Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2015, 09:09 AM   #121
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also would like to see Iginla come back if the pieces fall into place.

- Iggy still without a cup at 40
- Flames legit contenders without any positional holes
- Iggy will sign a reasonable 1 year contract
- Iggy can still contribute in a 3rd-4th line role

If this is something that Iggy want's, then the organization owes it to him. Even if he doesn't produce much, just think of the boost it would give the dressing room.

I recall Gaudreau saying he idolized Iginla growing up and was looking forward to playing with him prior to his trade. I'm sure Poirier and Ferland would have similar things to say.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #122
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
If this is something that Iggy want's, then the organization owes it to him. .
Sorry why is it owed to him?
Let's remember that this is a guy that told the team that he would accept a trade to Boston, then pulled that team off the table, only to sign there in the off-season.

Iggy primarily looked out for Iggy. Which is fine - I don't fault him for that. But the team owes him nothing.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:12 AM   #123
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are some perfectly non-nonstalgic reasons to bring Iginla back, but several things would have to happen simultaneously for such a move to make sense to the Flames in two years. But it's still possible.

1.) Iginla's Production

As Iggy grows older, his production will start falling off. For the time being however, he's proven himself to be a reliable top-line winger who can put up 60 pts. He led the Avs in scoring this season and was 3rd on the Bruins the year before. So if he can still put up the numbers, there's no denying that he can still fit nicely into a top 6 scoring role.

Jagr is a great example of what I think Jarome could be like. Older, aging winger but can still produce 50-60 pts reliably even at a creaky golden age of 43. Iggy is already deep into the age bracket where you will fall behind if you don't work hard to keep up. Will Iginla age quite as well as Jagr? Probably not, but if he can still score 60 pts right now, it's not that much of a reach to predict a 50ish pt season for Iggy two years from now. Especially if he continues to train like an animal in the offseason.

2.) Calgary's lack of RW Depth

Not exactly news that we're pretty dry of natural RWs. So two years from now I doubt that we'll have our prospects on RW able to outperform Iginla's offense. A 50pt season makes him a better option than practically everyone but Hudler, as Jones will be gone by then and our RW prospects won't be ready for a top 6 role. And I doubt that someone like Shore or Colborne will be able to match those numbers in 2 years.

So if we don't have prospects magically becoming NHL scorers instantly or land a big fish in free agency, Iginla's still the better option.

If Hudler is able to have another season like 2014-15 then he will want dollars and term that the Flames aren't willing to give him. So I imagine he'd walk instead of being traded, because I don't think we'll be out of the hunt by the deadline and want to keep him for a run.

If he does leave then that's a massive gaping chasm in RW depth. Jones already gone, RW prospects not ready, huge chunk of scoring gone.

3.) Term and Salary

Treliving has said repeatedly that he thinks long term and will not carelessly hand out term and salary, because it will throw you into cap hell. That in conjunction with Hudler's next contract demands will probably mean he's gone.

Treliving will want to replace Hudler's production as best as he can but he isn't willing to commit term. That leaves Iginla's contract as one that could work well for the Flames. 5.3m AAV is reasonable dollars for a top 6 forward and only for a season, as he will have just 1 year left on his contract when Hudler's is up.

So if things don't work out and Iggy doesn't make a triumphant return to the Dome, they can still cut him loose after the year is done. Low risk high reward move.

4.) We can land him

This part is easier said than done, and is probably the biggest obstacle.

If we trade for him, we'd have to outbid the other teams. If we do it at the deadline, there's little chance our package would be better than those from other teams. So I'd have to hope Sakic shats himself in a trade, or does it on purpose to send an old friend home.

It's not out of the question that he just stays in COL for the duration of the contract. 2017-18 the Flames will shed some dead weight salary, probably still in need of RW depth, and looking to bring a cup home. Iggy wouldn't be looking for term - just for reasonable dollars - and that's something Treliving can easily give for that year, even after Sam Bennett gets a massive raise.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:14 AM   #124
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am all for it if he comes back in a bottom 6 role and the Flames are legit contenders.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #125
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Sorry why is it owed to him?
Let's remember that this is a guy that told the team that he would accept a trade to Boston, then pulled that team off the table, only to sign there in the off-season.

Iggy primarily looked out for Iggy. Which is fine - I don't fault him for that. But the team owes him nothing.

Wow is this really why you have an issue with Iginla?

Ya he totally should of assessed the trade and figured out which one was best for the Flames.

He was given a choice and management respected his decision. They respected his decision because the guy is a class act and he deserved as much.

If you're unhappy with the return we got, blame management not the player.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2015, 09:15 AM   #126
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way I see him coming back is as a deadline deal in 2017 if the Avs are out of the race and the Flames are loading up for a playoff run and think he can contribute.

He'll retire after this contract ends.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:19 AM   #127
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:

Ya he totally should of assessed the trade and figured out which one was best for the Flames.

He was given a choice and management respected his decision. They respected his decision because the guy is a class act and he deserved as much.

He didn't say a word about the return for Iggy in his post.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2015, 09:19 AM   #128
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I hope Bob Cole isn't still calling games in 17-18.
I hope he is. As a matter of fact, I hope he is calling big games forever. Just turn the man into a zombie after he passes and give him the mic. I can endure a few odd "Brains!" comments to hear Cole call games forever.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:22 AM   #129
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
He didn't say a word about the return for Iggy in his post.
Well he obviously wouldn't be sour by the decision if we had Bartkowski in our system right now instead of Hanowski..
Old 06-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #130
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand why people want him to come back but play a bottom 6 role, because the bottom 6 guys get less minutes and can do less damage if they play badly.

Which is exactly what would happen. Iginla isnt fast enough or defensive enough to play on our bottom 6 right now. Top 6? Sure. But he isnt a grinder. Bottom 6 minutes are not his game.

And I personally wouldnt want to see the guy trotted out like a sad has-been playing sheltered minutes just 'because hes Iggy.'

He deserves more respect than that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:24 AM   #131
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Well he obviously wouldn't be sour by the decision if we had Bartkowski in our system right now instead of Hanowski..

Iginla had his own interests at heart. The organization respected that. Now the organization owes him nothing and should look out for itself. That's all.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:25 AM   #132
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

wow. He didn't say anything about the return, he said something about the fact that Iggy accepted a trade and then canceled it. That would be like the Flames signing him to a contract and at the last minute deciding not to. No, it would be a lot worse than that. Iggy kind of screwed over the Flames by doing that but they still did whatever they could to help the guy out and get him where he wanted to go. I don't think they owe him anything else. I mean you're starting to sound like an oiler here wanting to bring back the good ol boys.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:27 AM   #133
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He gave a list of teams to management, management starting making deals in good faith based on that list, and then he took out management at the knees at the last minute by changing it.

It was a bush league move.

The Iginla era is over. Move on.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2015, 09:28 AM   #134
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Iginla had his own interests at heart. The organization respected that. Now the organization owes him nothing and should look out for itself. That's all.
Like it or not, Iginla was the identity of the Flames for a decade. He didn't need to spend the majority of his career with the Flames, but he did. He did amazing things around the community and is one of the most recognizable names and faces in hockey. I've traveled internationally and somehow people who knew little about the NHL would ask me if Iginla was still playing for Calgary.

That says something right there.

I find it disgusting how many of you have turned on him for this decision. So many star players have had much uglier departures then that. I thought this fanbase was above these kinds of petty grudges.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #135
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Like it or not, Iginla was the identity of the Flames for a decade. He didn't need to spend the majority of his career with the Flames, but he did. He did amazing things around the community and is one of the most recognizable names and faces in hockey. I've traveled internationally and somehow people who knew little about the NHL would ask me if Iginla was still playing for Calgary.

That says something right there.

I find it disgusting how many of you have turned on him for this decision. So many star players have had much uglier departures then that. I thought this fanbase was above these kinds of petty grudges.
Preach it brother!

Chill out. I loved Iggy and appreciate everything he did, all we are saying is that the organization doesn't "owe" him a single thing.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #136
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Iginla was paid market value by the flames during his entire tenure here. If anything he owed the flames.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2015, 09:38 AM   #137
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Will this ever end?
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #138
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningSteel View Post
Will this ever end?
Until he retires, of course not. There will always be talk of him coming back to the Flames until he decides to hang them up. Then there will be talk of him coming out of retirement Fleury style until he's approaching 50.

I mean, it's Iggy.

But now that we're low on RW's and looking to be a playoff contender within a few years, nobody can fault the fans for thinking of him as an acquisition possibility - especially within the context that he just led his entire team in scoring. Including younger names like ROR, Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon. So I think the whole "this ship has sailed" or "let it go" angle in light of this fact is purely an emotional one, rather than one seeking to improve the team and looking at the raw numbers. Until his scoring drops off a cliff, why undersell his achievements?
Old 06-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #139
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Well, it's easier to call Tinordi out because he is a hit and run troll who virtually never engages in topics or debates. All he ever does on this forum is walk in to a thread, take a dump, and leave. Doesn't mean his sentiment is wrong in this case, but at least Jiri and others are adding to the discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Iginla was paid market value by the flames during his entire tenure here. If anything he owed the flames.
Yup.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #140
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So is Jiri or any poster that still doesn't worship the ground he stands on a "hater"? The only tired act IMO is the fans that cling to him like the Flames organization or fans still owe him something. He left the Flames and the city and it's time to realize he's not a Flame or a Calgarian anymore. Great Flame but the team has moved on to the next generation of players.
Yeah, exactly like Regehr before he retired. The old guard is just that, old and done.

Some still wanted Jokinen back for a 4th go around.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote