: take your lane.

If you take your lane, a vehicle pretty much has to give you at least 1m when passing anyway.

If you take your lane, you shouldn't be drifting up on the shoulder past stopped cars. That's dumb, selfish, and dangerous.

It's really, really simple. When you're on a bike, follow the same behaviours and rules you follow when you drive.
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #5191
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I do miss having my heart rate information being added to Strava but the convenience and live data while I'm riding is great.
That device records heart rate but doesn't upload that data to Strava?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:14 AM   #5192
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was riding around the reservoir the other night - between Glenmore landing and the viewpoint - cruising at a gentle cadence into a stiff headwind, so not going terribly fast. I came across an older lady walking towards me with two small dogs - she seemed shocked that a bicycle was on a MUP and yelled "BELL" at me as I passed. One of her dogs was around the centre line, but it wasn't even the slightest concern/didn't make me alter my path at all.

Am I supposed to ring my bell around every gentle curve (not a blind corner)? Carrying on the ride there would have been 50 more curves just like it before getting out of the Weaslehead. Why is it my responsibility to make sure users coming in my direction stay in their own lane?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #5193
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Why is it my responsibility to make sure users coming in my direction stay in their own lane?
Whether it's your responsibility or not, it's certainly in your self-interest to ring you bell whenever passing or going around blind corners. A couple years ago I had a head-on collision with another cyclist going around a curve on that exact stretch of pathway at South Glenmore.

I honestly don't get the aversion to ringing bells. It doesn't cost money, time, or energy. What's the downside?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #5194
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I honestly don't get the aversion to ringing bells. It doesn't cost money, time, or energy. What's the downside?
If every cyclist is always ringing their bell, it becomes background noise that becomes ignored.

Blind corners, I ring mine. Passing somebody who isn't facing me, I also ring it. Gentle corners, and people coming towards me, not unless they are on their left side of the path.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #5195
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
That device records heart rate but doesn't upload that data to Strava?
The FitBit I was using to track my rides collected the heart rate data. This one doesn't.

Wahoo has a heart rate monitor I could get too but I don't need another piece of equipment to keep track of when I ride.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 12:21 PM   #5196
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Was riding around the reservoir the other night - between Glenmore landing and the viewpoint - cruising at a gentle cadence into a stiff headwind, so not going terribly fast. I came across an older lady walking towards me with two small dogs - she seemed shocked that a bicycle was on a MUP and yelled "BELL" at me as I passed. One of her dogs was around the centre line, but it wasn't even the slightest concern/didn't make me alter my path at all.

Am I supposed to ring my bell around every gentle curve (not a blind corner)? Carrying on the ride there would have been 50 more curves just like it before getting out of the Weaslehead. Why is it my responsibility to make sure users coming in my direction stay in their own lane?
She's old and needs something to complain about.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:10 PM   #5197
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whether it's your responsibility or not, it's certainly in your self-interest to ring you bell whenever passing or going around blind corners. A couple years ago I had a head-on collision with another cyclist going around a curve on that exact stretch of pathway at South Glenmore.

50 dings in 2kms would be ridiculous. I do it at blind corners, but not gentle curves where you can't see everything.

The only time I won't ring is if people are walking in my same direction as me, but they're in the wrong lane (ie. left/oncoming side). They inevitably realize how stupid they're being and panic - one goes back to the right lane and the other stays where they are, so I almost always have to slow down. Never sure what people are thinking when they choose to stroll on that side, unless they're from somewhere else in the British empire and forgot where they are.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:23 PM   #5198
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
If every cyclist is always ringing their bell, it becomes background noise that becomes ignored.

Blind corners, I ring mine. Passing somebody who isn't facing me, I also ring it. Gentle corners, and people coming towards me, not unless they are on their left side of the path.

I don't think it would be ignored. If you hear it, you are aware that a cyclist is nearby. It's not falsely indicating that something is happening.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:27 AM   #5199
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
For whatever reason, I just feel like I'm being annoying. Especially on the busy paths by downtown.

I'm all "ding! ding! ... ding! .... ... ding! ding!" and I wonder if everyone is thinking "Shut up already!"

I'm bell shy. I have to fight through it with every ding.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #5200
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
For whatever reason, I just feel like I'm being annoying. Especially on the busy paths by downtown.

I'm all "ding! ding! ... ding! .... ... ding! ding!" and I wonder if everyone is thinking "Shut up already!"

I'm bell shy. I have to fight through it with every ding.
It does run against the car horn culture in North America, where horns are only honked as a sign of extreme displeasure. But in most of the world, horns are simply a way of communicating 'heads up - coming through' to everyone else on the road.

As more people cycle and the cycle paths become increasingly congested, we're going to have to get used to treating our bike horns the way drivers in Delhi and Istanbul treat their car horns. And if people find it irritating, well, it's not as irritating as being suddenly sprawled on the pavement with a sprained wrist. More pedestrians are injured every year from collisions with cyclists than cyclists injured from collisions with cars.
Closed Thread