Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #1
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Anton Yelchin passes away

Played Chekov in recently released Star Trek films, has died in a car accident at the age of 27.The actor had risen to prominence with several blockbuster films in recent years - and has a starring role in Star Trek Beyond, which is due to be released in July.
Publicist Jennifer Allen confirmed Yelchin was killed early on Sunday morning.
The died in a freak accident after getting pinned between his car and a brick mailbox at his home.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/star-trek-...180901429.html
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:38 AM   #2
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

So sad. I thought he and Emile Hircsh were the best of a bunch of mediocre to awful performances in Alpha Dog.

What a way to go, my goodness.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:13 AM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The Jeep Grand Cherokee he was driving was under recall for a shifter design that caused people to think they put it in park but accidentally leave it in reverse or neutral.

You know it's a problem when there is a tutorial like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpgyxHwV8Fo
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:12 AM   #4
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

People like to rag on Terminator Salvation, but I really enjoyed it for what it was. Anton did a great job with Kyle Reese IMO. Also did a great job in Freaky Friday, which I thought was a fun movie.

Really said when a seemingly normal dude (especially in Hollywood) gets taken out like this. I wonder if a lawsuit could be coming to Jeep for this.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:17 AM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Lawsuit, this will be monstrous as far as lawsuits go.

The lost income to his family and studios could be massive.

On top of this some genius Star Trek fan is going to launch a class action suit probably that will be joined by a million billion trekkies.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #6
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is ridiculous why would they change it like that
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #7
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's not the shifter per se at fault. It's that they implemented the shifter without proper safety controls. Other manufacturers (I think BMW among them) implement a similar shifter design without the same problems.

The issue is that Jeep allowed the vehicle to remain in drive/reverse/neutral when the driver's side door was open, which led to accidents. I believe their recall fixes this to shift the car to park automatically when the door is opened.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
It's not the shifter per se at fault. It's that they implemented the shifter without proper safety controls. Other manufacturers (I think BMW among them) implement a similar shifter design without the same problems.

The issue is that Jeep allowed the vehicle to remain in drive/reverse/neutral when the driver's side door was open, which led to accidents. I believe their recall fixes this to shift the car to park automatically when the door is opened.
There is still danger if you think your car is parked but you remain inside and don't open the door. You can tell around 1:32 of that video where the software has a lag between positions. You hold it forward from drive and reach the top before the software catches up and it actually goes to P. Yes if you suddenly parked on a hill to answer your phone, you could probably hit the brakes if noticed quickly enough but it's still a bad design not to be able to instantly go into Park and not even have any tactile or audible feedback to let you know you did so.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #9
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree - I'm not a fan of the shifter design myself. I only wanted to point out that the move from analog to electronic shifters is being done elsewhere, not just by FCA.

We actually have a Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee) which still uses a traditional shifter. But the emergency brake is electronic - a small "paddle" is pressed to engage the brake, and lifted to release it. I miss cranking a lever to engage the brake. Worse, on two occasions so far, the emergency brake has automatically engaged while we were stopped at a light. Lots can go wrong when actions are controlled by bits instead of mechanisms.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:29 PM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
I agree - I'm not a fan of the shifter design myself. I only wanted to point out that the move from analog to electronic shifters is being done elsewhere, not just by FCA.

We actually have a Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee) which still uses a traditional shifter. But the emergency brake is electronic - a small "paddle" is pressed to engage the brake, and lifted to release it. I miss cranking a lever to engage the brake. Worse, on two occasions so far, the emergency brake has automatically engaged while we were stopped at a light. Lots can go wrong when actions are controlled by bits instead of mechanisms.
There's nothing wrong with electronic, the problem is bad design means there is no tactile or audio cues to get you into the position you want right away or to confirm you have put it into the correct setting. It could be a touchscreen with a big giant "P" that vibrates when activated and a Star Trek voice that says "Car in Park" for all I care.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #11
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Maybe it really was the shirt?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote