Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #81
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I remember Cory Sarich in an interview once talking about all you have to do is reach that #8th seed, and then anything can happen.

That really irked me how their apparent goal was 8th.

They proceeded to miss the playoffs for 4 years.
This is a pretty common thing for players to say, and not all of their teams miss the playoffs. I like how confidently Gaudreau is talking about the Flames, but I won't put much stock in this rhetoric as a factor in on-ice success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #82
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Good goaltenders like Bobrovsky, Dubnyk and Crawford can fall apart in the playoffs and lesser goaltenders like Fleury, Allen and Rinne can catch fire.

If you're top ~20 in goaltending and your goalie isn't slumping at the wrong time, it's not much of a reliable bottleneck OR advantage in a seven game series. Goalies can win/lose you a series but it may not be the goalies expected to win/lose you a series. Hell Jonas Hiller stole us a series a couple years back.
I would not refer to either Rinne and Fleury as lesser goaltenders in any conversation lol
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #83
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I think we only have three players who will drop the gloves in Giordano, Tkachuk, and Ferland. Is it enough?
Brouwer (who had a broken hand) fought as much as Gio last year and averages two or three more per year. Bart had a two in his limited time here. Bennett will fight. Hamonic fought 4 times last year. Stone had one.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #84
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is a pretty common thing for players to say, and not all of their teams miss the playoffs. I like how confidently Gaudreau is talking about the Flames, but I won't put much stock in this rhetoric as a factor in on-ice success.
I believe in sports psychology. Think like a champion; become a champion. You have to set high expectations of yourself and your team in order to become a champion.

IMO, anyway.

It was refreshing to hear him use that language as opposed to some of the things we've heard from yesteryear.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 10:31 AM   #85
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I believe in sports psychology. Think like a champion; become a champion. You have to set high expectations of yourself and your team in order to become a champion...
Oh, sure. I get it, and I generally agree that championships require an element of psychological fortitude. But what I take issue with is the opposite—that when players talk about "just making the playoffs" this is some sort of indication of failure. Plenty of players have said things just like this and gone on to win championships.

Psychology is interesting that way.

Quote:
Old 07-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #86
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
You're not alone. I like Smith but goaltending is the biggest wild card. Again.

Given that we haven't had a reliable starter in years any acquisition this summer is a wild card.

Sign Bishop: can he stay healthy, will the decrease in equipment size affect him?

Trade for Grubauer/Raanta: are they the next Cam Talbot or the next Alex Auld?

Re-sign Elliott: is he too mentally broken down, can he recover from the playoff collapse?

Every acquisition is a dice roll.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #87
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Enough for what exactly? Fuelling media narratives about hanging with big bad bubble teams like Winnipeg and Los Angeles? Or keeping up with such truculent contenders as Pittsburgh, Chicago, Nashville?
Yeah sure, that's why the Pens traded their first round pick and a young centre for Ryan Reeves and a second. Just because a team doesn't carry a fighter doesn't mean they don't need one.

Quote:
Unhappy with the physical abuse that Crosby took in the playoffs, the Penguins gave up a first-round pick (No. 31 in 2017) and 23-year-old prospect center Oskar Sundqvist to the St. Louis Blues for tough guy Ryan Reaves and a second-round pick (No. 51 in 2017).
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...guy/425805001/
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #88
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah sure, that's why the Pens traded their first round pick and a young centre for Ryan Reeves and a second. Just because a team doesn't carry a fighter doesn't mean they don't need one.

Who says that move is even going to pay off? We've seen them go back to back with Patric Hornqvist as their most physical player who probably wouldn't even be top three in Calgary
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #89
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If having Ferland on the first line doesn't help Gaudreau, having Ryan Reaves on the 4th line or in the press box isn't going to change how much abuse Crosby takes.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #90
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, that is exactly what it means, because no team really needs a "fighter" in today's NHL. Teams that carry them might find them useful distractions given that most of these tend to be short on talent, but Pittsburgh's acquisition of Reeves is a pointless mistake.

Quote:
Old 07-20-2017, 06:06 PM   #91
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
If having Ferland on the first line doesn't help Gaudreau, having Ryan Reaves on the 4th line or in the press box isn't going to change how much abuse Crosby takes.
From what I see, Ferland isn't there to protect Gaudreau. Ferland fights his own fights, and with his hitting gives the opposition something more to distract them.

Reaves provides protection in the sense that he'll be sent out to hammer anyone who takes too many liberties.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #92
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Reaves provides protection in the sense that he'll be sent out to hammer anyone who takes too many liberties.
Has that ever really stopped a Kesler, Marchant, or Perry from taking liberties? Would Reaves in the lineup have prevented the play where Ovechkin and Orpik gave Crosby that headshot?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:26 PM   #93
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marchand... I had to
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:15 PM   #94
Jebus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
We had Alex Singleton on our podcast last night and he talked about the unfortunate horse ride that Johnny took during the Stampede parade that involved falling off of the horse into something unpleasant.
Like the back seat of a Volkswagen?
Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jebus For This Useful Post: