Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #221
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
I get the strategy of McPhee passing on certain impact quality players that some teams could not protect In return receiving 1st 2nd round picks or another player via 3rd party,. But for this coming season and next if McPhee doesn't build somewhat a competitive team by passing on guys like Neil, Methot, Vatanen, Dumba Kruger talk about a horrendous team. There is doing other GM's a solid and then there is the responsibility he has to those that are going to invest in LV. McPhee has a very realistic opportunity to build a solid 1 through 3 D pairings and superb Goalie tandem. Forwards will be so so. Not great 1st line ok 2nd but really strong 3rd and 4th lines.
Both Neil and Methot are rumoured to have been selected by VGK. I will repeat: the Knights will enter the 2017-18 season as the most highly competitive NHL expansion team in the past several decades. Given what they have to work with it looks plausible that they could finish ahead of the Canucks and Coyotes this season, and will have a HUGE collection of assets to build quickly in the near future. I honestly think McPhee is doing the right thing and Vegas will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #222
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Kulak is whatever, you can draft 5-6 guys all day. Vegas can have him not that worried.
The Flames sure have/have had a glut of homegrown 5-6 guys in the organization to back that claim up.....

Losing Kulak will suck as he could legitimately be the answer to replace guys like Engelland/Wideman/Bartkowski on the cheap for the next few years.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 06-21-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #223
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Because he's been traded to the Flames!
Doubtful we would pay the price it would take after acquiring our #1 a few days ago.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #224
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
You guys think there's a possibility that McPhee didn't want to damage his relationship with other GM's by taking their best players away from them?
Might be part of it but it's not like he's bending over to do anyone any favours. He's getting some quality picks back. Remember, he has to build a stable of prospects as well. There's also a good chance he can flip some of these assets into a solid roster player as well.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #225
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Both Neil and Methot are rumoured to have been selected by VGK. I will repeat: the Knights will enter the 2017-18 season as the most highly competitive NHL expansion team in the past several decades. Given what they have to work with it looks plausible that they could finish ahead of the Canucks and Coyotes this season, and will have a HUGE collection of assets to build quickly in the near future. I honestly think McPhee is doing the right thing and Vegas will be fine.
While true I think both Methot and Neal will be flipped for other assets.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #226
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'm starting to adjust my Brouwer hopes upward, lots and lots of cheap players being taken
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #227
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
I'm thinking about it less from the perspective of what happened to other teams and more from the perspective of the relative pain from losing any one player.
Which is extremely poor thinking. It's all relative. People aren't saying that losing Kulak, or whoever it may be, doesn't have the potential to make the Flames worse. It's just that pretty much ever other team is taking a significantly bigger hit. It's the concept of an expansion draft, a new team takes a player from other team that they find useful. The Flames are just so extremely fortunate that at worst the expansion draft selection will be a minor inconvenience on their roster, at best it may actually help if the team does take someone like Brouwer.

Take a look at the teams directly ahead and directly behind the Flames in the standings and the rumoured picks:

St. Louis - Lost Perron, a 20-25 player
Nashville - Lost Neal, a 25-20 player
Winnipeg - Apparently something worth the incentive not to take a Enstrom, a 22 minute top 4 defender
Calgary - At best a fringe NHL, waiver eligible defenseman?

I mean, it's almost comical whining about the chance of losing Kulak who probably finds himself on the waiver-wire if any of the Flames prospects make a case.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #228
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
You guys think there's a possibility that McPhee didn't want to damage his relationship with other GM's by taking their best players away from them?
No.

He made a deal only when he figured it benefited Vegas.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #229
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
The Flames sure have/have had a glut of homegrown 5-6 guys in the organization to back that claim up.....
They do! If they actually were willing to play them. Maybe this year we actually see one of the Heat guys step up and play FT.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #230
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
In a lackluster draft year. They should have taken one of the established young players the Islanders made available for the expansion draft.
Yeah taking a bad contract and a nothing goalie seems pretty underwhelming to me for a first rounder.

You'd think someone would have pair Vegas a 2nd or similar just to take away the cap space.

They could have had a good young player from the Islanders + another asset.

I'm not a fan of that move.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #231
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
So, if Kulak is indeed VGK's selection from Calgary, what would you have offered the Knights in exchange for them to forego his selection?

Again, this should tell you how valuable a player he is to the Flames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #232
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be upset if they don't take Brouwer. He's definitely due for a bounce back season. Freeing up the money wouldn't suck though
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #233
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
In a lackluster draft year. They should have taken one of the established young players the Islanders made available for the expansion draft.
Yup

Nelson, Bailey, Strome, De Haan, Pulock, etc were all worth more than 15th overall IMO.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #234
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Hard to say - McPhee is a smart GM. He certainly will understand that he's going to require many young AHL bodies in addition to NHL talent in order to build a solid organization that doesn't flounder for 10 years.

I would wager that many of the NHL level players drafted today may not even end up on the final roster in a month or two after trades and other movement has transpired.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:03 PM   #235
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I'm starting to adjust my Brouwer hopes upward, lots and lots of cheap players being taken
If Vegas wants Brouwer, they can still get something additional from Calgary to take him.

The only player with salary rumoured to be going to Vegas without compensation is Neal, who's actually very good.

It's good to hope, but no real reason to expect anything.

But I'm sure crazier things have happened.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:03 PM   #236
J-Rhombus
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Trades cannot be made right now except involving Vegas.
Until tomorrow at 10AM... and Vegas can have prepared side deals.. So who knows!

J-Rhombus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:03 PM   #237
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know Andersson is exempt but if he wasn't, who would you be more afraid to lose? Kulak or Andersson? I'd be much more afraid to lose Andersson. Kulak, meh
Old 06-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #238
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

If Brouwer gets selected, NONE of you are allowed to complain if he subsequently has a return-to-form year.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #239
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
If Vegas wants Brouwer, they can still get something additional from Calgary to take him.

The only player with salary rumoured to be going to Vegas without compensation is Neal, who's actually very good.

It's good to hope, but no real reason to expect anything.

But I'm sure crazier things have happened.
I haven't done the "sprinkler" here in the office yet, don't worry./

Just adjusting my percentages up from 20% Brouwer to maybe 40%
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #240
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
If Brouwer gets selected, NONE of you are allowed to complain if he subsequently has a return-to-form year.
You're not my dad
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote