Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #141
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Some still wanted Jokinen back for a 4th go around.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #142
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Sorry why is it owed to him?
Let's remember that this is a guy that told the team that he would accept a trade to Boston, then pulled that team off the table, only to sign there in the off-season.

Iggy primarily looked out for Iggy. Which is fine - I don't fault him for that. But the team owes him nothing.
Is that exactly right? I had thought he (a) had a NMC, (b) submitted a list of teams who he would be willing to go to hypothetically, then (c) when given a choice between two of those teams who had actually made offers, chose the one he preferred.

I actually think the Flames handled that wrong at step (c) by actually giving Iginla that choice once he had submitted a list.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #143
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Yeah I don't care about the return. I don't think it matters because I don't really think any of the players involved will have much of an impact. The key thing was the pick - and we will see how Klimchuk turns out.
It is about how it was handled. Management would have been roasted by fans if they had forced Iginla to sign a formal agreement on teams he would waive for. They asked him - and he provided a list - a list that he then changed.
He really put the Flames in a spot because if Pitt had learned his "list" was a "list" of one team - they could have taken their 1st off the table. I'm convinced that's why they pulled the trigger to get what they could that night.

Dick move by him. Within his rights. But dick move none the less.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2015, 10:09 AM   #144
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Is that exactly right? I had thought he (a) had a NMC, (b) submitted a list of teams who he would be willing to go to hypothetically, then (c) when given a choice between two of those teams who had actually made offers, chose the one he preferred.

I actually think the Flames handled that wrong at step (c) by actually giving Iginla that choice once he had submitted a list.
He never submitted a contractually binding list. They trusted what he told them was the list WAS the list. Turns out - it wasn't.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:25 AM   #145
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
He never submitted a contractually binding list. They trusted what he told them was the list WAS the list. Turns out - it wasn't.
Can you provide proof this is what happened? I honestly don't recall hearing anything about this. If this is in fact the case, I can begin to see why you feel the way you do.

My understanding is the same as what GioForPM posted.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:55 AM   #146
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feaster discussed what happened numerous times:
  • After the LA road trip, he asked Iginla for a list of teams.
  • Iginla's agent provided a list of 5 teams (IIRC -- may have been as few as 4 or as many as 6).
  • Feaster negotiated with the GMs of those teams.
  • The deal he liked the best was the one with the Bruins.
  • Feaster called Iginla's agent and said that they had a deal for Iginla to go to Boston. Iginla's agent responded that "you might have a deal, but we don't have a deal".
  • The agent then asked Feaster if Pittsburgh had made a competitive offer, and Feaster said that they had. Iginla's agent told Feaster that Iginla's preference was to go to Pittsburgh if they were interested.
  • The agent said that if Feaster wasn't able to make a deal with Pittsburgh, Iginla was willing to play out the rest of the season in Calgary and move on in the summer.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #147
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The past is the past. Loved Iginla when he was here but he is not and I and I hope the Flames organization has moved on.

With the way the game is played now I see less and less room for an aged vet to play spot minutes like Rechi and Roberts did years ago in their cup runs. Youth and speed are king now and your 3rd/4th line has to be able to do a lot more than score a goal every few games. I see no fit for him in 2 years time. There's no disrespect just the truth, the game will pass him by.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #148
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
  • Iginla's agent provided a list of 5 teams (IIRC -- may have been as few as 4 or as many as 6).
  • Feaster called Iginla's agent and said that they had a deal for Iginla to go to Boston. Iginla's agent responded that "you might have a deal, but we don't have a deal".
  • The agent then asked Feaster if Pittsburgh had made a competitive offer, and Feaster said that they had. Iginla's agent told Feaster that Iginla's preference was to go to Pittsburgh if they were interested.
  • The agent said that if Feaster wasn't able to make a deal with Pittsburgh, Iginla was willing to play out the rest of the season in Calgary and move on in the summer.
Wow, if that's 100% true then Jiri is right, that's a dick move. I thought a lot of that was rumor and I wanted to give Iggy the benefit of the doubt as he was easily my favorite player on the team since his rookie year, but that does paint him in an unfavorable light. Too bad, it kind of taints my memory of him
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #149
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I don't care about the return. I don't think it matters because I don't really think any of the players involved will have much of an impact. The key thing was the pick - and we will see how Klimchuk turns out.
It is about how it was handled. Management would have been roasted by fans if they had forced Iginla to sign a formal agreement on teams he would waive for. They asked him - and he provided a list - a list that he then changed.
He really put the Flames in a spot because if Pitt had learned his "list" was a "list" of one team - they could have taken their 1st off the table. I'm convinced that's why they pulled the trigger to get what they could that night.

Dick move by him. Within his rights. But dick move none the less.
And if Pittsburgh did that, Calgary rejects the trade and Iginla would have gone to Boston without question. I get that some people are bitter that we didn't get Bartkowski, but FFS man, it was pretty clear in the end that while Pittsburgh was clearly Iginla's first choice, he would have accepted a trade to the other teams on his list if the Flames and Pens couldn't work out a deal.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #150
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Wow, if that's 100% true then Jiri is right, that's a dick move. I thought a lot of that was rumor and I wanted to give Iggy the benefit of the doubt as he was easily my favorite player on the team since his rookie year, but that does paint him in an unfavorable light. Too bad, it kind of taints my memory of him
It doesn't mean he's a bad guy and shouldn't diminish his accomplishments as a Flame. It's just business and at the end of the day Jarome Iginla was always looking out for Jarome Iginla. Unfortunately I believe this spilled into his play in his last years with the Flames and was the reason that both parties decided at the end it was best to go separate ways.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2015, 11:11 AM   #151
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Citation?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:12 AM   #152
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

In the fall out of the Iginla trade I got the very strong sense that Iginla never had much attachment to the city or team. At least not in the same way we had an attachment to Iggy.

Not slighting anything he did in his tenure here but just the way he sold his house seemingly the day of and then all the rumors about how Iginla treated the team in the trade ordeal... I dunno. Just how it came off to me.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #153
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Citation?
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=4652627
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #154
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
And if Pittsburgh did that, Calgary rejects the trade and Iginla would have gone to Boston without question. I get that some people are bitter that we didn't get Bartkowski, but FFS man, it was pretty clear in the end that while Pittsburgh was clearly Iginla's first choice, he would have accepted a trade to the other teams on his list if the Flames and Pens couldn't work out a deal.
Was it "clearly" that way? How so?
I mean maybe he would have - maybe not. Maybe Feaster should have called his bluff. But that carried risk.
As I stated already, the return doesn't matter to me much because for the most part I view it as six of one, half dozen of the other. So I think Feaster did the right thing to make sure he got the 1st, instead of risking getting nothing, or far less.
It is about how Iggy handled it. And I think he handled it like a bit of a dink.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #155
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Iggy who?

After the charge I got from our little playoff run I can't wait for next season. I hope Colorado fails again next year as that improves our chances for making the playoffs again. It is my feeling that Iggy chose the money (as opposed to Stanley cup aspirations which are looking slim) with his Colorado deal as he always has.

I have thought "what if he had stayed and was on our little 2015 run" but then the whole attitude of the room might have been different.

Again good luck to him padding his goal/ assist stats in the regular season but as long as he is with Colorado I hope he never makes the playoffs again(plus I have and always will hate Patty Roy).
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azhouse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #156
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It doesn't mean he's a bad guy and shouldn't diminish his accomplishments as a Flame. It's just business and at the end of the day Jarome Iginla was always looking out for Jarome Iginla. Unfortunately I believe this spilled into his play in his last years with the Flames and was the reason that both parties decided at the end it was best to go separate ways.
And so he should. Loyalty is pretty much a myth in pro sports, both ways.
Iginla held out once and was prepared to a second time over his contract. And I also do not have any problem with getting everything you are entitled to. I have great respect for the individual and the player.
I do have a problem with those pining away to see his return. I don't care for the way the trade went down, and some is on his shoulders. I lost interest in the Calgary Flames the last few years he was here - everything good about the Calgary Flames under Mark Giordano as captain is because it is the polar opposite of everything the Flames were with Iginla as captain, the last several years.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2015, 11:58 AM   #157
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yup... So far the Giordano Years > The Iginla Years.

There was one good Iginla year. I'd say this season beat every other season outside of '04 under Iggy's captaincy.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #158
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post

There was one good Iginla year
. I'd say this season beat every other season outside of '04 under Iggy's captaincy.
I'm sorry, what?

All of Iginla's years with the Flames were great, we just unfortunately had no one around him that were nearly as good as him.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #159
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I'm sorry, what?

All of Iginla's years with the Flames were great, we just unfortunately had no one around him that were nearly as good as him.
Iginla was great, but the team was not.

That's what I meant. The team under his tenure.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:09 PM   #160
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post

There was one good Iginla year. I'd say this season beat every other season outside of '04 under Iggy's captaincy.
Lets not get carried away here. This year was special because of low expectations. Lets wait on putting Gio's years above Iggy's for now.

How soon we forget, that during Iggy's prime years the Flames were picked to do much more at the beginning of the year. Iggy was a beast and many considered him to be one of the best Captains in the league.

If we're going to blame anyone, I would blame the run of coaches after Sutter.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post: