Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Led Zepplin Copyright Trial

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/led-zepp...rial-1.3531641

Quote:
A trial is needed to determine if Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven copies its opening notes from a song performed by the rock band Spirit, a federal judge has ruled.

U.S District Judge R. Gary Klausner ruled Friday that lawyers for the trustee of late Spirit guitarist Randy Wolfe had shown enough evidence to support a case that Stairway to Heaven copies music from the instrumental Spirit track Taurus.
Quote:
Skidmore was able to overcome statute-of-limitations hurdles to sue over Stairway to Heaven because the song was remastered and re-released in 2014.

A jury trial is scheduled for May 10 in Los Angeles. Klausner's ruling removed Zeppelin band member John Paul Jones from the case. Bandmates Robert Plant and Jimmy Page remain defendants in the case.
Wow, It's been a long time, been a long time.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Never heard of the Spirit song before - but I can definitely hear the similarities.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Led Zeppelin are ruthless song thieves, they'll all be in litigation until they are all dead:

http://www.warr.org/zep.html#Thieves

Led Zeppelin, imo, elevated the songs a great deal because everyone in the band was an absolutely massive talent.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:34 PM   #4
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Led Zeppelin are ruthless song thieves, they'll all be in litigation until they are all dead:

Led Zeppelin, imo, elevated the songs a great deal because everyone in the band was an absolutely massive talent.
Yep they've defiantly got previous form for this.
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #5
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Yep they've defiantly got previous form for this.
I have this foggy memory of a quote from Keith Richards to the effect of there are only so many chords and everybody took from somebody.

Quote:
Old 04-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #6
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Spirit claim is a bit minimal but Bert Jansch got robbed, guy taught Page how to play folk as well which made it worse!

afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #7
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Homer: Let's just look. There's Big Ben; there's Piccadilly Circus; there's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the Earth; Oh, there's the kids.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2016, 08:17 PM   #8
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Can definitely see their case after listening to it. Significantly re-arranged though (as Led Zep always does..)
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:39 PM   #9
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I have this foggy memory of a quote from Keith Richards to the effect of there are only so many chords and everybody took from somebody.
But every song has its own fingerprint - Shazam can identify songs simply from the sequence of rising and falling notes in a song.

It is true there are only so many notes in a scale - but are there limitless combinations when you alter tempos, rhythms, harmony, dynamics, keys, pitch and timbre?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:26 AM   #10
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone rips off everybody.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:05 AM   #11
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a joke, the two songs share very little. Hell there's a Pink Floyd song on the Wall that sounds similar too both.

The only thing that matters is that everyone agrees this is the best version of stairway.

burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:46 AM   #12
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone lifts chords and bits of melody here and there. Page went well beyond that. Dazed and Confused is pretty much an unattributed cover of a band Page saw play in New York (he has a remarkable memory for tunes). The fact Led Zep toured with Spirit before they recorded Stairway to Heaven is more than a little suspicious. And when other bands covered traditional blues or folk songs, they'd at least attribute them as 'traditional arrangement.' Page slapped his name on a whole bunch of songs he didn't write.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-13-2016 at 10:27 AM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:47 AM   #13
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

A record company once sued John Fogerty for sounding too much like CCR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_plagiarism
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #14
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
But every song has its own fingerprint - Shazam can identify songs simply from the sequence of rising and falling notes in a song.

It is true there are only so many notes in a scale - but are there limitless combinations when you alter tempos, rhythms, harmony, dynamics, keys, pitch and timbre?
I said it was a "foggy memory".

Quote:
Old 04-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #15
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keith Richards has said that.

The only difference is the Stones' would give credit to the people they ripped off. I love Zeppelin, but there are definitely some ripped off lyrics and riffs. Whole Lotta Love is basically ripped right from Muddy Waters' "You Need Love".
Old 04-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #16
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Of course the opening bit of Stairway is a rip off of Taurus but it's a relatively short (albeit iconic) bit of an eight minute song. The problem with Zeppelin and the lineage of so many of their songs is that they were so blase about lifting bits and pieces from others and calling them their own.

Most of this stemmed from Page and their manager Peter Grant and was supported (by silence and inaction mostly) by Atlantic Records (Ahmet Ertegun and Jerry Wexler). A complicating factor was that Jimmy Page had almost complete artistic control and he held the publishing rights to the music. Led Zeppelin I, for example, was financed personally by Page, for about $3500 USD, completed in roughly (edit: 18 <- incorrect) 35 studio hours, and he delivered to Atlantic a complete mixed-down album on masters ready for production. This was very unusual in 1968 if not unheard of. It's these kinds of circumstances and conditions that allowed a culture where Zeppelin felt like they could really do anything including take other artists IP and call it their own. The other thing to keep in mind is that in '68 / '69 IP law and the looseness of song authorship and publishing rights was very young and, as other posters have said, nicking other people songs was done all the time by just about everyone. The reason Led Zep gets bagged on so hard is because the songs became so famous and Zeppelin has been so huge and influential.

It's hilariously hypocritical that Willie Dixon successfully sued Zep for appropriating Whole Lotta Love (justly it appears) yet there is lots of indications that Dixon himself ripped off many of his fellow black artists back in the day because he was more educated and savvy. Probably nobody who ascended in the late 60's has truly clean hands.

The most egregious example of outright theft of IP by Led Zep is Dazed and Confused by Jake Holmes. This wasn't a lifting of a bit of lyric or a riff here or there. It was the complete song, title, music and lyrics that Zeppelin simply called their own on LedZep I.

With this latest lawsuit, if Plant stays true to his previous public comments on this topic and this song in particular (a song he has since come to despise) he will throw Page under the bus like he has previously "He was music, I was lyrics".

Last edited by PostandIn; 04-14-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Not 18 studio hours, 35.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PostandIn For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #17
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What about the entire vocal parts? Lyrics? The chorus and bridge at the end? None of that could have said to have been borrowed.

There is a progression of 5 chords that Stairway follows in it's intro/verses, except the Stairway version has a couple augmented ones whereas spirit doesn't, and it diverges from there. That progression has been used many times elsewhere as it's quite simple. The way the chords are picked are what make them sound similar, but regardless, 90% of Stairway is otherwise original content.

While perhaps the intro was could have been inspired by it, the two works don't mirror each other enough for Wolfe to be claiming that he deserves credit. Some iteration of that intro I guarantee has been used in classical songs probably hundreds of years prior. So that's baloney.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #18
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
While perhaps the intro was could have been inspired by it, the two works don't mirror each other enough for Wolfe to be claiming that he deserves credit.
FYI, this is the estate of Randy California (nee Wolfe) that is responsible for the lawsuit. He is dead.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #19
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
What about the entire vocal parts? Lyrics? The chorus and bridge at the end? None of that could have said to have been borrowed.

There is a progression of 5 chords that Stairway follows in it's intro/verses, except the Stairway version has a couple augmented ones whereas spirit doesn't, and it diverges from there. That progression has been used many times elsewhere as it's quite simple. The way the chords are picked are what make them sound similar, but regardless, 90% of Stairway is otherwise original content.

While perhaps the intro was could have been inspired by it, the two works don't mirror each other enough for Wolfe to be claiming that he deserves credit. Some iteration of that intro I guarantee has been used in classical songs probably hundreds of years prior. So that's baloney.
Taurus is an instrumental so there can be no claim to the lyric obviously and I agree that any legitimate claim Wolfe may have is for a very small part of the overall song. That said, the progression in question is so similar and there are other bits of information that could be presented to a jury, like that archivists have dug up concert playbills with both Zeppelin and Spirit listed for the same show, it might be pretty easy for a jury to conclude that there was a short enough and bold enough line of exposure to Page to make an award. It doesn't help that Page has claimed never to have heard of Spirit or heard Taurus when that appears not to be the case. Regardless, it's a shame all this tawdriness surrounds such a majestic piece of music that contains what many believe is one of the best guitar solos ever recorded.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:56 PM   #20
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I think the Spirit claim is a bit minimal but Bert Jansch got robbed, guy taught Page how to play folk as well which made it worse!

Spoiler!
A little part of me dies every time I hear another song that LZ stole. Jimmy page will still remain my favourite guitarist of all time, imo, his body of work eclipses that of any other guitarist (Hendrix was definitely more talented, but Hendrix made music for 2.5 years, Page made it for 15 years).

My Mt Rushmore of rock guitar is Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote