Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #21
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Edit: I guess another way to look at it is, if you've got Iginla and Conroy on a 2 on 1, what do you do? You cover Iginla, take away the pass and force Conroy to shoot. What about when it's Sakic and Hejduk? One's a 50 goal scorer, and the other is Joe Sakic. What are you going to do with that?
You cover Joe Sakic. If I'm a goalie I want to be facing a Hejduk shot over a Sakic shot.

Joe Sakic was an assist machine, but his wrist shot was one of the deadliest in the league, better than Hejduk's.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #22
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sakic, easily.
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #23
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Even though he played on wayyyy better teams, I'd say Sakic was a better player than Iggy.

No shame in that though - he was a better player than almost everybody.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #24
1Nite
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think a better comparison would have been Sakic - Yzerman.
1Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1Nite For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #25
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just don't think their styles of play and the roles they were expected to fill are similar enough to do this kind of comparison. As an all-round points producer, it's Sakic. But, as pointed out in an earlier post, I don't think Sakic in his prime could have equaled Iginla's ability to lead a team like the 2004 Flames to a game 7 near-miss in the Stanley Cup final.
For the same reason, I don't think the comparison of Iginla with Alfredsson is legit. Alfredsson plays the same kind of game and role as Sakic, and while Alfredsson is great, Sakic is better.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Bozek For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #26
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know people may think I'm some sort of Iginla hater but that's far from the truth. He's one of my favourite NHL players of all time. My issue with Iginla is more tied to the last 1/3 of his career and how Flames fans massively overrate him. There really is no comparison between Joe Sakic and Jarome Iginla on a lot of levels. Sakic really was one of the all time great NHL players and Iginla was one of the all time great Flames players.

I also still see things like "Iginla willing the Flames to the finals in 2004" which is so untrue. Kipper had a season for the ages in net and Darryl Sutter did what he does which is make a group of individuals buy into a team concept that in turn makes the sum more than the parts. People really have forgotten the contributions of Gelinas, Conroy, Regehr, Simon, Donovan, Yelle, Ference, heck even Ville Nieminen. That wasn't even remotely close to the most talented roster in Flames history but it was by far the best team which is why they are so beloved. Iginla was a big part of that but without those other players and the team concept that team would have ended up no different than the 2007+ teams that failed miserably in the first round. The following four first round eliminations simply highlight how it was never about Iginla and all about the team as the team was never the same after 2004.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #27
minnow
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gee, we're all happy Iggy's one of your favorites! Oiy, Oiy, Oiy!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #28
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

As others have mentioned, I am a fan of Iginla and he is easily a hall of fame player, but this is Joe Sakic! Sakic easily and it's not that close.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #29
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sakic. Not much else to be said. Have great respect for Iginla but at the end of the day, it's Sakic.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #30
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Put Joe Sakic on the Flames instead of Iginla from 1996 to 2013 and I'm not convinced the overall team accomplishments look very different. At the end of the day, the overall strength of the team is such a factor.

Also, as much as there could be a homer factor with people praising Iggy I think there could be a lot of people that simply cant believe Calgary could have such a great player and want to downplay what Iggy has accomplished in his career. I think what he's done without having hall of fame teammates and in the dead puck era is remarkable.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #31
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
I like Iginla but Sakic is in that level right below the Gretzky/Mario/Orr type guys

I think Iggy is another level or two below that
Not two
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:04 AM   #32
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Opposing coaches had to worry about Sakic and Forsberg in the day. Coaches facing Calgary knew that if you neutralized Iggy, a good portion of your work was done. Don't underestimate the impact of having another equivalent threat, and Iggy shouldered a lot here.

A lot of plays died on teammates' sticks here after he won board battles and his playmaking skills are under valued.

Somebody should look at how much of their team's offense they generated. 84 GWG to Sakic's 86 in 3 more seasons helps to reinforce the context within which they played.

And again, different players. Can't picture Sakic dropping them with LeCavalier.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #33
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Swap Sakic and Iginla's teams around. Iggy would of had two cups, Sakic would of been one goal away from one

Considering who Iginla had to play with, I think he would edge out Sakic. Though a 38 year old Sakic will always be better than a 38 year old Iginla
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:46 AM   #34
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Even if you think they were roughly equal in their prime, Sakic has been one of top players pretty much his entire career (his first 100+ point season was his second season in the league and his last 100+ point season was 3rd last season) while Iginla's been one of top players for roughly 9-10 years.

Sakic has been also elite defensively, Iggy not so much.
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #35
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

With both players at their peak, there is little to choose between them.

Sakic is a better offensive producer, and excellent defensively as well.

Iginla could hit hard, intimidate, and leads all active players in Gordie Howe Hat Tricks.

Sakic had finesse. Iginla could score two goals and win two fights in the same game.

Which one I would pick for a team would depend on the make up of the rest of the team.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #36
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
With both players at their peak, there is little to choose between them.

Sakic is a better offensive producer, and excellent defensively as well.

Iginla could hit hard, intimidate, and leads all active players in Gordie Howe Hat Tricks.

Sakic had finesse. Iginla could score two goals and win two fights in the same game.

Which one I would pick for a team would depend on the make up of the rest of the team.
Noo it doesn't. You take Sakic everytime. If we had Sakic instead of Iggy we'd have the 04 cup and probably some deep playoff runs.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #37
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I can say is that they're two very different types of players. Sakic had more finesse and better hands, while Iggy is the ultimate power forward. I'd have no qualms about having either of them on the Flames or any Canadian Olympic team. But having seen both on the same team was special.

As well as a few has mentioned, Iggy had double and triple coverages on most nights with players draped all over him. Yet, he still scores 30+ goals a season, with 2 or 3 of those seaons during the 1st pre-CBA era when holding and clutching was the norm. If only the Flames had other guys who scored on a consistant basis, Maybe Iggy would've had more points and goals instead of earning the hard goals. A lot of times where he's on a verge of a hattrick, he'd dish the puck of to his linemate instead of getting the hattrick himself. Sometimes, I wish he was a bit more selfish, but that's the quality in him that shows what kind of a person he is on and off the ice.

Last edited by CSharp; 05-18-2013 at 09:12 AM.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #38
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

NHL totals games 1257 goals 564 assists 562 pts 1126

playoffs games 158 goals 66 assists 50 pts 116 basically twice the playoff games as Iglina

(The OP left out the playoff records of Sakic and Iginla..... that Sakic could use as HOF credentials on their own)

3 SC rings.

He played most of his career injured or recovering from injuries.

Joe Nieuwendyk two-way centre that played all 3 zones.

Centres are traditionally the straw that stirs the drink..... not that many players that carry a team from the wing.

Sakic and Nieuwendyk were able to raise the Quality of their linemates and year after year the Flames were unable to get a centre to play with Iginla.

No one Langkow, Conroy, Rienprect, Lombardi, Morrsison, Drury, Savard ever was carried to All-Star consideration by playing with Iginla.

The few guys who really played better with Iginla were Tanguay and Cammalleri.

Savard doubled his production once he was away from Iginla. Wirh Kovalchuck and then later with Glen Murray Savard was a 1.25 ppg centre
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #39
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
NHL totals games 1257 goals 564 assists 562 pts 1126

playoffs games 158 goals 66 assists 50 pts 116 basically twice the playoff games as Iglina

(The OP left out the playoff records of Sakic and Iginla..... that Sakic could use as HOF credentials on their own)

3 SC rings.

He played most of his career injured or recovering from injuries.

Joe Nieuwendyk two-way centre that played all 3 zones.

Centres are traditionally the straw that stirs the drink..... not that many players that carry a team from the wing.

Sakic and Nieuwendyk were able to raise the Quality of their linemates and year after year the Flames were unable to get a centre to play with Iginla.

No one Langkow, Conroy, Rienprect, Lombardi, Morrsison, Drury, Savard ever was carried to All-Star consideration by playing with Iginla.

The few guys who really played better with Iginla were Tanguay and Cammalleri.

Savard doubled his production once he was away from Iginla. Wirh Kovalchuck and then later with Glen Murray Savard was a 1.25 ppg centre
Who are you talking about? Neither Iggy or Sakic had major injury issues in their careers.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #40
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ven27 View Post
Who are you talking about? Neither Iggy or Sakic had major injury issues in their careers.
sorry I was laying out the credentials of Niewendyk.... you could have caught the 3 SC rings as that beats Sakic.

Last edited by ricardodw; 05-18-2013 at 02:16 PM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post: