Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #81
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My thoughts:

- It looks horrible
- They probably don't want to maintain lawns/etc. On that note it's more practical than gravel/mulch/etc.
- Possibly they have kids who want more room for street hockey / bball / etc.
- Based on my neighborhood, looks a lot better than the weeds / unmaintained lawn / etc alternatives.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #82
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought about doing my lawn, no front attached garage though. Was told "no dice pal" by the town of blackfalds. I'm on a corner lot that is really narrow in the front, and super wide in the back.

I wish that was sweet sweet concrete whenever I come home and can't park in front of my house.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #83
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.thecoarsecut.com/the-obso...american-lawn/
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...al-grass-lawn/
http://goerwitz.name/drupal/index.php?q=essays/mowing

When newcomers arrive in a neighbourhood, and question the status quo, perhaps it is because the status quo is stupid. In this case, even though their solution is inelegant and suboptimal, in their defence tiny patchwork front lawns are a pretty dumb use of space, money, and effort.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knalus For This Useful Post:
#-3
Old 10-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #84
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
When newcomers arrive in a neighbourhood, and question the status quo, perhaps it is because the status quo is stupid. In this case, even though their solution is inelegant and suboptimal, in their defence tiny patchwork front lawns are a pretty dumb use of space, money, and effort.
I really dislike homes that have a deep setback and a deep front yard. It is a huge waste of space. I would rather have that extra space in my back yard so that I could enjoy it (build a pool or a skating rink or whatever.) Front yards are useless.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #85
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of me thinks, 'live and let live' and the other part of me hopes they have drainage issues which lead to cracked foundations and/or destroyed underground utilities that require ripping up their entire 'driveway'.

It looks awful. Can't wait to move out of the NE. Thankfully none of the people on my street have done this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #86
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't understand all the front lawn hate. A lot of communities have alley parking and the front street usually looks really good and makes the neighborhood inviting.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #87
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
I don't understand all the front lawn hate. A lot of communities have alley parking and the front street usually looks really good and makes the neighborhood inviting.
I don't think its hate for lawn. It's just an impractical use of space. You have to water, mow, weed, pick up any garbage that got blown onto it from the people who can be bothered to find a garbage bin... and you don't get any enjoyment other than pride in it not looking bad. The major thing for me, is that there is no privacy. What would I do in the front yard? Look at cars drive by? Turn the sprinklers on dogs that start peeing on my crab apple tree?

I like the zero-scaping that Hugh Jahrmes posted above. Just has to be done right so it doesn't look terrible in a few years.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #88
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I don't think its hate for lawn. It's just an impractical use of space. You have to water, mow, weed, pick up any garbage that got blown onto it from the people who can be bothered to find a garbage bin... and you don't get any enjoyment other than pride in it not looking bad. The major thing for me, is that there is no privacy. What would I do in the front yard? Look at cars drive by? Turn the sprinklers on dogs that start peeing on my crab apple tree?

I like the zero-scaping that Hugh Jahrmes posted above. Just has to be done right so it doesn't look terrible in a few years.
The Prestwick and McKenzie Towne areas did a nice job with decreasing setback. Most homes down there are only setback ~5 to 10 feet. The lots in general aren't very deep but at least the homes have a decent sized back yard in most cases.

We have a 30.5 foot setback and it is a huge waste. 20 extra feet in my back yard would be awesome.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:35 AM   #89
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jahrmes View Post
I thought about doing my lawn, no front attached garage though. Was told "no dice pal" by the town of blackfalds. I'm on a corner lot that is really narrow in the front, and super wide in the back.

I wish that was sweet sweet concrete whenever I come home and can't park in front of my house.

new part of Crackfalds?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #90
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default northeast Calgary residents pave entire front lawns

Yep.. The bark chunk / mulch they used is absolute #### though and will pretty much all have to be replaced every year or two to maintain appearance. Still less work than conventional lawn though I guess.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #91
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^ I'm doing something similar next year to our front yard. Kind of a 2 tier bush/rock garden thing.

As I said before, the backyard is larger and safer. Our front yard has such a steep decline, it's useless and serves no purpose.

Maintenance free front yards are the way to go. Undecided on full concrete, though.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:41 PM   #92
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep.. The bark chunk / mulch they used is absolute #### though and will pretty much all have to be replaced every year or two to maintain appearance. Still less work than conventional lawn though I guess.

We are in town tomorrow morning for a game.

Crackfalds is growing like crazy. I wonder how long before they get a high school.

Quote:
Old 10-24-2014, 12:44 PM   #93
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, my property taxes went from 2400 to 3600 in the 2.5 years I've been here to fund a new elementary that's been pushed back again .. So my 5 month old may not have to leave town for high school. Maybe.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #94
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Crackfalds is growing like crazy. I wonder how long before they get a high school.
Crackfalds? Is that Blackfalds lingo, I am unfamiliar.

It kinda looks like the Airdrie of Red Deer from google maps.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #95
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Very much the Airdrie of RD.

The REAL lingo though is Blackfalds (west of 2A) and Whitefalds (east of 2A).

People always ask me if I live in the "new part".. Considering there are around 8000 people living here, and I remember this place being like Rimbey (don't bother looking it up) when my uncle lived here as a kid, almost everywhere is the "new part". I live in a great new area right next to a kickass brand new sports multiplex, so living on the "black" side is fine by me.

Undercover, if you're from sylvan you should check out the Abbey Center. Just north of the middle school, you can see it from QE2. Awesome facility, lots of friends bring their families from SL to check it out.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #96
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Very much the Airdrie of RD.

The REAL lingo though is Blackfalds (west of 2A) and Whitefalds (east of 2A).

People always ask me if I live in the "new part".. Considering there are around 8000 people living here, and I remember this place being like Rimbey (don't bother looking it up) when my uncle lived here as a kid, almost everywhere is the "new part". I live in a great new area right next to a kickass brand new sports multiplex, so living on the "black" side is fine by me.

Undercover, if you're from sylvan you should check out the Abbey Center. Just north of the middle school, you can see it from QE2. Awesome facility, lots of friends bring their families from SL to check it out.

My wife took the kids to the Abbey Centre of the summer. In fact lots of people i know that live in Dead Rear go up there.

I havn't been there but according to my 8 yr son "it is pretty sweet dad".

I like the outdoor rink you have in town. Apparently, once the ice is 'set' the ice plant allows them to keep the ice hard up to 9 degrees.

Quote:
Old 10-24-2014, 10:19 PM   #97
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw a newer sub-division recently in Strathcona county where some of the homes had installed the artificial grass in their front yards. Anyone have experience with that?

Seems to be extremely expensive.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #98
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I saw a newer sub-division recently in Strathcona county where some of the homes had installed the artificial grass in their front yards. Anyone have experience with that?

It is pretty expensive. I am looking at doing a portion of my backyard in fake grass and it is between $4 and $8 per sqft not including installation costs (Labour and materials for the base.) At our previous place there was a home down the road that had it installed. It looked pretty nice but also somewhat odd in the winter because it was green compared to all the brown grass everywhere else.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #99
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Don't like it.
If you want to live somewhere where there is only concrete in front of your residence, move downtown.

Just imagine how crappy the street would look if everyone did this? And what are the resale consequences for their neighbors properties? Can't be good I think.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #100
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post

Saw this in Garden Heights in Red Deer too, looks alright but for the cost why not have a well manicured lawn and pay maintenance? I realize long term you're probably saving, but wanting the grass look but not feel doesn't make sense to me.