Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best guess at Sam Bennett's contract
2 years $6M ($3/) 34 5.57%
2 years $5.5M 62 10.16%
2 years $5M 105 17.21%
2 years $4.5M 118 19.34%
2 years $4M 55 9.02%
3 years $9M 53 8.69%
3 years $8.25M 47 7.70%
3 years $7.5M 54 8.85%
3 years $6.75M 30 4.92%
3 years $6M 10 1.64%
1 year deal 8 1.31%
Long Term deal 34 5.57%
Voters: 610. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2017, 03:33 PM   #141
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

as much as I'm excited for Bennett, he really hasn't done much other than show effort and that doesn't justify a payday. He has to learn to play a game that is going to be successful for him not one that was successful for him in the minors. I see a 2 year deal at under 3 mill per or 3 years between 3-3.5 He just hasn't proven anything yet and if he doesn't this season, I could see this situation going sour and something happening.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:44 PM   #142
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
No way Bennett should be getting $3 mil AAV or $3 mil + AAV on his new contract.
I don't think you grasped the context of that ballpark figure, considering you're only looking at AAV. It would probably be 2-2.5ish if they left it at two years.

Put yourself in the position of Sam Bennett's agent. They're betting on him greatly improving in two years and allowing him to come cheap on a 2 yr bridge would maximize his earnings if that were to come true. And looking at Sam's overall game (not just pt totals) he is most definitely improving. He could likely be losing out on millions of dollars were he to stay cheap for that 3rd year and both parties know it.

The way I structured the payout of that 3rd year in my post above would probably be the only way Bennett's camp agree on a 3rd year. But it helps us avoid a Tkachuk/Bennett cap crunch in the same offseason.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:45 PM   #143
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

New question and poll... When will he get? LOL getting impatient with these summer doldrums now
Willi Plett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willi Plett For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 03:53 PM   #144
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought he started to find his game late in the season and in the playoffs. I think all the minors called against him early threw him off his game and he became passive and really wasn't effective. Bennett needs to play aggressive/close to that line and we started to see more of that late and in the playoffs.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #145
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Bridging Bennett for anything less than 3 years is poor cap management. Brouwer and Frolik expire in 3 years, so if we bridge Bennett 2 years and he earns a big raise - we're pretty much screwed cap-wise, especially because a bridge for Tkachuk seems unlikely at this stage.
It, of course, takes two to agree to a deal.

3 years will have a much larger AAV than 2 years.

Bennett would likely not agree to a 3 year deal unless he really likes the extra amount.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #146
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
No way Bennett should be getting $3 mil AAV or $3 mil + AAV on his new contract.
It will be if they want it to have term of 3-4 years or more.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:46 PM   #147
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sam shouldn't get more than 2.5 AAV, he hasn't proven that he is worth more than that in his time in the NHL. 2 years at 2-2.5 AAV seems about right by me, make him earn his next big pay day. Bridge deal is the way to go.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:52 PM   #148
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Sam shouldn't get more than 2.5 AAV, he hasn't proven that he is worth more than that in his time in the NHL. 2 years at 2-2.5 AAV seems about right by me, make him earn his next big pay day. Bridge deal is the way to go.
Those numbers make sense, but I think a contract like that is ignoring the bigger picture though - if Bennett earns the big pay day after a 2 year deal, then the Flames are in a cap crunch and rough spot. That's why you pay slightly more and get that 3rd year - so that when Bennett comes up for his next deal, Brouwer and Frolik are both off the books.

Last edited by ComixZone; 07-19-2017 at 10:56 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #149
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Man we have a ton of players up in 3 yrs. think this will be a 2 yr deal as most mention around $2.5M
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 07:17 AM   #150
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
Man we have a ton of players up in 3 yrs. think this will be a 2 yr deal as most mention around $2.5M
2 years could make it tough to keep both Bennett and Tkachuk and if Ferland and Lazar earn huge raises could make it very challenging to keep all 4. I suppose Stone and Frolik could be easily moved before their contracts expire and hopefully Brouwer rebuilds himself to be movable in 2 years.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:41 AM   #151
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So quiet on the Bennet front. Is there a similar/comparable player going to arbitration that they could be waiting to see the numbers?
Old 07-20-2017, 10:48 AM   #152
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect the Bennett camp is pointing out the stats without being saddled with Brouwer as a winger. Quite the player.

I suspect the Flames are pushing to include all stats including those the stats where Brouwer was his winger. Quite the anchor weighing Bennett down.

I suggest there is a million dollar per year difference in the player with and without Brouwer.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #153
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I suspect the Bennett camp is pointing out the stats without being saddled with Brouwer as a winger. Quite the player.

I suspect the Flames are pushing to include all stats including those the stats where Brouwer was his winger. Quite the anchor weighing Bennett down.

I suggest there is a million dollar per year difference in the player with and without Brouwer.
The true value of Brouwer. Savings on Bennett's contract. Genius!!

Last edited by Willi Plett; 07-21-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #154
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Plett View Post
The true value of Brouwer. Savings on Bennet's contract. Genius!!
Addition by subtraction...I get it. Treliving is indeed a wizard!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #155
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Addition by subtraction...I get it. Treliving is indeed a wizard!
More of a zero sum game. Sam Bennett's money is simply going to Brouwer instead.
NiklasSundblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #156
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

4 year deal makes the most sense to me. 11-12m. Good cap management.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #157
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
You mean they would be pointing to the period of 23 Dec to 12 Jan when Brouwer was sidelined with a hand injury? Bennett scored one goal in that nine game stretch.

Quote:
So, the Flames would be the ones pointing out that when Bennett and Brouwer played primarily together before Brouwer's 23 Dec hand injury that both players were on a 40-point pace?

Quote:
You could be right. Although it may turn out that the difference does not follow the same direction as your opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-20-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 05:20 PM   #158
JohnnyTitan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I for one don't actually want Tre to make any more splashes into Free Agency. I don't want Iginla. I don't want Jagr. I want:
1) Work with what we have in the forward ranks - at least until Trade Deadline
2) Give us some cap space so there are ZERO BONUS OVERAGES next season. I'd guess that Tkachuk and Janko will be earning them. Let's pay for them THIS YEAR
3) Spend a little extra on Bennett such that we have him for at least that crucial third year. Some people will flame me...but I'd rather spend an extra $1M per season to keep Bennett happy for 3 years than entertain signing Iggy.
JohnnyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyTitan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #159
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

While a bridge deal of 2 years @ ~5m seems the mostly likely, I think the flames have to seriously consider a long-term deal with Bennett:

1) Flames have excess salary cap over the next 2 years but things get tight after that. Might as well sign a long term deal with Bennett to reduce the cap hit in the 2019+ period when things are tight and increase the cap hit over the next 2 seasons when there should be excess room under the cap.

2) I think Bennett is the type of player where the organization can afford to gamble on a long term contract. Through friends connected to flames players, I continue to hear that many continue to view Bennett as the most talented forward in the organization and among the most disciplined.

Year 1. 1.5m
Year 2. 3.5m
Year 3. 3.5m
Year 4. 5.0m
Year 5. 5.0m
Year 6. 7.0m
Year 7. 7.0m

7 years @ 4.65m
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #160
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
While a bridge deal of 2 years @ ~5m seems the mostly likely, I think the flames have to seriously consider a long-term deal with Bennett...
A long term deal with Bennett would be terrific, but as has been pointed out numerous times this is almost certainly not going to happen. As badly as the Flames want to lock Bennett in for six or more years his agent will not cooperate.

A two or three year deal is what will happen because that is the most Bennett will want to commit to in order to maximize his own earning potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote