Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2014, 12:21 AM   #1
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default SPUDS - Home grocery delivery?

SPUD.CA

Anyone ever used them before? Seems like a pretty cool idea. I can grocery shop at home and have it delivered to my house. Organic and local as well to support our local farmers.

Prices don't seem that far off from the normal chains, and for the added convenience, it seems awesome.

Last edited by wooohooo; 10-21-2014 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Spud.ca not spuds.ca
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:33 AM   #2
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

My sister-in-law has used SPUD for about a year and has very, very good things to say. The products are all high quality, organic and non-organic options, and the website is pretty easy to use.

She argues that the price differential (when it exists) is certainly worth the convenience and the time savings and isn't really noticeable on the grocery budget.

Frankly, after the Q&A session with her, I'm certainly intending to try them out. Seems like a great service...

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #3
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used them for a while and my issue was that I couldn't use the food anywhere near fast enough. It was good, but would arrive completely ripe and ready to be eaten. There was no way we could get through everything in time though. We were setup for some kind of harvest box, so every week we had a different box of produce. I assume my wife added some stuff or swapped it out. We stopped after a while though due to us having to toss a bunch.

I think it's a good service though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #4
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

We are trying them out this week. As you can probably guess, price is a big issue so I made sure the prices on all items we will be buying are comparable. They are, and in fact cheaper for some items compared to the traditional grocery store. The downside is that they only deliver once per week so you can't get multiple deliveries if you need something quick or forgot to order something
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
Rjcsjc62
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Overall it is a very good and convenient service and would recommend it.

We used to use this weekly, as they delivered on Wednesdays. We could go shopping on the weekend, and if we missed anything or just wanted to add fresher produce we would place an order for the week. Probably did 30 - 40% of our grocery shopping with SPUD.

They moved our date to Sunday about a year ago and we haven't used them since. If we needed something on a weekend we could get it ourselves. Which is a shame, but I guess they have limitations with being a small outfit.

They do make mistakes, but they are good dealing with them, whether it was an added item on the bill that wasn't delivered, or if a produce item wasn't good enough. A quick phone call and they would adjust the account accordingly. I don't remember ever having to argue or wait long on the phone.

Just be sure to check each item on the bill when it arrives.
Rjcsjc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default SPUDS - Home grocery delivery?

We use Spud quite often, primarily for staples (Milk, Bread, eggs, produce, etc) for us it really takes away the demand of having to grocery shop, we always have food coming in, which helps our schedule. If you put any value on your time the price differential is worth it for the service.

Apparently Sunterra Market also does delivery, and I believe they are more flexible (they will deliver whenever you want), but have yet to try them...spud has a pretty decent website/app which also helps.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
SPUDS.CA

Anyone ever used them before? Seems like a pretty cool idea. I can grocery shop at home and have it delivered to my house. Organic and local as well to support our local farmers.

Prices don't seem that far off from the normal chains, and for the added convenience, it seems awesome.

hey its SPUD.ca
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We used to use it about five years ago - used it for a couple years, took a break in the summer when we had ample fresh produce from our garden. I loved the convenience of it, but we found at the end, the quality started to lack and the organic food became much more available and cheaper in grocery stores compared to SPUD. I'd almost consider it again just to ensure we had fresh veggies in the house all the time.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
hey its SPUD.ca
Whoops. Thanks. Fixed
Old 10-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #10
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I could see this being great for a family, but being just myself it would be pretty hard getting through all that produce. Hmm seems pretty good, might just give it a try and see how it's like. Thanks guys!
Old 10-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife and I have been using it for just over a year now. I think it's great for fresh produce, and if you monitor what's on sale and adjust your meal plans accordingly, it isn't really more expensive. The flavour of their food is FAR better than what you'd find in a coop/safeway etc.

I think the best part is that I now only have to move three bins from our front doorstep to the kitchen rather than lugging the 30 grocery bags in from the van.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #12
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

some of there meats are more than double in price compared to coops hormone/antibiotic free meats.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #13
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminator View Post
some of there meats are more than double in price compared to coops hormone/antibiotic free meats.
Not when you get them on sale! That's the key. Adapting your meal plan to what's on sale.

We still make our trips to Safeway every week for certain things, but that trip is now much quicker and much cheaper. It also helps that we are a family of 6, and would be much harder for a single person or even a couple. We order a lot of things in bulk and freeze them...ie. blueberries.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #14
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

"Organic" has become a very successful brand, but I would question whether such products are more nutritious, better tasting, or better for the environment. Not worth paying the big difference in price compared to conventional produce.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/i...t-really-show/

Last edited by troutman; 10-21-2014 at 11:56 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #15
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
"Organic" has become a very successful brand, but I would question whether such products are more nutritious, better tasting, or better for the environment. Not worth paying the big difference in price compared to conventional produce.
Seemingly more nutritious, at least for antioxidants, though I didn't click on any of the links, just read article itself.

http://earthweareone.com/scientists-...hey-found-out/

We tried one week of SPUD a few weeks ago. Really convenient, but also I found it pretty expensive for what you get. Maybe I'll just look for sales. I'll try it again this week to see what I can get.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #16
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

there is also Green Earth Organics who do home grocery delivery.

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #17
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What's everyone's experience with the "My Fresh Harvest Box"? Are you typically happy with what you get? I realize you can customize it, but do you sometimes expect certain items and it messes up your meal plans when you don't get them?
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #18
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/new-organic-farming-meta-analysis-what-does-it-really-show/
I'd have to say that meatsand dairy, yes there is a massive difference In both taste and health benfits. Those hormones and antibiotics eventually enter our system.

Vegetables, I'm going with it just becuase I don't want pestacides on me food.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #19
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
What's everyone's experience with the "My Fresh Harvest Box"? Are you typically happy with what you get? I realize you can customize it, but do you sometimes expect certain items and it messes up your meal plans when you don't get them?

I hope you like cauliflower cause it's ALWAYS in there! Other stuff comes and goes. My wife goes online weekly to adjust the order as needed.

We like the service - it forces us to eat better I think. Quality is good, much better in average than Community - I always found their produce lacking.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #20
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

One strong suggestion - the produce is always wet and can spoil more quickly as a result (depending on the vegetable) Air it out on a towel on the counter for an hour to let it dry and it lasts much longer.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post: