Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #741
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could just walk around naked until they plant trees on their side.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 05:43 PM   #742
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I am needing to plant some columnar trees for shade along my fence, and could use some input. Where is my best bet to buy these things? I looked at Green Gate, and the smallest ones were $89; is it worth buying the taller ones at $149? They had 5 year warranties; I didn't know trees could have warranties...
costco. $50 for decent sized aspens. The will be 12 ft tall by next year.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 06:13 PM   #743
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You could just walk around naked until they plant trees on their side.
That works. My neighbours all chipped in and bought me curtains.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #744
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Blueberries are a lie in Calgary. A dirty nasty lie.
Used to think the same as I failed the first 3 times I grew them in 3 different locations in Okotoks and Calgary.

The trick to getting them to grow and be healthy is adding fresh blue spruce bows to the hole you are planting them in then adding aluminum sulfate to peat moss and black earth mix and top dressing each year to help acidify the soil. I have 4 different varieties that are growing and fruiting now. (Polaris, Brunswick, Low Bush, and NorthBlue) Just added 3 more varieties that were already flowering and hoping they come back as successful as the others next year,
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robbie111 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #745
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie111 View Post
Used to think the same as I failed the first 3 times I grew them in 3 different locations in Okotoks and Calgary.

The trick to getting them to grow and be healthy is adding fresh blue spruce bows to the hole you are planting them in then adding aluminum sulfate to peat moss and black earth mix and top dressing each year to help acidify the soil. I have 4 different varieties that are growing and fruiting now. (Polaris, Brunswick, Low Bush, and NorthBlue) Just added 3 more varieties that were already flowering and hoping they come back as successful as the others next year,
We tried that, so I dunno.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #746
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I am needing to plant some columnar trees for shade along my fence, and could use some input. Where is my best bet to buy these things? I looked at Green Gate, and the smallest ones were $89; is it worth buying the taller ones at $149? They had 5 year warranties; I didn't know trees could have warranties...
Save your money and get the smaller ones. They grow so fast that in a year or two they will have surpassed the height of the taller one anyways. I'm on year 5 and they have gone from 6 feet tall to 20 feet.

I bought mine at a nursery, but pretty much all the pail trees are grown somewhere else and brought in. Even home depot trees would suffice.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #747
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure where to ask this question. Our neighbour hasn't mowed their front lawn yet this year. The husband is usually pretty regular with lawn maintenance, but I haven't seen him for maybe 2 months now. I've seen the wife, but only very rarely. I think the last time I saw her was two weeks ago. The lawn has always been the husband's job.

We are on good terms, and I have shoveled their walk several times in the past, and even their driveway a couple times. I'm now thinking about mowing their front lawn (it's not very large). I've gone up and rung their doorbell, but haven't received an answer as of yet.

What's the etiquette here? Should I just mow it, or should I wait until I can actually talk to one of them about it. The lawn is the last one on our street to be mowed, and it's getting pretty tall.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #748
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did they do something like put down some soil and seed?

If not and it’s just neglect I would say go nuts. I probably wouldn’t cut it as short as mine, but I would mow it.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:25 AM   #749
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The rain held off yesterday, and we got done 90% of the finish work on our front yard. Put down the sod, planted a tree and a bunch of plants. And now it's really raining out there. And the forecast is for quite a bit of rain this week. The timing really couldn't have been better.

https://imgur.com/a/9el7uUT
Old 06-12-2018, 10:34 AM   #750
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone have good ways to deal with powdery mildew on Cucumbers/Zucchinis?

I planted from seeds and went away for a week and now I see powdery mildew all over my plants. They're pretty small but starting to fruit and there's only about 3 leaves on them so I don't think cutting them off would be an option.

I read about 50/50 milk to water ratio or baking soda/water mixture. Any success with this?
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #751
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that Sunnyside's closed, is there any good garden centre in the NW?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:02 AM   #752
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Golden Acres. OK not technically NW, but as close as you will get. There is a little one on 4th st and 23ish ave as well.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #753
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that's a ways. At least still north of the river but still 20 minutes. I guess Sunnyside has just owned the NW market for long enough that there aren't any other options. :/
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #754
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

I like Anything Grows, which is in Cochrane - it's sort of a mini version of Sunnyside and seems to have decent stuff there.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #755
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Not sure where to ask this question. Our neighbour hasn't mowed their front lawn yet this year. The husband is usually pretty regular with lawn maintenance, but I haven't seen him for maybe 2 months now. I've seen the wife, but only very rarely. I think the last time I saw her was two weeks ago. The lawn has always been the husband's job.

We are on good terms, and I have shoveled their walk several times in the past, and even their driveway a couple times. I'm now thinking about mowing their front lawn (it's not very large). I've gone up and rung their doorbell, but haven't received an answer as of yet.

What's the etiquette here? Should I just mow it, or should I wait until I can actually talk to one of them about it. The lawn is the last one on our street to be mowed, and it's getting pretty tall.
I'd mow it.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #756
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks, I wish I did just mow it now.

One of my unfortunate talents is finding myself in socially awkward situations, usually of my own doing.

So I trotted up to my neighbour's house a few days ago, rang the doorbell, and the wife answered. Her english is not very good, but I tried to say that I know her husband normally mows the lawn, but I haven't seen him for a while, and would it be ok if I mowed her lawn? She said no, that she would do it. I told her I didn't mind, but she insisted she would do it herself. I could feel her eyes watching me as I walked back to my house.

Lo and behold, two days later, her husband appears and mows the lawn. Now I don't know if maybe he just happened to have come back from a trip, or if there's maybe another another reason for his absence. Ugh.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #757
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Thanks, I wish I did just mow it now.

One of my unfortunate talents is finding myself in socially awkward situations, usually of my own doing.

So I trotted up to my neighbour's house a few days ago, rang the doorbell, and the wife answered. Her english is not very good, but I tried to say that I know her husband normally mows the lawn, but I haven't seen him for a while, and would it be ok if I mowed her lawn? She said no, that she would do it. I told her I didn't mind, but she insisted she would do it herself. I could feel her eyes watching me as I walked back to my house.

Lo and behold, two days later, her husband appears and mows the lawn. Now I don't know if maybe he just happened to have come back from a trip, or if there's maybe another another reason for his absence. Ugh.
She for sure thinks you were offering Gigolo services.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2018, 11:41 PM   #758
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

In sure it's been beat to death in this thread but I couldn't find much in my quick looking. Any decent weed sprays that work for what we get in Calgary?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:38 AM   #759
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
In sure it's been beat to death in this thread but I couldn't find much in my quick looking. Any decent weed sprays that work for what we get in Calgary?
Killex has always worked for me for run of the mill yard control
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #760
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
Anyone have good ways to deal with powdery mildew on Cucumbers/Zucchinis?

I planted from seeds and went away for a week and now I see powdery mildew all over my plants. They're pretty small but starting to fruit and there's only about 3 leaves on them so I don't think cutting them off would be an option.

I read about 50/50 milk to water ratio or baking soda/water mixture. Any success with this?
I was told that it was from watering above the ground (pouring water on leaves). Ive tried watering as close to the base as i can and it seems to have cured the white powdery coating that we get sometimes. Not sure if the same as yours, but could be worth trying.

And I think I figured out our beets. Never been able to grow them well, but apparently I was overwatering. The leaves look the same as when they get dried out (blistered and discoloured). But the difference is when you touch the leaves. If they're dry, water...if they're squishy/soggy then they're being overwatered. Already look 100x better than usual.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies