Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-24-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon23 'Canes Draft Day Flashbacks

The Carolina Hurricanes pull out the time capsule and have some fun at their own expense as they expose their astute draft skills. Following is the Hurricanes 1st Round post following each CPHL Draft since 2005

YEAH-BABY!!

Yeah, baby, to borrow a Peter Maher favourite was the words echoing out of the Oliers war room yesterday as CPHL Commissioner KevanGuy called the Carolina Hurricanes to the podium for the 6th overall pick in the 2005-06 Entry Draft.

Yeah, baby.

Word started leaking out Saturday night that the Hurricanes may have made a deal that would move them up in the draft for a chance to land their highly sought after franchise player. "We knew we came to an agreement to move up into Winnipeg's 6th spot, but even then we were fearful that we didn't get high enough" said the excited GM Hanna Sniper "those five picks seem to take a lifetime".

13,531 fans had assembled into RBC Center to listen to the draft be broadcasted over the arena's sound system. The Carolina Hurricanes had announced the night before that they would be opening their doors and welcoming fans to listen to the historic draft. "We were pretty much surprised when Hanna announced that they were opening the doors, we knew something big was in the works and didn't want to miss it" said one 'Canes fan as for some unknown reason there was a buzz of excitement rumbling throughout the arena till finally it exploded. After the Quebec Nordiques selected Defenceman Jack Johnson with the 4th overall pick Commissioner Flambers announced that a trade had been made between the Winnipeg Jets and the Carolina Hurricanes, and with that the roof was ripped off of RBC Center as fans now new the jig, their GM had indeed delivered. As KevanGuy called the Hurricanes to the podium to make their pick, GM Hanna couldn't sprint to the mic any quicker. Upon arriving to the stage with both fist pumping with adrenalin and to Panthers GM mjk123 confusion KevanGuy stepped up to the mike again... uhm I mean Panthers have the next pick, sorry. "With the excitement we didn't even realize that they made a mistake and skipped the 5th pick, it was a long walk back to our table, to be that close and now the Panthers may pick our guy". As mjk123 stepped up to the microphone you could hear a pin drop in RBC Center as the sound was dead silent. Then those wonderful wards as mjk123 spoke into the mic"Bobby Ryan".
"I didn't think I could get to the podium any quicker then I did the first time but I'm sure I shaved a few seconds off my time" kidded Hanna" "mjk123 hadn't even left the stage yet and I was already brushing past him". RBC Center had began the chant Gullaume, Gullaume, Gullaume.

"With the 6th pick of the 2005-06 Daft the Carolina Hurricanes proudly select from the Drummondville Voltigeurs, Right Winger Guillaume Latendresse."

Yeah, baby.

"I had a great interview with GM Hanna before the draft and I knew they were interested in me but I didn't think there was a chance I would be able last long enough for the Hurricanes to pick me" commented Latendresse "but when arriving to the draft this morning I had passed Hanna and he seemed to give a quick smirk as he slowly nodded to me, I knew the 'Canes were making waves. When it was announced over the speakers that the Hurricanes has just acquired the 6th overall pick I was pretty excited, I'm on cloud nine, this is great".

"We've had a pretty frustrating off-season, it seems what can go wrong just does, but this is unbelievable. It's not often when you can walk away from the draft and believe that you just picked the best player. This team has been without an identy since we traded the Nathan "Franchise" Horton away during the season and now that we now have Guillaume in our ranks it's just unbelievable. I can't even remember the rest of the draft, once we picked Guillaume we just couldn't contain our excitement. We felted bad really, because we kept out calling of names that had already been picked and I'm sure the league was getting tired of it but we had Guillaume sitting right their at our table and man we just couldn't follow from our excitement. This is easily the best day in Carolina Hurricanes history, there's really nothing I can say except YEAH-BABY!!
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 07:25 PM   #2
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

UNSUTTERLIKE?

Height: 184cm/6'0" Weight: 78kg/171.6 lb
Position: Defenseman Shoots: Left
Born: 1988-08-18 Birthplace: 1988-08-18
Assets: Skating ability, hard shot Weakness: Human

Darryl Sutter and the Carolina Hurricanes selected the offensive gifted defenceman Ivan Vishnevsky from the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies of the QMJHL with their 1st and only selection in the 2006 CPHL Entry Draft. The section of Vishnevsky brings in a different regime as the Hurricanes continue to revamp the 'Canes to there newly appointed Coach Darryl Sutter demands. Much in the same light that seen the 'Canes bring in defensive bookends of Mike Rathje and Hal Gill and the possible signing of young sensation Danny Richmond the Hurricanes look to once again boost their defence with the purest offensive Defenseman in the Draft.

Vishnevsky had 13G 35A 48PTS in only 54 games as a rookie for the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies of the QMJHL this season. After a gruelling two-month ordeal to gain a release from Lada Togliatti, Vishnevsky immediately energized the Huskies on both the breakout and the power play with his tremendous skating and passing abilities, and he instantly showed the potential to become one of the top offensive, finesse defensemen in this year's draft.

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 06-24-2017 at 07:50 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #3
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

BLOODLINES

Thanks to Kris and Grant for the great job of running this years draft, it's tough enough to draft for ones self that I couldn't imagine running the draft also great job.

I may have picked my selections a lot sooner then I should but in the end I thought it was best to make sure I had the players I really wanted

#4 Overall - C Sam Gagner, London Knights (OHL)

Gagner helps replenish a big hole in the Hurricanes organization, his playmaking abilities and pure hockey sense just couldn't be passed over in the draft. For the Hurricanes it was a tough decision Kane - Gagner or Gagner - Kane. Lucky enough, Gagner fell in the draft enough that the Hurricanes quickly changed from the player they had targeted and gladly welcomed the Oakville native. One of the reasons we had him so highly regarded with Kane and we feel is a little overlooked is that Gagner is 9 months younger then his fellow teammate. In the end it was also nice to be able to add a son of a former Flame within the organization.

#9 Overall - C Angelo Esposito, Quebec (QMJHL)

High risk, high reward or is it a risk?. Esposito brings great skating and solid scoring ability. Although his stock has dropped of from expectation I wonder if it's a case of a player being blamed for scouts putting to high of expectations on him. Once again like with the Gagner pick the 'Canes were forced to abandon their slotted selection for a player that they just didn"t think would be around still.

#29 Overall - C Center Maxime Tanguay, Rimouski (QMJHL)

Learning a lesson from previous drafts (Guillaume Latendresse), if you like a player then draft him regardless where you think he'll fall. Like with Gagner and Esposito Tanguay brings a high level of skill. With only Brad Boyes on the big team and Derick Brassard maturing in the system the Hurricanes were looking to address a big time need. I was looking to draft Maxime deeper in the draft through a trade but once the players I had slotted for 29th and 34th were selected it was just a case of either taking some risk and having a free couple picks to progress some players or just go ahead and bump our next two picks up regardless of placement In the end I just thought it wasn't worth risking leaving the another Flame bloodline hanging in the draft.

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 06-24-2017 at 07:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 07:35 PM   #4
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

SMALLNSTAAL

Thanks to Grant for the great job of running this years draft, it's tough enough to draft for ones self that I couldn't imagine running the draft also cheers.

#10 Overall - Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL)
North American Skater. Final Ranking: 8

2007-08: anaged 31 goals, 60 assists, and a plus-19 ranking last season while finishing third overall in the WHL regular season scoring race. Boychuk toiled for the Lethbridge Hurricanes and was a key contributor to the success that landed the club in the WHL Championship series against the eventual Memorial Cup champion Spokane Chiefs. To the organization's credit, he has not been held back from putting his offensive skills on display. He was a member of Team Canada at the WJC..

#20 Overall - Sudbury Wolves (OHL)
North American Skater. Final Ranking: 43

The youngest Staal has the bloodlines - brothers Jordan, Marc, and Eric are already certified NHLers. Like his brothers, Jared also has size in spades - three of the four are 6'3 (Jordan’s listed at 6'5) and Jared’s a still-growing 198 pounds. He's got plenty of space on his frame to become an imposing force in the offensive zone.

This season, after a quiet rookie year last year, Jared took on more of an offensive role with a young Wolves club and became a solid contributor. In 60 games, Jared scored 21 goals and added 28 assists.

Unlike his brothers, Jared is not expected to be taken in the first round, although a late appearance or an early second-round selection would surprise no one. The knock on Jared is his skating, but the rest of his game - plus the intangibles that run deep in the Staal family tree - will make the youngest Staal brother an attractive asset at this year's draft..

#33 Overall - Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)
North American Skater. Final Ranking: 31

2007-08: Ennis scored 43 goals and 48 assists in 70 games, while posting a plus-11 ranking. The Medicine Hat Tigers simply continue to develop NHL prospects. The diminutive Ennis has skated on one of the top lines in the WHL with Brennan Bosch and Daine Todd. A durable forward, Ennis looks to be a lock to become a 300-game man in the WHL. Ennis was twice been named the WHL's Player of the Week this season.

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 06-24-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:42 PM   #5
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hurricanes Lay The Hammer Down
Evaluating is always a misleading affair, if you nap the star then your delivered your team a great draft… But in the CPHL that isn’t always true. What often goes unmentioned or unnoticed is the quality of picks compared to the quantity of picks. The CPHL Edmonton Oilers were build off the great draft of a previous GM, but lets be honest, it’s pretty easy to shoot a fish in a barrel if you’re using a AK 47 and in the CPHL it’s not uncommon to see a team stocked with 4 of the top ten picks or 8 of the top 50.

The Carolina Hurricanes walked into the 2009 CPHL draft holding one shot in the 70 picks to make his mark and land that fish. Unfortunately the ‘Canes had his sights set on one player and that was a local boy standout from his hometown Ryan Ellis… it was all or nothing. Much like the ‘Canes did when they drafted Guillaume Latendresse the ‘Canes GM leading up to the draft looked to move up in the top ten to secure Ellis’s rights. When that avenue closed the Hurricanes GM’s then started to set up an backdoor and trade down in the draft once Ellis was drafted by another team before the Hurricanes 16th selection.

After the Hurricanes called the local hero to their camp, the war room cooled down as the Hurricanes weren’t scheduled to make another pick till 63 selections. With so much that can happen e CPHL the ‘Canes brass targeted to acquire a goaltending prospect as well as Slovak Andrej Stastny so it was just a matter of sitting back and trying to read the wave for a spot to go for them.

At the end of the draft the Hurricanes had four names that they thought that they had a chance of selecting and came out with both Ellis and Stastny. Goaltending Darcy Kuemper turned out to be more of a risk/project that the organization was looking for but at the end of the day he was are No.3 rated goaltender and the 3 years in the ECHL will do him good.

Beck and Wilson ended up just being GM selections to bring in character that and gives the Hurricanes a pool of prospects that adds size and ability to bring the puck to the net that the GM likes so much.

“The common refrain heard throughout the league is that if Ellis was just three inches taller, he'd be a sure-fire top-five selection. Unfortunately, in many ways, the NHL is a big man's league and Ellis' dynamic power-play quarterbacking abilities and offensive production may be overshadowed by his lack of height. Ellis has an outstanding shot from the point and is consistently able to jump-start the offense with a well-timed pass or breakout through the defensive zone. He has also worked on his defensive abilities (leading the team at plus-52) and has drawn praise for his effort and leadership.” :Hockey Future
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hurricanes Put On A Mean Face
Evaluating is always a misleading affair, if you nap the star then your delivered your team a great draft… But in the CPHL that isn’t always true. What often goes unmentioned or unnoticed is the quality of picks compared to the quantity of picks. The CPHL Edmonton Oilers were build off the great draft of a previous GM, but lets be honest, it’s pretty easy to shoot a fish in a barrel if you’re using a AK 47 and in the CPHL it’s not uncommon to see a team stocked with 4 of the top ten picks or 8 of the top 50.

The Carolina Hurricanes walked into the 2010 CPHL draft holding two shots to make his mark and land that fish. Unfortunately the ‘Canes had his sights set on two players that won't light up the league and in truth won't be great fantasy picks. But the Hurricanes this year drafted by strength and not need while putting aside the notion and excitement of trying to land the big WOW player. With Regehr, Komisarek, Whitney, Barcker, Sarich and Greene in the CPHL and with Alzner, Ellis, Sanguinetti on the way up through the ranks... The Hurricanes went out and added Dylan McIlrath and Jarred Tinorti to round out the lot to ensure that the Hurricanes will be stocked at blueline for a long time.

After the Hurricanes secured their two punishing defenders, the war room hot excited again when with their 45th overall pick came that Jared Knight from the London Knights was still on the board... a player I didn't think we had a shot at and feared might slip into the first round. After that the only thing remaining for the draft was how high of a pick was the organization going to use to draft Brody Sutter and become the 3rd Sutter to be drafted by the 'Canes (Brett and Shawn)

At 6’4 and 210 pounds, he has the frame to be a menacing figure at the NHL level. His mobility and footwork are impressive, considering his size. At times he can lose his man, but not without trying to take his head off. He flat out intimidates with his style of play and is always trying to assert himself physically. McIlrath can contain forwards in all areas of the ice, especially down low. McIlrath needs to work on his puck skills as he handles it like a grenade. He fails to find his options and relies primarily on the ‘glass and out’ approach. He does, however, have a great slap shot. McIlrath is a work in progress but oozes character and fulfills a role many NHL teams will covet.

Tinordi is a great complementary defense partner for a smaller, offensive-minded defender. He can stay with plays, make good outlet passes and bodyguard when necessary

Did not draft in the 1st round, sold my picks off because I couldn't see well enough to keep up and I didn't want to slow it down
Old 06-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #7
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

ROLEPLAYING

Overview:
The 2012 Draft was one, in the days leading up to, a draft that I was wishing I could opted out off. What was available was just simply not what I was interested in. Much like everyone else in the hockey world, we as GM’s, are enticed by the fantasy of landing that franchise player that will put your team over the top for many years. To simply put it, I don’t see any player close to that in this draft. So why stay in, why not dump my picks and see what I can recoup in assets? Simple… the draft is too much fun to not take part in it. It’s a time that we as Gm’s in this league get the chance to put our neck out and make prediction before the NHL brass shows their hands. Who as fans can resist that.

I think the “New NHL” has come and gone, the game has changed once again… well maybe changed is the wrong word, maybe it’s better to say the illusion of the new NHL is over. I really wanted my selections to reflect that, skill has many tangibles…. In the draft this year I chose to target those tangibles. Less emphasis on how impressive you can be in a skills competition and more what they player brings to his team. I was looking for players that the coach would lean on in a close games. The type of player that would find a way to rise to the NHL ranks because he was able to find himself on the ice more often when that game mattered.

2 - Mikhail Grigorenko
Position: Center Shoots: Left
Height: 6' 3" Weight: 200
Born: May 16, 1994
Born in: Khabarovsk, RUS

Grigorenko has always been the main target of the Hurricanes ever since it was apparent that the No.2 overall selections would belong to the ‘Canes. Too much of his hope is surround by his possibility of being a flight risk. It breaks down to me rather simple… if he can play then he will play, if he can’t cut it then he wont. So the question came down to me as if I think he can play… and for that I have no doubt. The only player I thought has as much interest to me was Teuvo Teravainen. In the future when we look back at the success or failure of the 2012 Draft I honestly feel the opinion will solely rest on the success of Grigorenko.

9 - Griffin Reinhart
Position: Defenseman Shoots: Left

Height: 6' 4" Weight: 207
Born: January 24, 1994
Born in: North Vancouver, BC, CAN

I never expected to draft Reinhart in the draft but I simply didn’t expect him to fall so low. So pretty much like Goffie with drafting Ryan Murray, I had to step outside of my order and pick a player that I thought had a easy route to the NHL. A no brainer at 9th quite honestly. Reinhart will grow in the shadow of Karl Alzner for the ‘Canes and really help as I continue to rebuild the current core.

11 - Brendan Gaunce
Position: Center Shoots: Left
Height: 6' 2" Weight: 215
Born: March 25, 1994 Hometown: Markham, ON

Brendan Gaunce was a player that I knew would be a Hurricanes by the end of the draft, it was just a matter of how early was I going to waste a pick on him. I see Brendan as a deadly 3rd line center, the type of player that a team could build a winning team around…. Not a franchise player but rather a winning player. I like him a lot, I just wish I would have picked him in the 27th spot but I was too afaid to move down from the 11th. The Defencemen weren’t flying off the shelf like I would have hoped and thus I pressured myself out of fear of loosing him

27- Colton Sissons

Position: Center Shoots: Right
Height: 6' 1" Weight: 189
Born: November 5, 1993
Born in: North Vancouver, BC, CAN

Much in the same light, I was attracted to the possibility of landing that 3rd line checking role again but this time with Colton Sissons he has everything you would want in a player, leadership, hardworking, tenacity… well ok maybe a scoring touch would have been nice.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:45 PM   #8
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

2013 Draft Review

1ST ROUND: Right off the bat, the Hurricanes were put to the test as John Tavares and the 10th overall selection were almost departed... Heading into the 2013 Draft, Shinkaruk was the last person the ‘Canes were hoping fell to them at the 10th overall selection… actually the 2nd last, as we wanted Domi even less. Not too happy about this selection overall and pretty much took me out of the draft till the late rounds. In the end I went with the theory that if I think it’s a bad pick then it must be the right pick. When that logic becomes your guiding force one has to wonder

Picks

2014 Draft Review

DRAFTING: Every year it seems the ‘Canes take a different approach to the draft, this season was no different. With the success of the last couple years it really makes no sense to change but the difference this year is that the ‘Canes weren’t willing to sacrifice lineup to raise in the draft… so this draft was pretty much a old school draft. I didn’t approach this as a fantasy league and thus looking for solid fantasy assets, I tred to fill a hole… a hole created from previous projects that didn’t pan out that appear to exiting the ‘Canes. Guys like defender Bobby Sanguinetti who played through his ECHl contract and then his AHL deal. Guy’s I expect to be the filler in my prospect pool for a long time. Ya I know not the approach many will take, but when draft this low I’m not one for taking home run swings

1ST ROUND: The Hurricanes sat of the sidelines for the first round of the draft due to a failed attempt to make the playoffs. The eventually 16th overall pick was moved to the Columbus Blue Jackets for C Brooks Laich. It’s a deal now that’s tough to make with out getting the playoff kick like we were hoping, but hey I had to try. I was looking to move out of the 1st round and really needed a player to play 2nd line duties, now I’m left with a huge 6M contract wondering what to do
Old 06-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #9
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

'Canes Draft A Little Ruff

The word in the hockey world was that the 2015 CPHL Draft was a deep. Just the type of draft the Carolina Hurricanes needed, a struggling franchise that just can’t seem to find it’s way out of the CPHL basement. Having sold a huge part of their future before the season started in a fialed attempt to ensure the Hurricanes fans would see playoff hockey in spring the ‘Canes found themselves drafting 7th overall… far from the playoff birth they hped for

Not so bad, this is a deep draft right? If you are going to suck this is the year to do it they say. Well not in Carolina, the Hurricanes continued to trade off picks in hopes to better the organization in the long run… even till the last minute the Canes were desperately shopping their 7th overall in hopes to find that piece to the puzzled the franchise needed. At the expense of the Draft the Hurricanes fought and bettered their team to put themselves to be a contender for the post season in 2016.But with the sudden collapse of their Defensive core, Ladislav Smid and Jay Harrison regression to non NHL players and the future retirement of Robyn Regehr, added to that the uncertainty of the GRID’s The Hurricanes were now facing the reality that if they would have packed it in last season and rode it out ,rather then improving their team, they would be in a much better position and be drafting in one of the top 2 spots and a better team as well depth wise

The Draft broke down into 3 separate plans

A – 7th Overall
The Hurricanes were not able to move the pick for many different reason. Our value was too high in some, GRID’s in other and flat out differences in player evaluations.. at the end of the day, Smid and Harrison 5M cap were trying up too much wiggle room and the ‘Canes chose to hold the pick

With the 7th pick the Carolina Hurricanes select C, Mathew Barzal

“Strong with the puck and exudes a great confidence when he has it. He’s quick but never hurried in his approach and because of his patience and poise he can break down defences and create grade ‘A’ scoring chances. With an improved willingness to shoot, he becomes that much more dangerous.” TSN

2016 Draft Review

The Carolina Hurricanes started the 2016 draft by trading away veteran defender Denis Wiideman to the New York Rangers a 2nd Round Pick (Wade Allison). The move Free's up 5M in cap space and allows the Hurricanes some wiggle room with the accountancy of the upcoming GRIDS. Wideman was slotted to be in the 3rd paring and the 'Canes just weren't interested in allotting that amount of cap space for that roles.

RD 1 PK 15 LW Keiffer Bellows
NHL RD 1 PK 19 New York Islanders

The Hurricanes were looking to select either Bellows or 6th overall selection Clayton Keller. With Keller quickly eliminated by the penguins the 'Canes were hoping for Bellows name not be called. As Jakob Chychrun began to drop in the draft the Canes started getting worried that the rearguard would be available by the 15th pick. The Canes scouting staff have been ripping apart the defenseman all year and ironically it was looking like they were going to end up drafting him. Thankfully he was picked 3 selections before and Bellows once again became the number one target. Canes got lucky here and very happy about the section

2017 - No 1st Round Pick
Old 06-24-2017, 07:51 PM   #10
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Done, A look back at 12 years of drafting for the Carolina Hurricanes in the first round only
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 07:59 PM   #11
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Awesome read! Great job!
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #12
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazing!