Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2024, 02:56 PM   #41
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
How many of Huberdeaus points came after the playoff dream was over?
Was kind of curious how his play was by month:

October:
Huberdeau: 5 points in 9 games
Lindholm: 6 points in 9 games (Leader)

November:
Huberdeau: 10 points in 14 games
Kadri: 13 points in 14 games (Leader)

December:
Huberdeau: 1 point in 13 games
Coleman: 13 points in 13 games (Leader)

January:
Huberdeau: 10 points in 12 games
Coleman: 14 points in 13 games (Leader)

February:
Huberdeau: 11 points in 10 games
Kadri: 12 points in 10 games (Leader)

March:
Huberdeau: 9 points in 14 games
Sharangovich: 14 points in 14 games (Leader)

April:
Huberdeau: 6 points in 9 games.
Kuzmenko: 13 points in 9 games

So really outside of December his play wasn't really terrible, with even November being a lot better than I had remembered.

His best stretch was actually Dec 31 to March 7th where he had 25 points in 26 games (which was right after his 12 game pointless streak).

And then after the trade deadline when the Flames season was over he tailed off again with 12 points in the final 20 games once the Flames were pretty much officially done and had traded all the UFAs.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 03:03 PM   #42
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm happy that Dube has disappeared from our memories of this season.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 03:12 PM   #43
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Was kind of curious how his play was by month:

October:
Huberdeau: 5 points in 9 games
Lindholm: 6 points in 9 games (Leader)

November:
Huberdeau: 10 points in 14 games
Kadri: 13 points in 14 games (Leader)

December:
Huberdeau: 1 point in 13 games
Coleman: 13 points in 13 games (Leader)

January:
Huberdeau: 10 points in 12 games
Coleman: 14 points in 13 games (Leader)

February:
Huberdeau: 11 points in 10 games
Kadri: 12 points in 10 games (Leader)

March:
Huberdeau: 9 points in 14 games
Sharangovich: 14 points in 14 games (Leader)

April:
Huberdeau: 6 points in 9 games.
Kuzmenko: 13 points in 9 games

So really outside of December his play wasn't really terrible, with even November being a lot better than I had remembered.

His best stretch was actually Dec 31 to March 7th where he had 25 points in 26 games (which was right after his 12 game pointless streak).

And then after the trade deadline when the Flames season was over he tailed off again with 12 points in the final 20 games once the Flames were pretty much officially done and had traded all the UFAs.
Yeah, if he could have managed his normal 10 points or so in December, he's in the 60s. Not great, but it looks a bit better. To me he looked like he struggled a lot less to make plays in 2024, things were coming more naturallu and he looked a lot more dangerous, especially when he paired with Kuzmenko or Sharangovich. He also didn't look bad when he overlapped with Kadri from time to time. Better than when they were regular linemates.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 03:26 PM   #44
EDMONTONisNG
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Not liking how the whole marky situation unfolded.

I had it on in the background but I think he said he like winning games and he talked with Conroy and left it at that. Its obvious hes done with losing and doesnt want to be part of this rebuild. Just wish we dealt with it sooner but shrugs.
EDMONTONisNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 03:32 PM   #45
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I just can't help but be totally 100% negative about Huberdeau. I'm sure he is a great guy, teammate or whatever, but he is a 50 point player making 10.5 million who is on the wrong side of 30.
Imagine if Huberdeau got to spend some time with a player we used to have who was amazing at scoring goals from all over the place and was always ready for passes...

Bring back Monny
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 03:36 PM   #46
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

They've picked a direction, which is good. It's clear to see how this team can rebuild its way back into contention. Just have to commit to it.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 03:49 PM   #47
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I wonder if we'll see any changes to the coaching staff? Since he was fired in St. Louis, I've been saying they should go after Berube. I'm sure he's in high demand, but he is from Alberta and twice played for the Flames, so he might be interested in returning.

For a long time, it looked like Savard was a dead man walking, but since the trade deadline, the Flames have had the 3rd best PP in the league, only 0.5% behind Tampa.

Over the last month, since March 19, they had the best PP in the league.
The pp was downright depressing. Really pleasant surprise to see it turn around so dramatically.

But man, why can't everything be firing at once? Laughable how it only turned around after it was mathematically too late for them. Would be nice if we got the good PP and elite goaltending together.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 03:55 PM   #48
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
But man, why can't everything be firing at once? Laughable how it only turned around after it was mathematically too late for them. Would be nice if we got the good PP and elite goaltending together.
It's not laughable, it's the players they had.

The power play turned around after Kuzmenko was able to get on it regularly. He missed some time after the trade. But by that time, Tanev and Hanifin were gone, the defence sucked, and naturally that made the goaltending look worse.

These things happen when you turn over a third of your roster in mid-season.
Old 04-19-2024, 03:57 PM   #49
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah kuzmenko was the key to it turning around.

Highly doubtful they find their way just under the guidance of Savard if Kuzzy doesn't come over.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 04:08 PM   #50
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's crazy, actually, how much turnover there was during the season.

Here's the opening night roster (approximate depth chart, not actual lines):

Huberdeau – Lindholm – Sharangovich
Mangiapane – Kadri – Coleman
Dube – Backlund – Coronato
Greer – Ruzicka – Duehr
Hunt

Hanifin – Andersson
Weegar – Tanev
Zadorov – Gilbert
Oesterle

Markstrom
Vladar

Traded: Lindholm, Hanifin, Tanev, Zadorov
Injured (out for season): Vladar
Demoted: Oesterle
Lost on waivers: Ruzicka
Cut: Dube

That's 8 of 22 players gone between game 1 and game 82.

Last edited by Jay Random; 04-19-2024 at 04:13 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 04:13 PM   #51
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couldn't find it any where, but has there been any news on which players are going to join the Wranglers for the playoffs? I see they play today and tomorrow. I didn't see anything in the transactions on capfriendly.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 04:20 PM   #52
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

They haven't sent down yet, although they have called Honzek to the Wranglers. Maybe they want to give them a day or two to decompress. The Wranglers are in Abbotsford this weekend so its not like going there would take long.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 04:25 PM   #53
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wolf, Coronato, Klapka and Solovyov were assigned after the game last night.
https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flam...s-to-wranglers
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gallione11 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 05:19 PM   #54
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
His production numbers are mainly about December, which was atrocious. From Jan. 1 onward (until the last week) his numbers were not bad at all (not $10.5M, but also not $5M). Outside of December he was, in fact, much better than last year, which explains your eye test.

His +/- has been explained: 21 of those minuses are ENG against and/or shorthanded goals against, most of which would not be on him. Possession wise, his stats are among the best on the team over the last while, according to Bingo.
Shorthanded goals against and power play goals for are not counted towards plus/minus. But short handed goals scored are counted.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2024, 05:24 PM   #55
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Shorthanded goals against and power play goals for are not counted towards plus/minus. But short handed goals scored are counted.
Shorthanded goals against most certainly are counted, both as pluses for the scoring team and minuses for the opposing power play.
Old 04-19-2024, 05:34 PM   #56
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Kuzmenko injected unpredictability into the powerplay. Before that, the PP was very predictable and easily defended.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 05:02 PM   #57
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Best way to tank? 2x30g scorers, a 29g scorer, 20g D-man, Kuzmenko, new goalie.. COUld have been worse.
Old 04-21-2024, 05:05 PM   #58
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
SH goals against are a minus, as are ENG goals against.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 05:21 PM   #59
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the season was … OK

I wish the Flames had moved players sooner and “tanked “ earlier to have a true year 1 of a rebuild .

I’m happy they moved the IFAa but worry that they tried to sign a few multiple times

I guess the players we got back are kind of good and entertaining - but we couldn’t get any blueish chip prospects in trades (not saying there were any - just would have been helpful )

I actually worry the play of the Russians might cloud logical judgement of where this team really is .

The Flames were one of the healthiest teams this year . They got half a season of top goaltending . Coleman had a career year . Weegar scored 20. The Russians were amazing

A lot actually went very right with this team and still are still not even close to being good

I hope the team doesn’t expect all the good thing to
Repeat and push too many chips in next year / during UFA

Hopefully the conditions on their 1st pick allow them to see
Clearly next year has to be a bad season . Keep clearing out assets . Weaponize your cap space .

It gives me hope maybe they have finally seen the light and will do things properly - but I will believe it when I see an unforce offseason reflecting this direction
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 06:55 PM   #60
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What are your thoughts? Good, bad and ugly about your 2023/24 Calgary Flames?
Good: Conroy selling everything that wasn't nailed down. While some of the returns were underwhelming, something was acquired for the pending UFAs. Conroy needs to continue divesting assets next season. Markstrom, Mangiapane and Andersson should all be moved to continue to load up on draft capital.

Coleman and Weegar. If the team is truly committed to a multi-year rebuild, these are the guys you want in your locker room to show the up and comers the right way to play the game.

Kylington returning to the club and playing well. Hopefully Conroy can sign him to a deal with a lower AAV so that he can be moved for more assets.

Bad: Near term future. The team lacks any high end talent whatsoever and/or prospects that project into top 6 forwards or top 2 defencemen. Even if Wolf turns out to be a legit #1G he is not enough to make the team a contender. I'd be shocked if the Flames make the playoffs before the new arena is ready.

Ugly: Huberdeau and Kadri contracts. They were bad when they were signed and will absolutely prevent the team from doing a quick retool and contending anytime soon.