Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2023, 12:27 PM   #41
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
Life is three things, pain, uncertainty, and hard work. I told my doctor that, and he said, "You forgot taxes".
Taxes are pain, uncertainty and hard work.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 12:34 PM   #42
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Covid walked a tightrope of being severe enough to cause major damage to health and infrastructure but not severe enough for many to take seriously. If it had killed kids at a much higher rate you can bet your ass it would have been handled differently.

After seeing how people reacted during the pandemic - from the hoarding to the tantrums - I'm convinced that if/when we face a serious crisis, we're all as good as dead within days.

- Surferguy

Last edited by Puppet Guy; 07-28-2023 at 12:40 PM.
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 12:39 PM   #43
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
After seeing how people reacted during the pandemic - from the hoarding to the tantrums - I'm convinced that if/when we face a serious crisis, we're all as good as dead withing days.
Oh yes. If we face a serious crisis I definitely want to be among the first to go because it is going to be grim as hell.

"The Walking Dead" will look like a Tropical Holiday in Comparison.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 12:51 PM   #44
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh yes. If we face a serious crisis I definitely want to be among the first to go because it is going to be grim as hell.

"The Walking Dead" will look like a Tropical Holiday in Comparison.
Yup. If the nukes start to fly, aim one of those things right at my forehead
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 12:55 PM   #45
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Yup. If the nukes start to fly, aim one of those things right at my forehead
"You gotta fight for the survival of the Human Race!!"

- What? This lot? Not a chance. We had a good run, lets not forget, it was our actions that led us to this point so we werent exactly 'killing it.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 12:58 PM   #46
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was very fortunate through CoVid. My company was a big beneficiary of CoVid forcing everyone home, kids were young, my daughter had to mask up for Kindergarten and that's it.

I have had it 2 or 3 times now (4 shots) and last time was just a nasty cold where i lost smell and taste for a week. (Test came out negative, but assuming it was CoVid since i have NEVER lost smell/taste before)

Haven't lost anyone close to me to it, and no one in my immediate circle is suffering from any long effects either.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 01:06 PM   #47
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that what he was getting at here with the non-medical side of things is that there was a high "societal cost". There are still ongoing, significant ramifications and repercussions reverberating through North America. I listed to a podcast a few weeks ago (This American Life) about Florida. Some people were moving there, specifically because of their perceptions of it being more free, while others were leaving due to the politics.

No matter which side you were on, it can't really be argued that there are enormous changes that came about due to Covid and it's handling. People who were away from family across the border or in other countries are no longer as willing to take that risk in case another pandemic occurs. They've sold properties elsewhere specifically because of the border, and while we all might have our opinion on these things, look no further than Gaudreau moving to Columbus.

The sheer distrust of authority and experts has definitely seen a huge rise over the past few years. Then you have the overreach of government in some of the actions taken, and the ongoing ramifications of that. It's just not something that you undo overnight.

I have thought about this lately as well, because it sure seems like we have caused a lot of damage in some areas.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 01:18 PM   #48
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was curious what direction this thread was going to take. My first thoughts were about all the things that we used to take for granted that just don't happen anymore, things that stopped and haven't restarted.

For example, taking an in-person cooking class (makes for a fun date night). SAIT used to have numerous options on their site. I did a couple different events at The Highwood, and did one at Sunterra Keynote's CommunityTable. Those have gone away and not come back so far. Only options now are ATCO's Blue Flame which is geared toward corporate or large personal events rather than something you can buy tickets for two people and join in, or Cuisine et Château in Kensington which does look promising. But the variety of options has dropped and it started with COVID shutting things down.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 01:28 PM   #49
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I was curious what direction this thread was going to take. My first thoughts were about all the things that we used to take for granted that just don't happen anymore, things that stopped and haven't restarted.

For example, taking an in-person cooking class (makes for a fun date night). SAIT used to have numerous options on their site. I did a couple different events at The Highwood, and did one at Sunterra Keynote's CommunityTable. Those have gone away and not come back so far. Only options now are ATCO's Blue Flame which is geared toward corporate or large personal events rather than something you can buy tickets for two people and join in, or Cuisine et Château in Kensington which does look promising. But the variety of options has dropped and it started with COVID shutting things down.
https://www.cookbookcooks.com/cooking-classes ... we did this with some friends. It was fun !
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 01:40 PM   #50
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we became socially fractured in ways that we've never seen before. I was lucky in not losing any loved ones, but there are a few with long covid which is unfortunate to see... but we count our blessings that was all we had to deal with.

Mindset wise, I changed. I want mortgage freedom 45 and probably I'll transition towards being financially prudent and 9-5/part time evaluation starting at age 50-55. It'll be kind of fun to travel like crazy around that age, resources and health range while also occasionally meeting up with our kids as they do a little bit of a global trek to expand their horizons in their own right. I also started taking on more risk to accumulate more earlier than later. My yearly gambling budget also went from like $50-100 per year to like $500-1000 per year (50/50, hospital lotteries, occasional quick picks etc.)
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 01:41 PM   #51
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone kept up with their pandemic hobbies?

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 01:43 PM   #52
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

Covid stole the lunch buffet at Regency Palace. #neverforget
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 01:47 PM   #53
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
Life is three things, pain, uncertainty, and hard work. I told my doctor that, and he said, "You forgot taxes".
Love…you forgot love.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 01:52 PM   #54
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a family history of Covid, but I seemed to have dodged a bullet, but in my early 50s I got diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes six months after having Covid - but the symptoms were there for at least three months.

Prior to diagnosis, I nearly passed out while skiing at Sunshine - I put this down to overheating and it affecting my MS symptoms (I’m a collector of chronic diseases), but with hindsight, I was probably having a hypo. I ate a Clif bar as I took the gondal back to the parking lot and felt better soon after.

Don’t know if having Covid triggered something that led to the onset of diabetes, but the diabetic nurse was pretty interested when I told her about when I had Covid.

For me, it is what it is, but my heart goes out to people and families who it affected more.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 01:53 PM   #55
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damage?

- reported 7 million dead (true numbers a lot more)
- 300 million with lasting health problems
- world economy brought to it's knees that might take a another decade if ever to get back
- made about 10% of people not to trust medical professionals and even more not to trust government leaders

And there's more, yeah, lots of damage
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 02:05 PM   #56
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
https://www.cookbookcooks.com/cooking-classes ... we did this with some friends. It was fun !
Good find, I think I did see this one, but it looks like they're only doing kids classes for the summer. Their usual classes return in September.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 02:14 PM   #57
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
Has anyone kept up with their pandemic hobbies?
TBH, I kinda used the pandemic to try a lot of different things to see if I'd enjoy them. A few I'm happy to report I'll never do again (ie: sourdough), but others like making stuff for high tea, baking bread/buns, charcoal bbq etc. I continue to do. It's stuff I've always done I presume but I expanded the recipes and frequency of what I make now.

A chance to do repairs around the house and tinker with convenience technology was fun. I kept the good stuff and I turfed the crappy stuff.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 02:19 PM   #58
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I have no doubt it did some damage. Kids missed out on a lot of social interaction and just being kids. Families that lived apart, often had to stay apart and couldn't be with each other even on holidays or special occasions. Many businesses shuttered and never bounced back.

On the positive side of it, I didn't do any business travel for 2 years. I worked remotely and got to hang out with my wife and kids. For the most part, it was a gift of time that I would not have been able to experience otherwise.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 02:35 PM   #59
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was actually thinking about this from a “sick day” perspective the other day. I was responsible for running our lost time numbers during covid and unfortunately with WFH and policy changes there was a ton of noise in our data to make any solid conclusions about overall corporate impact. Anecdotally, a common comment around the office is that people are getting colds more frequently, with worse impacts, and longer recovery times than before covid. We’ve actually had a few cases of pneumonia that required hospitalization. I’m assuming we are seeing more sick days taken now vs prior to covid, but being able to WFH while your sick instead of taking a sick day likely skews the numbers too much to do any proper analysis.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 02:44 PM   #60
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I have no doubt it did some damage. Kids missed out on a lot of social interaction and just being kids. Families that lived apart, often had to stay apart and couldn't be with each other even on holidays or special occasions. Many businesses shuttered and never bounced back.

On the positive side of it, I didn't do any business travel for 2 years. I worked remotely and got to hang out with my wife and kids. For the most part, it was a gift of time that I would not have been able to experience otherwise.
I do hope that in some ways it'll make kids more resilient in the future.

I have no doubt that educationally and socially that giant gap is going to create some hurdles, but hopefully they can overcome those hurdles and come out stronger on the other side.