Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #221
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Shep Smith is awesome. Everytime I watch that guy I wonder how Fox news allows someone so opposed to their agenda, stay on the air.
Not to derail, but Shep Smith is definitely awesome (whether its intentional or not).

jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar_e For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #222
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

There is no way in hell he's not gay, same with Bachman's husband.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #223
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ebola outbreak: diagnosis delayed after Air Canada refuses to transport blood sample

Quote:
Air Canada refused to fly a blood specimen from a patient suspected of Ebola from Edmonton to Winnipeg last weekend, CBC News has learned.

Officials are blaming poor communication and unclear protocols for the delay of more than 24 hours between when the sample was collected in Edmonton and when it finally arrived in Winnipeg's National Microbiology Lab.
This seems like a non-story, but I would think if they made enough calls to get somebody higher up at AC, they'd be willing to waive their policy since lives are potentially at stake?
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:23 PM   #224
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Ebola outbreak: diagnosis delayed after Air Canada refuses to transport blood sample

This seems like a non-story, but I would think if they made enough calls to get somebody higher up at AC, they'd be willing to waive their policy since lives are potentially at stake?
Obligatory "have you seen how Air Canada deals with baggage?" joke.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #225
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There are strict controls on how you can ship biohazardous materials. We have to send ours in sealed container within a special biocontainment sealed container. Labels everywhere and shipment declarations. Maybe something wasn't filled out properly.

I didn't even know Air Canada could carry them. Ours always go FedEx. Granted we don't send Ebola. If anything is missing on our paperwork they won't even pick it up.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:19 AM   #226
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Yep. couldn't be more correct.

Last edited by photon; 10-23-2014 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Fixed embed, just use the video code not the whole URL
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #227
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

NYC doc who was treating Ebola patients in West Africa tests positive.

Quote:
A Doctors Without Borders physician who recently returned from West Africa is at a New York hospital for isolation and testing for the Ebola virus, authorities said.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/24/ny...ml?smid=tw-bna
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/23/health...ase/index.html
Old 10-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #228
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Paul Allen, the Microsoft co-founder, has increased his commitment in the fight against Ebola to $100 million on Thursday.

The billionaire and owner of the Seattle Seahawks and Portland Trailblazers has been donating money to the cause since August.

Since then he has donated or pledged $40 million, said Dune Ives, who runs Allen's philanthropic efforts.

The other $60 million in commitments is to be given away at a later date. His commitment was previously $26.5 million.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/paul-a...pU6A4AZgDQtDMD
Old 10-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #229
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nina Pham is going home....

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/dallas-...bola-1.2069366
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:06 PM   #230
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool graphic showing where Ebola (~5,000 deaths) ranks among major epidemics... obviously nowhere near the top. Click for the full graphic.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #231
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Cool graphic showing where Ebola (~5,000 deaths) ranks among major epidemics... obviously nowhere near the top. Click for the full graphic.

This outbreak isn't over yet.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:47 PM   #232
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
This outbreak isn't over yet.
It still won't get close to this list
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:00 AM   #233
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
It still won't get close to this list
Maybe so, but seeing that 100,000,000 figure up on the board does not give one comfort about the potential impact of ANY serious outbreak. Look at the way Canadian media reacted to SARS and it's impact barely registered on the chart. Are the Rolling Stones going to have a benefit concert in Toronto for Ebola? I don't know, it still sounds serious enough to engage global resources against containing it and treating those effected. Why be lazy about threats like this?
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #234
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
Maybe so, but seeing that 100,000,000 figure up on the board does not give one comfort about the potential impact of ANY serious outbreak. Look at the way Canadian media reacted to SARS and it's impact barely registered on the chart. Are the Rolling Stones going to have a benefit concert in Toronto for Ebola? I don't know, it still sounds serious enough to engage global resources against containing it and treating those effected. Why be lazy about threats like this?
Who's being lazy?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #235
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default 5-year-old boy tested for Ebola in NYC after return from Africa

http://nypost.com/2014/10/27/5-year-...new-york-city/

Quote:
A 5-year-old boy who just returned from West Africa was transported to Bellevue Hospital Sunday with possible Ebola symptoms, according to law-enforcement sources.
How are people still being allowed to travel?
(I know it would be pretty difficult to enforce)
Maybe they should be quarantined before travel, not after?
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #236
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

"Hi traveler/dirty toddler, you're leaving an infected area and flying to one of the most populated places in North American, sure, here's a comfy seat. Please be sure to spit/drool, pick your nose and run amok around the plane touching things."

Hope the kids okay - but this is getting silly. Sure, we'll let you here after a damn quarantine.

I'm not sure the departing city would have the quarantine capabilities nor the thoroughness, also if you're wanting to quarantine people coming from there you have to quarantine everyone on the plane (assuming they weren't from there originally), although they would have to be from there wouldn't they?

Easier to just ban travel, although that might not be reasonable either.

I dunno - not really sure I can think of any solution other than ban travel. But then you might get people travelling by vehicle to fly out of elsewhere. If you can drive somewhere in less than 21 days it's kind of moot.
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ranchlandsselling For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #237
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
The Canadian media wasn't even the worst during that whole situation. The foreign media, and especially the American media were making it sound like SARS was the dawn of the apocalypse. If anything, we were trying to downplay it to avoid the tourism hit.

The benefit concert was more to show people that Toronto was still a safe place to travel to.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:42 PM   #238
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
"Hi traveler/dirty toddler, you're leaving an infected area and flying to one of the most populated places in North American, sure, here's a comfy seat. Please be sure to spit/drool, pick your nose and run amok around the plane touching things."

Hope the kids okay - but this is getting silly. Sure, we'll let you here after a damn quarantine.

I'm not sure the departing city would have the quarantine capabilities nor the thoroughness, also if you're wanting to quarantine people coming from there you have to quarantine everyone on the plane (assuming they weren't from there originally), although they would have to be from there wouldn't they?

Easier to just ban travel, although that might not be reasonable either.

I dunno - not really sure I can think of any solution other than ban travel. But then you might get people travelling by vehicle to fly out of elsewhere. If you can drive somewhere in less than 21 days it's kind of moot.
If someone travels into the US via airplane instead of by ship/car--it is a whole lot easier to trace who they are and who they may have been around. If they enter the country in other ways, it's much harder to track them.

The last thing West Africa needs is for doctors and other healthcare professionals to refuse to go there because they might not be able to return easily, and those countries where they're coming from have much bigger issues than ensuring a proper isolation area for any and everyone flying out.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #239
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/29/health...html?hpt=hp_t2

A nurse who was quarantined against her will in New Jersey after treating Ebola patients in West Africa will not obey officials' instructions to seclude herself at home in Maine, she and her lawyers said on the "Today" show and to the Bangor Daily News on Wednesday.

"I don't plan on sticking to the guidelines," she said. "I remain appalled by these home quarantine policies that have been forced upon me."

"I want to be sure everyone understands what quarantine means in this case," Mayhew said. "Stating it plainly, what we are asking for is that individuals who had direct contact with Ebola patients stay in their home and avoid public contact until the 21 days for potential incubation has passed."

"The conditions that the state of Maine is now requiring Kaci to comply with are unconstitutional and illegal and there is no justification for the state of Maine to infringe on her liberty," Siegel told the Daily News.

The nurse said that she thinks it would be "reasonable," in circumstances like hers, to self-monitor for symptoms but not be quarantined.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #240
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I hope she gets Ebola.

Selfish think-for-her-self-er. She could put countless people in harms way. How can a person think like that. What if she gets a child sick? How is she going to live with herself....
polak is offline   Reply With Quote