Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2006, 07:49 AM   #1
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Lawrence Phillips convicted of assault with deadly weapon

Could get tossed in the slammer for 20 years.....

Another one bites the dust
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:58 AM   #2
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The 31-year-old Phillips drove onto a field near Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum after losing a pickup football game on Aug. 21, 2005. He struck two boys, ages 14 and 15, and a 19-year-old man, and narrowly missed four others between 15 and 24 years old, according to the prosecutor.

Wow. What a piece of crap.
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kelvin Anderson wouldn't have done that!
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:37 AM   #4
STAMPEDRED
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Goes to show you what a bright and remarkable GM.... and former head coach we use to and still have!

Barker sure knew how to wreck a team when he got here! LP was the running back we all "had to have" cause everybody knew that Kelvin Anderson was nowhere near as productive or could get along with everyone in the locker room or the media as well as Philips could!
STAMPEDRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAMPEDRED View Post
Goes to show you what a bright and remarkable GM.... and former head coach we use to and still have!

Barker sure knew how to wreck a team when he got here! LP was the running back we all "had to have" cause everybody knew that Kelvin Anderson was nowhere near as productive or could get along with everyone in the locker room or the media as well as Philips could!
Well I gotta tell ya...I agree whole heartedly. When I first moved to Toronto I shared a home with Barker and his family...I had the basement...he had the upper. I was not impressed by his demeanor or his overall knowledge of the CFL. Anyways I digress....I hope he goes to Montreal.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:00 PM   #6
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Well I gotta tell ya...I agree whole heartedly. When I first moved to Toronto I shared a home with Barker and his family...I had the basement...he had the upper. I was not impressed by his demeanor or his overall knowledge of the CFL. Anyways I digress....I hope he goes to Montreal.
I'll jump on this as well. Barker has proven to me he is ignorent and wants nothing but to further himself at others expense.

When he arrived on scene, he went and scouted various Calgary high school football players. He picked out a number of potential players and promised that if they join his football summer camp, he would make a bunch of calls to University and College teams where he had connections and get they boys a couple of tryouts. He went on to praise himself on the radio (Football Friday's ont eh Fan 960) for being such a good semaritan. He never made one attempt to help those kids!! HE just took their money for the camp, and ran a very lack luster teaching session in the process.

What a tool!

That said, he does seem to be doing a good job with bringing in unknown players from the USA.... but he is still a tool
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #7
STAMPEDRED
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I actually met a guy who tried out for the Stamps this year in the last week of June at a camp in Sask. He had just been cut a couple weeks earlier... but I asked him what he thought of Barker and he said he treats the world to you if he was the one that "found" you, but if someone else scouted you and brought you to camp... well, too bad, so sad. He pretty much ignores you.

He also said that Cope and Lewis were terribly immature! I think I have a hard time not believing him on that one!!

But yeah, we both agree the guy is a tool!
STAMPEDRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:46 PM   #8
red '00
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can't believe we ever signed that ****ing wacko
red '00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:30 PM   #9
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone who listened to Prime Time Sports last night, may have a different of opinion after they had Barker on him talking for 10 minutes about Phillips.

Barker has known Phillips since he was almost 10...Phillips has had mental issues his whole life. Fighting for his food every day from the age of 8 to early teens, living in group homes.

Pretty deep stuff Barker got into. He admits he gave the guy every chance...beause he was a special athlete regardless of his off field issues. Phillips broke down, apologizing to Barker the day Barker released him from the Stamps, knowing that he's screwed every chance.

As close as those two were, Barker hasn't talked to him since that day...and believes the Phillips going from jail to jail will probably be the end game....mainly because its the type of discipline and structure Phillips was used to growing up.

Sad..but great insight by Barker last night. Pretty easy to judge from the press box and read the odd press clipping to make judgements.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:53 AM   #10
cgy2london
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
Kelvin Anderson wouldn't have done that!
ahahha thats exactly what i was thinking lol
cgy2london is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:40 PM   #11
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

2 year old bump

Sentenced to 10 years in prison

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=2515...headlines_main
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:09 PM   #12
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mostly hate him for this...

rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #13
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Phillips is being charged with killing his cellmate.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...000/story.html

Quote:
Former CFL star Lawrence Phillips has been charged with murder in the death of his cellmate at a Central California prison.
Phillips is suspected of killing 37-year-old Damion Soward at Kern Valley State Prison in April. Officials determined Soward was strangled. Soward is the cousin of former USC and Toronto Argonauts receiver R. Jay Soward.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote