Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2016, 10:31 PM   #221
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I hope he is better then that. Backlund has topped out as a 3rd line center, weak shot, cant win faceoffs. Don't need another Backlund.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 10:33 PM   #222
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
^ I hope he is better then that. Backlund has topped out as a 3rd line center, weak shot, cant win faceoffs. Don't need another Backlund.
Same here, but at a minimum, the Flames would be in a good spot if they have Monahan - Bennett - Jankowski down the middle. A great mix of size and skill between the three.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:22 AM   #223
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So he is a point per game as a senior. That is progress but I would hold off pencilling him onto our top line. At this level of production, he would have to beat the odds.
I don't think the "odds" apply to him anyways. Didn't face high competition quality his draft year, a featherweight his draft+1 year, learning center his draft+2 year, shoulder injury his draft+3 year before elevating his level of play just in time to have a great playoff, and his Senior year the Friars are the defending champs and top ranked team with a target on their backs seeing every opponent's A++ game. This is simply a player unlike any other prospect to be compared to.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:28 AM   #224
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames have to make room for him if they plan on signing him. They'll have to trade one of Backlund or Stajan, otherwise he'll sign with a team like Columbus in the offseason.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:32 AM   #225
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Flames have to make room for him if they plan on signing him. They'll have to trade one of Backlund or Stajan, otherwise he'll sign with a team like Columbus in the offseason.
Janko is safely ours still, I dont see him being the type to do that and I think we do sign him out of college this summer and get him some pro minutes in stockton to start the season next year. I think we have a player here with Janko and its encouraging to see that management has taken the long road with this prospect.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 01:49 PM   #226
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Janko is safely ours still, I dont see him being the type to do that and I think we do sign him out of college this summer and get him some pro minutes in stockton to start the season next year. I think we have a player here with Janko and its encouraging to see that management has taken the long road with this prospect.
Firstly, the guy has opportunity. He also has an agent, who will likely have more influence than the Flames have over him. Finally, nobody is purely altruistic. He will do what's in his best interest before considering the interests of others.

Not that I think it's a major loss if Janko hits free agency, but to lose him because Burke gave Stajan 4 years is not something I think was wise. Living with that mistake is also not something I think is wise

Last edited by MarkGio; 01-17-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:04 PM   #227
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
A little crazy speculation.

There is plenty of room on this team for a young forward to make his mark. Jankowski won't be handed a spot and I really doubt he expects that. If he does expect that than sure, maybe he holds out until August, but I doubt it. He wanted to sign last year, even with Monahan, Backlund and Stajan on the team, and with Bennett already drafted and waiting to play. The Flames are the ones who wanted him to develop for another year.

This is also oddly missing out on the fact that Granlund is currently holding down one of four center spots on the team right now, and he isn't exactly a lock. Bennett would play the wing another season while he's still adjusting, Granlund can be moved to wing, Jankowski could start his pro career on the wing. Hell, Jankowski probably needs a year in the AHL, regardless if he signs with the Flames or holds out until August.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 06:07 PM   #228
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

He will sign with the Flames because they can give him the play one game burn a year deal...Others cant
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #229
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
He will sign with the Flames because they can give him the play one game burn a year deal...Others cant
If he's done in time for that to happen
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 08:11 PM   #230
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it in Jankowski's benefit to burn a year off his ELC?

I'm satisfied with his progression this year, but he's far from a lock to be an NHLer.

Maybe that extra year of guaranteed income would be seen as a positive for him.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #231
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
A little crazy speculation.

There is plenty of room on this team for a young forward to make his mark. Jankowski won't be handed a spot and I really doubt he expects that. If he does expect that than sure, maybe he holds out until August, but I doubt it. He wanted to sign last year, even with Monahan, Backlund and Stajan on the team, and with Bennett already drafted and waiting to play. The Flames are the ones who wanted him to develop for another year.

This is also oddly missing out on the fact that Granlund is currently holding down one of four center spots on the team right now, and he isn't exactly a lock. Bennett would play the wing another season while he's still adjusting, Granlund can be moved to wing, Jankowski could start his pro career on the wing. Hell, Jankowski probably needs a year in the AHL, regardless if he signs with the Flames or holds out until August.
If Janko looks to this season, I don't know if he'll think he has opportunity to make his mark. The Flames went into the regular season with Byron waived, Granlund in the minors, and Colborne and Raymond out of the line-up. Not to mention Ortio was a 3rd stringer sat just because he wouldn't clear waivers. It's half way through the season and there's a few guys in Stockton who haven't got a shot yet, despite putting up good numbers (ie, Grant, Hamilton, etc.).

I certainly hope he signs with the Flames, but he's gonna find lots of suitors if he hits free agency, so he'll have the opportunity to find the best team with the weakest NHL depth.

Also, I think if Bennett plays one more year on the wing he's no longer an NHL centreman. I can't think of too many players who switch to centre after that many NHL games as a winger.

Last edited by MarkGio; 01-17-2016 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #232
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Also, I think if Bennett plays one more year on the wing he's no longer an NHL centreman. I can't think of too many players who switch to centre after that many NHL games as a winger.
Tyler Seguin played three seasons, 200+ games on the wing before shifting back to the middle.

Quote:
If Janko looks to this season, I don't know if he'll think he has opportunity to make his mark. The Flames went into the regular season with Byron waived, Granlund in the minors, and Colborne and Raymond out of the line-up. Not to mention Ortio was a 3rd stringer sat just because he wouldn't clear waivers. .
Both Granlund and Ortio had opportunities post-training camp. We see training camp as the tent poll time to make the team but it's just one moment. Ortio had a huge opportunity and blew it, sent down, waived, not claimed.

Granlund is now with the team.

Quote:
It's half say through the season and there's a few guys in Stockton who haven't got a shot yet, despite putting up good numbers (ie, Grant, Hamilton, etc.)
Grant played 9 games this season in the NHL, with the Flames.

Don't know if anyone else "deserves" a shot either. No one is really banging on the door. Freddie Hamilton is 24, on his third organization and has 21 points in 32 games. Not exactly blazing saddles there.

Think we're seeing a lot of panic and made up reasoning here.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 01-17-2016 at 08:53 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 09:33 PM   #233
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not sure there is any real reason to be worried about Jankowski not signing.

30 teams in the league covet a player like him - a player with good size, great skating, and who can play a full 200ft game. That is an asset every team in the league tries to find.

Why would Jankowski pick the Flames - I mean, other than the Flames already having showed loyalty to him in drafting him and keeping in touch with him?

How about that the Flames are extremely desperate for size in the their top 6. That is a good opportunity for him - either now or in a few seasons.

How about that the Flames are loaded up with a good YOUNG core of players that seem pretty tight? Ask Doug Hamilton how nice that is, and what his reasons were for refusing to re-sign in Boston (better yet, send Hamilton with Conroy to get Jankowski signed).

How about that as a player entering the NHL, it is nice to be able to play with quality players that can help you achieve success (like the reasons for Shultz signing with the Oilers - though hardly worked out for him). Flames can tell Jankowski: "Listen, we need quality players with size to compliment guys like Gaudreau and Bennett".

Jankowski also has friends in the organization - Gillies and Gilmour at least (I think Hickey as well, as they attended some Flames functions together), as well as familiarity with other players as well.

Flames also have one really strong reason for Jankowski to sign. Bob Hartley. Why is this so important? One season removed from the Jack Adams - which is good, as I imagine most players want to go to an organization that is coached well. However, Bob Hartley has a pretty damn good track record with young kids entering the league, and he has made it no secret how much he values 200ft players - I can only imagine how much he would like Jankowski.

Flames are not going to guarantee him top 6 time, or specific linemates. All they have to to is point out all these reasons as to why Jankowski should sign with them, and I can't imagine there are too many other teams that can provide him with as many. Can he find a spot that has more? I bet he could. However, I don't think any prospect really enjoys the experience of gaining the notoriety of being a player that has refused to sign with their existing team. There is enough opportunity here on the Flames for Jankowski to feel he doesn't need to be another kid who has to move on in order to get a fair shot.

I would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't sign. You never know what can happen, but I would be absolutely shocked if he didn't sign.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 09:38 PM   #234
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tyler Seguin played three seasons, 200+ games on the wing before shifting back to the middle.

Both Granlund and Ortio had opportunities post-training camp. We see training camp as the tent poll time to make the team but it's just one moment. Ortio had a huge opportunity and blew it, sent down, waived, not claimed.

Granlund is now with the team.

Grant played 9 games this season in the NHL, with the Flames.

Don't know if anyone else "deserves" a shot either. No one is really banging on the door. Freddie Hamilton is 24, on his third organization and has 21 points in 32 games. Not exactly blazing saddles there.

Think we're seeing a lot of panic and made up reasoning here.
The only player that hasn't really received a 'fair shot' yet is Arnold - though I do think his injury last year came at the most inopportune time. I do think that the Flames have given everyone who deserved it a shot (and even then, a few undeserved ones as well). I can't imagine anyone inside or even outside the organization (other than Baertschi) looks at the Flames as a team that doesn't give legitimate opportunities to young players.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #235
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I too would be absolutely shocked if Jankowski doesn't sign.

Every year now, there seems to be one guy, but it isn't going to be him.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #236
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Agostino hasnt got a real shot yet, despite being the most consistent player on the farm for a year and a half now. Not that I don't think they want to give him one, just all the fat on the wings.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 12:56 PM   #237
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Agostino hasnt got a real shot yet, despite being the most consistent player on the farm for a year and a half now. Not that I don't think they want to give him one, just all the fat on the wings.
So Jankowski isn't going to sign because Agostino hasn't gotten a "real" shot?

Guess he won't be signing with the Blue Jackets since T.J. Tynan hasn't gotten a real shot either.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:41 PM   #238
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
So Jankowski isn't going to sign because Agostino hasn't gotten a "real" shot?

Guess he won't be signing with the Blue Jackets since T.J. Tynan hasn't gotten a real shot either.
I think you're mixing up two separate conversations that are happening in this thread.

One is about prospects who haven't gotten a shot yet.

One is about Jankowski signing.

They aren't interrelated for everybody. I think the poster you jumped all over was just saying that Agostino hasn't gotten a great shot yet. And apart from a few games a couple years ago that is true. Don't think the poster was suggesting Jankowski signing and Agostino's NHL opportunities are related at all.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 09:51 PM   #239
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jumped all over is a little over the top description.

Yes and no though, you're half right. The discussion about who has or hasn't gotten a shot started from worry about Jankowski signing. MonoMayor wasn't the one who brought that worry forward though, so my bad. Given the way it was initially brought up and since this is the Jankowski thread understandable why I thought they were still connected IMO.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:08 AM   #240
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I don't think it is surprising by any means, but the 1st stage of the Hobey Baker was announced and no Flames prospects were nominated:

https://www.facebook.com/TheHobey/app/169616693395433/
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote