Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2016, 12:28 PM   #101
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Truck Nuts. Negotiate well enough and they'll throw them in, maybe even install them for you.
This month enjoy the same great benefits as our employees.

Purchase any new qualifying vehicle, not only will you receive employee pricing on your truck nuts, but we will hand paint veins on them as well. Free of charge.

Now that's ingenuity working for you.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:53 PM   #102
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
I don't mind the ecoboost, the difference in mileage coming from the 5.4L is huge. I keep thinking it must be near time to fuel up, I look down and there is still over 1/2 a tank. The only thing I don't love about it is it's lacking in off the line power, as soon as the turbo kicks in a couple seconds later it has lots of get up and go though. Haven't towed any trailers yet but I imagine it wouldn't be great towing something heavy without the low end tourqe of the V-8's or diesels. A light trailer like OP is talking about should be fine though.
I think you've got it backwards. The low end torque is what makes the Eco so good. 90% max torque at 1700 rpm. Max of 420 lb.ft at like 2500 rpm. 5.0 v8 max torque 375 at 4250 rpm. The ecoboost is the towing engine. All of the small v8 engines produce their torque at engine screaming rpm levels.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2016, 01:08 PM   #103
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ecoboost is easy to understand.

You can either enjoy the Eco or boost. They are mutually exclusive.

If I'm driving with a heavy foot my mileage sucks.

If I'm being good, I can get great mileage.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #104
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I think you've got it backwards. The low end torque is what makes the Eco so good. 90% max torque at 1700 rpm. Max of 420 lb.ft at like 2500 rpm. 5.0 v8 max torque 375 at 4250 rpm. The ecoboost is the towing engine. All of the small v8 engines produce their torque at engine screaming rpm levels.
I'm just going by feel. When you step on it from a stop the ecoboost seems to lag for a moment before the power kicks in. On my old 5.4L it would jump off the line. Maybe that's horsepower rather than torque. I've never really towed any heavy trailers with a 1/2 ton so I don't have a feel for that.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #105
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm just going by feel. When you step on it from a stop the ecoboost seems to lag for a moment before the power kicks in. On my old 5.4L it would jump off the line. Maybe that's horsepower rather than torque. I've never really towed any heavy trailers with a 1/2 ton so I don't have a feel for that.
Maybe you have too much wood in your box
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #106
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It's turbo lag.

I agree it is somewhat annoying. After a few months you learn to push the pedal down part way to begin with, then the rest of the way. it avoids most of the lag.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:37 PM   #107
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I'm getting a new truck this week. I've test driven a Ram, Sierra, F-150 and just on Saturday a Tundra. The Tundra drove worse than any of the others by a wide margin and was the most expensive. Plus it's really outdated.

The F-150 was nice, but I'm just getting out of a 2012 and I don't think they did enough in their redesign a couple years ago to get me excited about it so I'm going for GMC this time (the new grill looks sick, too). I kind of like it's subtle looks, too.

I did like the Ram, but I couldn't seem to hornswoggle a good deal. I always hear about how cheap they are, but I'm getting way more truck with the GMC for a better deal than the Dodge. Plus I won't have to put up with owning a crappy Dodge.

The Ridgeline is embarrassingly fugly. Honda shizined the bed on that design yet again.
Quick update here. Ended up going F-150 again. I thought the Ecoboost was more fun to drive than the 5.3 V8 in the GM. Plus the interior on the F-150 was a lot nicer. I like the exterior of the GMC better, but interior, powertrain and better price won the day so I'm sticking with F-150. Both trucks are pretty great, though. Can't go wrong with either. I struggled like mad making up my mind.

Last edited by Sliver; 07-27-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:09 PM   #108
Stormageddon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Trucks should have column shift.
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 with the dial shifter. I wish every vehicle I drove had it. It is awesome.

I am very partial to my Ram. Good mileage, very comfortable, powerful. IMO it is the best looking of the trucks right now, but the Chevy's look pretty darn good too.
Stormageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:19 PM   #109
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might suggest going with the guy that has the deepest voice in the commercials. Seems to be very important!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #110
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
I might suggest going with the guy that has the deepest voice in the commercials. Seems to be very important!
Don't forget about the sound of a hammer hitting an anvil. If the commercial lacks that, the truck is for pussies.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #111
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I'm not going to be doing much hauling, I don't live on a farm, I don't even really need a truck specifically (except to tow some light camping setup). It's just what I want.

So... any recommendations?
It may have already been recommended but have you looked at all into a Toyota Tacoma? They can tow ~6500lbs, have a composite bed (no spray liner required), smaller package so easier to drive in the city, you can still buy them with a stick shift if thats your thing, plus they very reliable.

That being said the price compared to a full size trim'd out similarly will be higher; however they have some of the best resale values of any vehicle in NA.

I have a 2013 Double Cab with the manual transmission V6 and I love it. I never bought the truck with the mindest that i would go offroading however after taking it out on some PLUZ trails i was amazed how much it can do right off the lot.

They just did a redesign with the 2016 and they are more 'modern' now with whats available for amenities inside, however i haven't tried one out yet.

My 2 cents
Old 07-27-2016, 07:18 PM   #112
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
It's turbo lag.

I agree it is somewhat annoying. After a few months you learn to push the pedal down part way to begin with, then the rest of the way. it avoids most of the lag.
The F150 has the option of shutting the engine off at a full stop, takes a second to re engage when you take your foot off the brake.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:30 PM   #113
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

The F-150 I just bought has a cool trailer backing up feature, too. YouTube it if you're interested, but basically you hit a button then back up your trailer using a little tiny dial while looking at the screen like a video game. You don't touch the steering wheel, but it is spinning this way and that by itself as you maneuver with what is essentially a joystick and video screen. I pride myself on my trailer backing up skills, but I'm looking forward to trying this out, anyway.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:38 PM   #114
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Currently have a 2010 f150

If i was looking at a new truck id probably check out the newly designed Nissan Titan.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:39 PM   #115
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The F150 has the option of shutting the engine off at a full stop, takes a second to re engage when you take your foot off the brake.

Ah my 2014 doesn't have this but newer ones certainly might.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #116
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
It's just the 2.7L Eco that has it. I like it, but it took a few weeks to get used to. and its more like a 1/2 second to start up... and you get used to.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:55 PM   #117
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
It's just the 2.7L Eco that has it. I like it, but it took a few weeks to get used to. and its more like a 1/2 second to start up... and you get used to.
Scares the crap out of me when I'm making a left turn across traffic.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:58 PM   #118
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Scares the crap out of me when I'm making a left turn across traffic.
Clearly you've never driven a 1986 Tempo.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2016, 01:06 AM   #119
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I drove a 1.4 litre Hyundai Pony, had to hold the doors closed with a bungy cord that did somewhat get in the way of driving being strung from the passenger side to the drivers side door.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:55 AM   #120
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Did your Tempo have a weird hesitation at take off that only appeared randomly? My mom had an 87 and only sporadically would this fataing hesitation appear that almost killed us half a dozen times. She had it back at Ford a bunch and they could never recreate/fix it, but I've never heard of anybody else having that problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: