Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2024, 11:06 AM   #121
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
It's a little odd, if Bourque is the prospect that is expendable, then why is Stankoven the one being showcased?

He’s not being showcased. He got called up because he’s good and can help them win games with Seguin injured
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:17 AM   #122
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I dream Jason Robertson and a First lol but that's not happing
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:27 AM   #123
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Considering we've heard that Stankoven and Wyatt Johnston are likely completely off limits from Dallas, Bourque seems like a reasonable ask no? You have to give to get.

This is their cup window and Bourque is playing in the AHL currently. Even if guys went down with injury, is anyone expecting Bourque to make a bigger impact this year in the playoffs than Tanev would? Isn't that what it comes down to for a contending team?

Also Dallas has all their picks for the next few years. Give us your prospect, and then they can just replenish their cupboard at the draft anyway. Seems like a win-win.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 11:36 AM   #124
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
Considering we've heard that Stankoven and Wyatt Johnston are likely completely off limits from Dallas, Bourque seems like a reasonable ask no? You have to give to get.

This is their cup window and Bourque is playing in the AHL currently. Even if guys went down with injury, is anyone expecting Bourque to make a bigger impact this year in the playoffs than Tanev would? Isn't that what it comes down to for a contending team?

Also Dallas has all their picks for the next few years. Give us your prospect, and then they can just replenish their cupboard at the draft anyway. Seems like a win-win.

Bourque is one of their top prospects, arguably #2, in a team with a really strong prospect pool.

Teams typically dont trade these types of guys especially for for UFAs at the deadline. It would of been like us giving up coronato or Wolf in the Toffoli deal. Same reason we didn't get Lekkerimaki or Wallander from the canucks.

Someone like Lundkvist, Dellandrea, Grushnikov, Kyrou or if we're lucky Bischel is probably what we see coming back (+ a pick to balance accordingly).
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:37 AM   #125
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also wonder if it would be selling high on Bourque a bit...

I like Bourque, but also feel like Stankoven was potentially the one driving the bus on their play and production this year.

But still feels like it wouldn't be for Tanev...if they had interest in Hanifin then that would be a different story.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-28-2024 at 11:40 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 11:46 AM   #126
aaronkarlpatton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
if we're lucky Bischel is probably what we see coming back (+ a pick to balance accordingly).
I would be happy with that return

Sent from my SM-G990W2 using Tapatalk
aaronkarlpatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:54 AM   #127
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes View Post

Giving to get in the context of Tanev would probably involve someone like Bichsel, Grushnikov, Kyrou or Bertucci, all great prospects in their own right. Bourque is a top prospect that would probably be in play only if a good young player with term is available.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:10 PM   #128
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seguin is hurt, and may go on LTIR (with a timely recovery on day 1 of the playoffs). This could open a lot of cap space for the Stars. Rumors they want a D-pairing, not just a righty.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 12:12 PM   #129
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
Bourque is one of their top prospects, arguably #2, in a team with a really strong prospect pool.

Teams typically dont trade these types of guys especially for for UFAs at the deadline. It would of been like us giving up coronato or Wolf in the Toffoli deal. Same reason we didn't get Lekkerimaki or Wallander from the canucks.

Someone like Lundkvist, Dellandrea, Grushnikov, Kyrou or if we're lucky Bischel is probably what we see coming back (+ a pick to balance accordingly).
Yeah I understand all that about not wanting to part with top prospects, but that's what cup teams tend to do to push them over the top sometimes. I mean it's not like they're lacking at Center without him:

Seguin
Hintz
Faksa
Duchene
Wyatt Johnston
Stankoven
Steel

IMO parting with Bourque who's also a Center isn't that unrealistic. Especially in a bidding war with 12 teams and Tanev is the best shutdown D available. Tanev supposedly could be paired with Heiskenen on the top pair as well, there's a ton of value there for Dallas in a cup run.

I'm gonna stay optimistic on this one, but I'm ready to be hurt again.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:14 PM   #130
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Seguin is hurt, and may go on LTIR (with a timely recovery on day 1 of the playoffs). This could open a lot of cap space for the Stars. Rumors they want a D-pairing, not just a righty.
Tanev/Hanifin for a first, second, Bourque and Bichsel. Suter as a cap dump if need be.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:14 PM   #131
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always find it interesting that the posters that are the most vocal about wanting a rebuild (and a full teardown), are also the same people that usually expect the least return in trades.

But thinking about it, it is likely because those people value picks and prospects much higher, so they want a rebuild, but at the same time, when we trade our players, they don't think other teams will give up their picks and prospects (because these posters think these prospects are so valuable).

So I guess it makes sense.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 12:18 PM   #132
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Tanev/Hanifin for a first, second, Bourque and Bichsel. Suter as a cap dump if need be.
That’s not enough with the cap dump coming back.

I’m assuming retention on our part.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:24 PM   #133
Yoda
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Is this real? I have not heard this rumor. I can't think of any other team that could provide a better pairing than Hanifin/Tanev. Dallas has the pieces to run at this without mortgaging their future. It seems too good to be true for both teams, so likely won't happen, but certainly intriguing to say the least.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:27 PM   #134
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Is this real? I have not heard this rumor. I can't think of any other team that could provide a better pairing than Hanifin/Tanev. Dallas has the pieces to run at this without mortgaging their future. It seems too good to be true for both teams, so likely won't happen, but certainly intriguing to say the least.
Seeler and Walker are the other D-pair rumoured to be available. Pagnotta mentioned these two as drawing interest by the Stars, but Tanefin was obviously implied as well

Last edited by Canada 02; 02-28-2024 at 12:29 PM.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 12:40 PM   #135
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
That’s not enough with the cap dump coming back.

I’m assuming retention on our part.
I was assuming retention. That's why I said "if necessary" - it probably isn't. I'm not mathing today. Plus, I don't think the cap dump is worth much - just a factor in doing the deal. My breakdown was the 1st and Bourque for Hanifin and the 2nd and Bichsel for Tanev. Suter or, say, Lindell is not only a cap dump, they are a warm body defenceman (and only an expense for a season). But sure, add something for that if you want.

Last edited by GioforPM; 02-28-2024 at 12:43 PM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 12:44 PM   #136
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Conroy is waiting for a team to offer up a first for Tanev, not sure why Dallas would feel the need to offer up Bourque, who has had great chemistry with Stankoven.

Bourque was a late first who has done exceptionally well since being drafted. His value is higher than a first.

If Dallas wants Tanev, offer up your first. Or go home.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:45 PM   #137
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I always find it interesting that the posters that are the most vocal about wanting a rebuild (and a full teardown), are also the same people that usually expect the least return in trades.

But thinking about it, it is likely because those people value picks and prospects much higher, so they want a rebuild, but at the same time, when we trade our players, they don't think other teams will give up their picks and prospects (because these posters think these prospects are so valuable).

So I guess it makes sense.
It's impatience. They just want things burnt to the ground as quickly as possible.

There are going to be some very disappointed posters when they realize the plan was never to have a scorched earth rebuild.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 12:49 PM   #138
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really interested in this idea of sending Dallas our second pair with retention because they have all the stuff we want; deep prospect pool and picks.

Seems like a good time for Dallas to put all its chips in.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:50 PM   #139
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

2nd tounder and Seminoff is my guess
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 01:05 PM   #140
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
2nd tounder and Seminoff is my guess
Really hoping you’re wrong! That would be quite underwhelming.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote