Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2023, 03:00 PM   #61
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Damage?

- reported 7 million dead (true numbers a lot more)
- 300 million with lasting health problems
- world economy brought to it's knees that might take a another decade if ever to get back
- made about 10% of people not to trust medical professionals and even more not to trust government leaders

And there's more, yeah, lots of damage
Old 07-28-2023, 03:03 PM   #62
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Yup. If the nukes start to fly, aim one of those things right at my forehead
I've thought that for quite a while now. While I'm as fond of the Mad Max/World Has Ended type of movies as the next guy, there's no way I want to actually LIVE in that.

Ground Zero. Nice and fast.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 03:03 PM   #63
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I do hope that in some ways it'll make kids more resilient in the future.

I have no doubt that educationally and socially that giant gap is going to create some hurdles, but hopefully they can overcome those hurdles and come out stronger on the other side.
Not with them having access to social media, they gonna be ####ed.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 03:38 PM   #64
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel super bad for the kids many of which have suffered, arguably, significant developmental and social delays. I know multiple teachers (elementary through high school) and they all observe the same.

And like many other comments the effect on adults and families can’t be under stated.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 03:38 PM   #65
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Working in health care has been interesting to say the least. I can say with absolute certainty that we are very fortunate that we had access to vaccines prior to the delta wave (winter 2021) which seemed to primarily affect the unvaccinated population. Our resources at the time were stretched, intensive care units were over capacity, with different areas in the hospital being made into maskshift ICUs to meet the demand. There were plans for how to ration ventilators and we did have to ration specific medications. Now compare that to the scenes from India where there was a breakdown in their society with people dying on the streets and funeral pyres along with a failure of basic supplies like oxygen.

I am still upset at the segment of the population that put our healthcare system to the brink than then acted superior about it. The truth is that their selfishness didn’t cost us only because of the actions of the vast majority of the population.

I sometimes walk by places where we had 20+ patients intubated and proned in a large open room and think of how ####ed up it all was and how much worse it could have been.

Last edited by Mean Mr. Mustard; 07-28-2023 at 03:41 PM.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 03:59 PM   #66
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I honestly can’t believe more people can not admit they were duped and lied to with Covid.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 04:07 PM   #67
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I honestly can’t believe more people can not admit they were duped and lied to with Covid.
I know, all the anti vaccine idiots who ignored 99.5% of scientific research and instead searched high and low to find experts who would conform to their world view. All those morons who would rather take their medical advice from someone with a YouTube channel than a near unanimous opinion held by some of the most highly educated and respected people in the world. Now don't get me wrong there were some people who disagreed and who had impressive credentials but at the same time science works by looking at the whole body of evidence and not just those sources that are most convenient for your world view.

The same people who are looking for a conspiracy about everything are unsurprisingly the same people who found a conspiracy in this as they do anything.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 04:09 PM   #68
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
*You're someone I dislike and I don't want to see your face.*

"Sorry, maybe next time. I'm worried about Covid."
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 04:15 PM   #69
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree 100% with this statement.

I also assume we completely disagree about which people we think this statement applies to.
Old 07-28-2023, 04:20 PM   #70
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Says, by far, the most easily duped person on CP.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 04:33 PM   #71
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great to see this argument come back. Really missed it
Jiggy_12 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 04:43 PM   #72
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Its like a well-worn pair of shoes. Just so comfortable and broken-in.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 04:45 PM   #73
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 04:52 PM   #74
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
But Yoho is right. We all died from the vaccine. And now we’re all in hell, which is reading a COVID thread where Yoho participates.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 04:53 PM   #75
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The global learning loss has been called catastrophic by UNICEF and other education and child welfare bodies.

Quote:
Nearly 1.6 billion learners across the globe endured school closures that lasted from a few months to two years, and the consequences of these learning gaps will reverberate for generations, according to a recent report from the World Bank, UNESCO and UNICEF. Students now risk losing $17 trillion in lifetime earnings, or about 14% of today’s global GDP, because of COVID-19-related school closures and economic shocks.

https://www.latimes.com/california/n...sletter-8-to-3
Quote:
Globally, the harm that school closures have done to children has vastly outweighed any benefits they may have had for public health. The World Bank says the share of ten-year-olds in middle- and low-income countries who cannot read and understand a simple story has risen from 57% in 2019 to roughly 70%. If they lack such elementary skills, they will struggle to earn a good living. The bank estimates that $21trn will be wiped off their lifetime earnings—equivalent to about 20% of the world’s annual gdp today.

https://www.economist.com/leaders/20...t-on-education

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 07-28-2023 at 05:01 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 04:59 PM   #76
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I agree that closing schools to the extent they did was likely a big mistake and hurt low income families disproportionately. That should have been one of the last measures to be taken.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 05:00 PM   #77
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I agree that closing schools to the extent they did was likely a big mistake and hurt low income families disproportionately. That should have been one of the last measures to be taken.
Too many Yoho dummies out there, they had to do it.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 05:10 PM   #78
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Too many Yoho dummies out there, they had to do it.
They did have to do it, but they should have done it better. The initial knee-jerk reaction was a mistake, if I were to take issue with anything it would be the abysmal incompetent lack of planning for prolonged remote learning.

Yes, some students are going to suffer more than others, but again, some of that cant really be helped, its understandably difficult to plan for the completely unforeseen.

But at that point it should have been 'All Hands on Deck' prepping contingencies for the next school year that was uncertain regarding 'in-person' or 'remote.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 05:20 PM   #79
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our kid’s schools seemed very prepared. I know this wasn’t the case everywhere.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 05:20 PM   #80
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remote learning works - kinda - for motivated kids who have educated and engaged parents. It’s an abysmal failure for kids who struggle with learning or have chaotic home lives. No amount of preparation can fix that.

The only silver lining to the covid learning catastrophe is that the loss has been so severe and so well-documented by education and child welfare bodies that we won’t see those kinds of mass closures happen again. Going forward, authorities will do everything humanly possible to keep in-person schools running.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote