Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2014, 04:04 AM   #1
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Lethbridge Hurricanes and Kootenay Ice to relocate

Not sure if this is the right section, if not please move. Also I hope this is a good enough source.

The source is a minority shareholder in the Lethbridge Hurricanes. According to him the following will be announced once the Kootenay Ice are eliminated from the playoffs:

The Lethbridge Hurricanes have been sold to True North Sports and Entertainment and will be moving to Winnipeg to become the "Winnipeg Moose".

The Kootenay Ice will be moving to Lethbridge, I am unsure if they will be the Hurricanes or another incarnation of the Ice. I am not 100% sure who will be the owner of the team but it will likely a group led by Kris Versteeg. However it was stated with 100% certainty that the current ownership group (community shareholders) will not own the team come next season.

edit: also found a Yahoo article that speaks of this as well, it shows a tweet suggesting TNSE is close to purchasing the Hurricanes, but also speaks of the Ice being bought by TNSE and the Hurricanes purchased by Versteeg.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/bu...165510758.html

Quote:
The Cougars have been the subject of rumours they would be moved to Nanaimo or Winnipeg. But Nanaimo lacks a WHL-sized arena, and now it appears Winnipeg will be the home of the Kootenay Ice next season.
Sources say the new ownership group plans to keep the team based in Prince George for at least the next two seasons. If the Cougars continue to lose money, the team will likely be moved to another city. (Prince George Citizen)
Quote:
@WEHPscout
Follow
Rumour: Buyers from Winnipeg close to buying the Leth Hurricanes to be rebranded as Winnipeg Moose. Kootenay then move to Leth. Stay tuned

Last edited by Alberta_Beef; 03-29-2014 at 04:12 AM.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:05 AM   #2
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:
Nothing wrong with punting another nepotistic Brodsky from junior hockey. I'm still waiting for the Blades to recover from over two decades of ineptitude. Since the bantam draft was instituted they haven't been able to list elite players from Saskatoon when they're 13.

Plus it looks like Craig Button is going to help hire a new GM.

https://twitter.com/dnbsports/status/448546505943547904
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #3
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
Nothing wrong with punting another nepotistic Brodsky from junior hockey. I'm still waiting for the Blades to recover from over two decades of ineptitude. Since the bantam draft was instituted they haven't been able to list elite players from Saskatoon when they're 13.

Plus it looks like Craig Button is going to help hire a new GM.

https://twitter.com/dnbsports/status/448546505943547904
You want ineptitude? Last year Lethbridge had the #6 pick, traded down to #17 and all they got to do so was a 20 year old goaltender (Corbin Boes).

Then they traded their 1st round pick in 2014 (which is the 1st overall pick) for Ryan Pilon who walked out on the team a month into the season.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:45 AM   #4
stignasty
Self-Ban

Exp:

I'm sure that hockey fans in Lethbridge will join me in saying good riddance to bad rubbish.
stignasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to stignasty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2014, 06:53 AM   #5
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They drafted Pilon with a pick they got in the carter Ashton trade. They still have their 2014 pick and it is 2nd overall since Saskatoon (who traded the pick to Brandon) won the lottery.

These rumours have been going around for a couple months now.

I will believe it when I see but something needs to be done to get rid of the incompetent board and their flunkies.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should move the Heat to Lethbridge instead.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2014, 07:34 AM   #7
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
They should move the Heat to Lethbridge instead.
No thanks.

Plus can't see Lethbridge signing a moronic deal like Abbotsford did so the Flames would be on the hook for big losses.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:03 AM   #8
Flame12
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I grew up in Kimberley, great place to live if you have a decent job. When I lived there they did support hockey so it would be a shame if the ICE left. I used to go to Kimberley Dynamiters and Cranbrook Royals Senior men hockey games.
Flame12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flame12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kooteny Ice may have been sold to a group that will move the team to Winnipeg. The Ice just aren't getting the fans out to games, even with a prospect like Sam Reinhart. They had an announced attendance of around 1900 the other night for a playoff game. Less than that the Lethbridge Hurricanes would draw for a regular season game and nobody in Lethbridge is happy with how the team is being run and lots are boycotting until the team gets private ownership.

The current owners of Kooteny Ice will then take over ownership of the Lethbridge Hurricanes. The team will stay in Lethbridge. The Hurricanes are currently bleeding money love crazy. The board run team lacks structure and proper leadership.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Not sure if this is the right section, if not please move. Also I hope this is a good enough source.

The source is a minority shareholder in the Lethbridge Hurricanes. According to him the following will be announced once the Kootenay Ice are eliminated from the playoffs:

The Lethbridge Hurricanes have been sold to True North Sports and Entertainment and will be moving to Winnipeg to become the "Winnipeg Moose".

The Kootenay Ice will be moving to Lethbridge, I am unsure if they will be the Hurricanes or another incarnation of the Ice. I am not 100% sure who will be the owner of the team but it will likely a group led by Kris Versteeg. However it was stated with 100% certainty that the current ownership group (community shareholders) will not own the team come next season.

edit: also found a Yahoo article that speaks of this as well, it shows a tweet suggesting TNSE is close to purchasing the Hurricanes, but also speaks of the Ice being bought by TNSE and the Hurricanes purchased by Versteeg.

There are 100's, of minority shareholders so your source does not have any more inside info then the rest of us. Anyone with $100 can become a shareholder. This rumour has been floating around for months however and one local Lethbridge media guy gave the date of May 1 for an anouncement, which is right before the draft.

You are way off on the details of the Ryan Pilon trade and the Hurricanes have 6 picks in the first three rounds this year although it is projected to be a weak drfat year. And the GM is awful so who knows how they will eff this up. And the Coach is awful so getting any highly raked players to commit could be a problem.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:06 AM   #11
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post

Wow thats interesting seeing as there are also rumours about the AHL Ice Caps also playing in Winnipeg for the next couple of years before the arena in Thunder Bay is complete
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Attendence has been bad in Cranbrook, awful in Lethbridge and worse in PG. One of those teams (Cranny) is good year in and year out but there is not the population there to fill the building, 1900 or so in there last two home playoff games. PG has went south hard over the years mostly due to bad ownership. The new group has Hamhuis and Brewer involved so hoping some alumni can spur fan interest again.

Lethbridge being community owned, is a whole diiferent situation. Some are hoping that the league will step in and force the sale of the team. Selling and moving to WPG does make sense as the league needs to build on there MAN base. The reason is that if something happened to Brandon and they moved, the OHL would be into MAN instantly and gain the territory rights for MAN.

So the rumor of Leth to WPG and Koot to Leth all does make sense but we will have to see A) if and B) when.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #13
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt the OHL would go into MB. They are an all bus league now and have never moved into a Thunder Bay which would have out drawn many of the teams they currently have. They also haven't moved into Ohio or anywhere besides near border cities.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #14
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I t is hard to imagine a scenario whereby the OHL would move into Manitoba. Seems to me that the driving distance is too long.

That show on the London
Knights that runs on The Score said that the knights only spend 6 nights away from home all year.

The drive from the western ohl teams to man would be awful.

My question is why not move the ice to wig and then blow up the hurricanes organization, rather than move two teams?
Old 03-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #15
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm not sure Winnipeg can support a NHL and WHL club. I read that despite the Edmonton Oil Kings performance, crowds haven't been that great. Edmonton is more populated, and has more disposable income than Winnipeg. TNSE has their work cut out for them.
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #16
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I t is hard to imagine a scenario whereby the OHL would move into Manitoba. Seems to me that the driving distance is too long.

That show on the London
Knights that runs on The Score said that the knights only spend 6 nights away from home all year.

The drive from the western ohl teams to man would be awful.

My question is why not move the ice to wig and then blow up the hurricanes organization, rather than move two teams?
It sounds like the Chynowths who own Koot, do not want to sell and the True North wants to own the team in Wpg (buy the Hurricanes). If that is all true then two teams moving is the scenario people have come up with.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:44 AM   #17
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Ice owners want to still own a team so they would just move to Lethbridge.

Easier to sell the community owned Hurricanes to the new party rather than make two sales especially when one group is already in place.

Probably some desire to keep the kids/team you built since I think Jeff Chynoweth is the GM as well as owner.
The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #18
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I'm not sure Winnipeg can support a NHL and WHL club. I read that despite the Edmonton Oil Kings performance, crowds haven't been that great. Edmonton is more populated, and has more disposable income than Winnipeg. TNSE has their work cut out for them.
Edmonton showing third in the league in attendance, but I agree, I don't know that Wpg could support both, though I have no idea what the break even attendence number would be in that city, or any city for that matter

http://www.hockeyattendance.com/leag.../?sort=avg_att
Old 03-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #19
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I remember going to Ice games during hockey tournaments in Cranbrook. Watching Blackburn and Stoll and Green, and eventually Dawes, is one of my best memories if minor hockey.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #20
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I live in Lethbridge and there's lots of rumors about this. People would like it just because of the sheer level of ineptitude of the current group. I mean, when you have 4 out of 5 teams make the playoffs, and they've made it once in like 15 years, theres real problems. And im surprised people even go still.

My dream scenario would be move the Hurricanes and move the Heat it. Vancouver pays the Flames so that they get Abby, where there would be a lot more interest in watching thw Canucks farm team, and we get the Heat, which would have a good chance to sell out most games.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
ToraToraTora is offline   Reply With Quote