Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #3981
calgarygeologist
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I saw the new Maserati SUV on the streets in Calgary today. SUV's are so ridiculously generic now that I was certain it was an Infiniti until I saw the portholes and the Maserati grill and crown(?) or whatever their logo is.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 05:44 PM   #3982
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a little update, glass was replaced by Dynasty Auto Glass; they did a stellar job and were able to source the glass faster than both my closest Honda dealers. They vacuumed the interior as well, I can't find a speck of glass anywhere. Definitely put them near the top of your list if you need a glass replacement. Car goes back to Shadow first thing tomorrow.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 07:59 PM   #3983
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I saw the new Maserati SUV on the streets in Calgary today. SUV's are so ridiculously generic now that I was certain it was an Infiniti until I saw the portholes and the Maserati grill and crown(?) or whatever their logo is.
I thought it was very distinct in how ugly it is.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:28 PM   #3984
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Ideally up to 12-15K - I'd probably look into leasing or financing for a Sedan or a Hatchback.
Look for a used Cruze/Malibu or Fusion. The Fusion (2013 or newer) is a decent car, and cheap cause it's domestic.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:32 PM   #3985
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got back from a road trip and my car is pretty dirty on the outside.

Should I wash it a bit before my detailing appointment Tuesday? I wonder it they will have enough time to properly do the exterior.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #3986
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone drive a Kia Rio5? I've been looking at just going new and this one really popped out for me.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #3987
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Just got back from a road trip and my car is pretty dirty on the outside.

Should I wash it a bit before my detailing appointment Tuesday? I wonder it they will have enough time to properly do the exterior.
Well any good detailer should be doing a full 2 bucket wash before any detail, so shouldn't need to, but maybe a quick run through a touchless car was wouldn't hurt.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #3988
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Well any good detailer should be doing a full 2 bucket wash before any detail, so shouldn't need to, but maybe a quick run through a touchless car was wouldn't hurt.
Didn't have time to do anything to it before I took it in. They had no issues and I am very happy with the work they did!
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:22 AM   #3989
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Anyone drive a Kia Rio5? I've been looking at just going new and this one really popped out for me.
How much? Looks like they start at $15k. That seems to me to be the perfect example of a car that shouldn't really exist. Why buy a new Kia Rio5 when you could buy a used GTI or Focus ST or a handful of other small cars that are 10x cooler than a Rio5? The resale on that thing is going to be a disaster and it will really be no fun whatsoever to own.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #3990
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Anybody else notice those ultra-lame colour-changing cars are making a comeback? Putting that paint/wrap on your vehicle is the international sign for a doosh bag. They are so awful.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #3991
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
How much? Looks like they start at $15k. That seems to me to be the perfect example of a car that shouldn't really exist. Why buy a new Kia Rio5 when you could buy a used GTI or Focus ST or a handful of other small cars that are 10x cooler than a Rio5? T.
Because most people who buy a Rio5 need reliable, no-fuss, A to B transportation that allows them to have a car they can depend on at a consistent payment schedule. An off-warranty GTI or ST may be more fun, but it may also spend a few weeks every year at the shop. If that's your only car and you need to get to work or school, it's a pretty big deal.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #3992
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Because most people who buy a Rio5 need reliable, no-fuss, A to B transportation that allows them to have a car they can depend on at a consistent payment schedule. An off-warranty GTI or ST may be more fun, but it may also spend a few weeks every year at the shop. If that's your only car and you need to get to work or school, it's a pretty big deal.
Nah, there are still better options. A Civic would be one if reliability was your chief concern.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #3993
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Nah, there are still better options. A Civic would be one if reliability was your chief concern.
Now you're at least comparing it to a similar appliance, as opposed to a finicky hot hatch. I doubt that Civic is going to be measurably more fun than the Rio though. The Rio will probably give you more gadgets for the price, which is important for a lot of people.

Not that I'm a huge Rio fan. I drove it once and it was pretty uneventful. It does look quite nice though in my opinion...especially compared to the new gen Civic.

My favorite fun small appliance is the Mazda 2. No longer sold though unfortunately.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:41 AM   #3994
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Quote:
Now you're at least comparing it to a similar appliance, as opposed to a finicky hot hatch. I doubt that Civic is going to be measurably more fun than the Rio though. The Rio will probably give you more gadgets for the price, which is important for a lot of people.

My favorite fun small appliance is the Mazda 2. No longer sold though unfortunately.
Well I was initially comparing vehicles based on the same price and style (small hatchback), so it's not like I was proposing he buy an F-150. My point is he can get way more car in that price range if he goes used versus new. I mean, the GST alone on a $16,000 car is $800, there are probably another $500 or so in fees, and then he's left with a car worth $13,500 and dropping the second he drives off the lot.

I realize this is the same old new versus used debate, but I think the points in favour of used are especially pronounced in this price range. $15k can buy any number of very nice, reliable cars in the used market. It's actually a sweet spot, IMO. New cars at $15k are giant lameburgers for the most part. Or the semi-interesting ones would be boring after owning for a short while.

The Kia Rio5 is the poster child for a car that would offer nothing whatsoever to the owner aside from transportation. Without spending a dime more, he can have something much more enjoyable to own and drive. It feels good to be proud of your car as you walk up to it. I can't imagine getting that feeling in a Rio.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #3995
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thoughts on where to go for a brake job? My JKUR is in the market for a little bit of work and since I have the time, may as well do a little price shopping and take a recommendation or two.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #3996
kunkstyle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Now you're at least comparing it to a similar appliance, as opposed to a finicky hot hatch.
The ST is finicky? I figured the RS would be. Surprised the ST is.
kunkstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #3997
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fiat Chrysler diesel vehicles spewed pollution as much as 20 times the legal limit, according to testing by the same researchers who first recorded the excess emissions in Volkswagen AG’s diesel cheating scandal....

The West Virginia University’s Center for Alternative Fuels, Engines and Emissions stopped short of accusing Fiat Chrysler of emissions cheating, but said on-road tests of Jeep Grand Cherokee SUVs and Ram 1500 pickups revealed nitrogen oxide levels at three to 20 times what is permitted by U.S. clean-air rules. Nitrogen oxide, or NOx, can cause smog and acid rain.
"We saw emissions results in simulated on-road cycles on chassis dynamometers that were much lower than the actual on-road results were, suggesting that the vehicle was controlled in different fashions," said Daniel Carder, director of the center.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...sleuths-report

I know this isn't totally new news but if this gets to Volkswagen scale fines, can FCA survive? They obviously can't go cap in hand for a government bailout to pay fines levied by the government. This would ruin them, right? Volkswagen paid over $20 billion in the US alone.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #3998
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've never had a car spend weeks at a shop, and I've had some 20+ year old absolute peices of crap. A 5 year old VW or Ford wouldn't phase me a single bit

Last edited by btimbit; 06-14-2017 at 05:31 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:52 PM   #3999
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Audi A5 Sportback? Yes please!