Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #41
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
There seems to be a higher commitment and enthusiasm level from Gaudreau this off-season, it's great to see. This team could really use a step up in leadership from him. Not questioning things before but Gaudreau truly "getting it" would be a boon for this team.
To be fair to Gaudreau, the contract negotiations last offseason likely affected his commitment and enthusiasm levels.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #42
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Number of players to score 120 points in an NHL season in the last ten years: 0

Come again?
I didn't say he would or would even be likely to do so.

I said he was more likely to score 120 than 80. I obviously think his chances of scoring 80 is remote (barring injury of course).

Offense seems to be on the upswing these days.

But you've made a fair comment, I wasn't aware of that fact.

Although a number of players had the PPG average to reach 120 points, but they missed too many games.

I was assuming 82 games for McDavid of course. But I agree it's a tough number to reach these days.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #43
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Barring injury, McDavid is more likely to get 120 points than 80 points.

Anything is possible of course, but it's a huge longshot at best.

He's still aways from his prime, and he's averaged 96 points per 82 games in the NHL.
That is such a weird way to say he 148 points in 127 games. You don't get points pro rated based on injuries. I do think he will get his points, but they really went out of their way to get him to the century mark. He got a bunch of garbage time PP to get points when the Oilers were up by more than a few late in the game. If he gets 120 points is because he is playing 25 to 30 minutes a game, which they might need to do to keep that team competitive.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:38 PM   #44
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
That is such a weird way to say he 148 points in 127 games. You don't get points pro rated based on injuries. I do think he will get his points, but they really went out of their way to get him to the century mark. He got a bunch of garbage time PP to get points when the Oilers were up by more than a few late in the game. If he gets 120 points is because he is playing 25 to 30 minutes a game, which they might need to do to keep that team competitive.
There no doubt that he's in a usage system which is way more conducive to him scoring points than Johnny's usage.

Since I was basing my statement on him getting 82 games, I thought his career PPG average was relevant, including how those games were trending.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #45
erikk3
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Never thought I'd see the day CP turned a Gaudreau thread into a McDavid thread.
erikk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #46
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh good, we're talking about McDavid again.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #47
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
To be fair to Gaudreau, the contract negotiations last offseason likely affected his commitment and enthusiasm levels.
100%
Then missing camp, a new coach new system etc etc, that hurt. With that contract holdout and Monahan missing all of camp with an injury we were way behind the 8 ball to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
Oh good, we're talking about McDavid again.
amen.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:34 PM   #48
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gaudreau said. "[The Predators], what they did so well in the postseason was have their 'D' jump into the play. For our 'D' at least, I think that's something they can do."
Interesting. Is he saying Gulutzan was too conservative last year?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #49
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Interesting. Is he saying Gulutzan was too conservative last year?
So the overwhelmingly positive article was, for you, Gaudreau's secret criticism of Gulutzen? Interesting.

It was a simple comparison between his team and the team that made the cup final.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #50
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
The pessimist in me looks at a comment like that and thinks that Gaudreau is committed to this team for only another three years. If they don't make any noise between now and then, he'll likely look elsewhere in free agency.
Although he has more than that on his contract. I would agree but I wouldn't call it pessimistic.

I think there is a 95% chance that this is the last contract Gaudreau plays with the Flames. It will take Blackhawkian levels of success to keep him here IMO. And even then, he might decide he's done what he can and head back out east to finish off. No doubt in my mind as soon as he can he's gonna go play close to home and/or with his college buddies.

And to me, that's totally fine. I expect it to be the case, I won't be disappointed if it happens. If he sticks, it probably means there have been good years here and we'll all be very happy.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #51
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
So the overwhelmingly positive article was, for you, Gaudreau's secret criticism of Gulutzen? Interesting.
More of a constructive criticism than a 'secret' criticism. He seems to be saying that we have the horses to be a more aggressive team, and we have an open window to play that way for three more years.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:06 PM   #52
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
More of a constructive criticism than a 'secret' criticism. He seems to be saying that we have the horses to be a more aggressive team, and we have an open window to play that way for three more years.
Or he's just stating the fact that they have the ability to do it. Which they can and do.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #53
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the things Gulutzen said after the Ducks series was they they probably should have engaged their defense more in the offensive zone.

So might not be a critisim of GG but something that has been discussed organizationally.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 05:33 PM   #54
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are at least 4 really good teams in the Western Conference. If the Flames finally gets rid of the Honda Center curse, that's one great achievement in itself!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #55
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I would agree with this. It really seems like Gaudreau is beginning to become a better leader and a great ambassador to the city and team.

He was here for the stampede parade, he was part of the team in recruiting Foo, he has been making contact both privately and publicly with new team members.

I'm predicting a huge year for Johnny

Agreed.

He had so many things working against him to start last season. His holdout and missing camp, Monahan missing camp, an entirely new system/coach, and the pressure of a huge money contract.

I think a whole TC with all the guys there and healthy will benefit everyone including Gulutzan and crew, knowing he doesnt have to do everything by himself right away to earn his salary, and the additions on defense that should really help the whole defense strategy.

It should help everybody if all that stuff occurs which it should.

Obviously there are still questions in goal and and a couple more up front, but for the most part this looks like a very solid team and one that should contend for the division lead.

That being said, injuries could derail things, and i fear we see a bit of a holdout from Bennett. Those 2 things change everything if they happen.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #56
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think that that Johnny and Monahan, need a good winger with them. If there was a way to get James Neal or Reilly Smith out of Vegas on the cheap, that would be very good.

The lineup might look something like this, Brouwer is traded here.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal/Smith
Ferland-Frolik-Backlund
Tkachuk-Bennett-Lazar/Foo
Versteeg-Jankowski-Stajan

Foo is the first call up, if injuries happen and chances are likely that will happen because it is a long season. Gives Jankowski a sheltered role, Bennett gets good linemates and good balance through out the lineup.

Last edited by Par; 07-19-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:55 PM   #57
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk3 View Post
Never thought I'd see the day CP turned a Gaudreau thread into a McDavid thread.
Where's Jankowski when you need him?
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #58
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we only have three players who will drop the gloves in Giordano, Tkachuk, and Ferland. Is it enough?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #59
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I think we only have three players who will drop the gloves in Giordano, Tkachuk, and Ferland. Is it enough?
In today's NHL? Yes.

Giordano isn't much of a fighter either, him and Hamonic are tough as nails players but they aren't big fighters. Gio hasn't had more then one fight in a season since 2010-2011. He had one last year and zero the year before.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:25 PM   #60
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

The success beyond that 3 yr immediate window to create a much longer window I think will depend largely on how well Parsons or Gillies turn out.