Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
michalek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default property staging

Hey
I have condo for sale and I am looking for someone to stage it for me .
I was wondering if anyone did it, if so can you recommnt good company to work with. Also I have no idea how much service like that cost .
Any tips and pointers would be much appriciated
michalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:22 AM   #2
DOK
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

You really should be able to do this yourself, just pack most all your junk away, leave out some decoration type things, leave the lighting right, some music, and bam, your done.

Actually, when I sold my condo, the agent staged it for me, she came with framed pictures, vases, flowers, lamps and even a chair to help sell my house, all free of charge. She told me how to display my stuff and did a great job with it. No, I don't remember who it was, this was like 4 years ago, sorry.

You should honestly just clear all clutter, box it up and put it in the garage, keep minimal personal items and think like a buyer. The most important part is the right price when selling, don't over price it, too long on the market and you'll be scarred.
DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:27 AM   #3
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would recommend doing it yourself, or getting a friend/family member with a bit of an eye for interior design to help you. Get rid of personal pictures, keep things minimal and think like a buyer, not the home owner.
Go into sales centers at new condo buildings and walk through their display homes for ideas.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was going to suggest just getting an Ikea catalog and try to make your room look like that. But then I actually looked in the Ikea catalog, and changed my mind.

See below.

Jedi Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jedi Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2009, 01:40 AM   #5
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some good advice that a home stager gave me once ... decorate it like a 5 star luxury hotel.

Take the garbage pails out of the bathrooms and every other location except the main kitchen bathroom. Keep the kitchen garbage empty.

Only have 4 or 6 place settings of dishes in the cubboards and a couple of cooking pots. You want the cubboards to look huge inside. Similarly, use only a few towels in the linen closet and on the towel bar in the bathrooms, and use new towels.

Clean out the showers and tubs; have nothing in them. No soap, no shampoo, no sponges, etc.

In the entry, use only a small (and ussually lightly colored)floor mat. The smaller mat makes the entry look larger.

People that view the home dont seem to connect 2 and 2 and realize that nobody could ever live like that. They see clean, sleek and tons of space. The space allows them to visualize their own possessions in the space, and allows them to visualize their lives there. That is also why you get rid of all personal items like pictures, religious symbols, etc, as mentioned in a previous post.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Draug For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2009, 03:06 AM   #6
I_am_Beast
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

easy rule of thumb, anything personal you remove, anything you don't want to be tossed into the sale... ie tv, art work ect... you remove

only reason you need to stage a place is if it's totally empty and if so it'll cost you around 5 k to stage an entire place
I_am_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:10 AM   #7
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Beast View Post
only reason you need to stage a place is if it's totally empty and if so it'll cost you around 5 k to stage an entire place
Every house should be staged before sale. Staged homes sell a lot faster than houses that are not staged. Unless your home is immaculate regardless, then you really should stage (whether by a pro or by yourself)
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:23 AM   #8
I_am_Beast
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Every house should be staged before sale. Staged homes sell a lot faster than houses that are not staged. Unless your home is immaculate regardless, then you really should stage (whether by a pro or by yourself)

Duh thats what i ment, but if you follow along with the rest of the sentence it was based on a totally empty place, thus paying someone to do it....

Its just common sense.... if empty pay to have it done, if not remove personal items and items you wouldn't part with if the buyer wants them.... clean clutter, clear closets ect common sense
I_am_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When we sold our last place we sold our dressers because we didn't want to pay to move them across the country and because it made the bedroom look much bigger.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:41 AM   #10
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My Aunt and Uncle sold their home in Victoria 4 or 5 years ago.
The Realtor helped them stage it.... I still remember that she (the realtor) brought over Pillsbury dough to bake in the oven. It sounds crazy, but it worked. They had to choose their buyer from multiple offers.
I guess it's possible that some buyers might hate the smell of fresh baked bread.
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #11
JerzeeGirl
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by algernon View Post
The Realtor helped them stage it.... I still remember that she (the realtor) brought over Pillsbury dough to bake in the oven. It sounds crazy, but it worked.
If you watch a lot of those home staging shows on TLC, A&E etc you'll often see that fresh baked cookies/bread trick being used just before an open house.....it subconsciously makes people relax and feel at home apparently.
JerzeeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by algernon View Post
I guess it's possible that some buyers might hate the smell of fresh baked bread.
Hookers and blow works even better.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #13
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Hookers and blow works even better.
But expect the offer to come with hookers and blow included. If you're wanting to keep your hookers and blow, I wouldn't display them.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #14
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

We just went to one of those furniture rental places and rented some furniture, staging was pretty expensive.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #15
BuzzardsWife
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

get rid of personal things, especially photos! people cant imagine it as their home if they see family photos..bake sliced oranges sprinkled with cinammon ..less messy than dough and as effective..fresh flowers are really important! a little one in the bathroom and one in the master bedroom for sure..make sure everyhting is super clean..hire a cleaner for a day if you have to..i have a good eye for staging..if i knew you i'd come help!
Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #16
BuzzardsWife
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.househunting.ca/Selling-H...a-03d8f2a7176b