Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #441
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just starting Hawkins' A Brief History of Time. Have never read it.

Recently watched The Theory of Everything and a documentary on Einstein so kinda have the theoretical physics bug going right now.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #442
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank You for Being Late, which is Thomas Friedman's most recent book, is well worth it. It's kind of a catch-up for anyone who has had their head stuck in the sand and will seem slow to anyone who really follows tech, but it gets into some legit good insights in the second and third thirds of the book.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:35 PM   #443
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am halfway through A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. Excellent book that deals with and ties together multiple topics.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:45 PM   #444
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oh cool, was looking for a literature thread of some sort.

Wanted to really get back into recreational reading. It's great for the mind, and I miss the feeling of being immersed in a good book, to the point where you don't want to put it down.

I've never watched GoT, but I was thinking about getting into the book series. Was going to pick-up A Song of Ice and Fire when I had the chance.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:00 AM   #445
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
I am halfway through A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. Excellent book that deals with and ties together multiple topics.
Everything written by Bryson is excellent but that is one of his best. I also really like "At Home".
Old 06-12-2017, 05:23 AM   #446
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Everything written by Bryson is excellent but that is one of his best. I also really like "At Home".
Thanks. Will add that to the list!
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #447
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump

Finally reading "A Time Of Gifts" by Patrick Leigh Fermor

Found it in a used book store this summer (I am sometimes cheap) and just got around to reading it.

What a book! It is the story of his travel from Holland to Constantinople in 1933 when he was just 18. This book takes him down the Rhine, and then along the Danube to Budapest. So eloquent, erudite, and interesting.

Travel book? Yes. But if you are interested in the history of western and central Europe, this book is for you. Architecture, art, funny adventures. But mostly it is his intelligence that shows through so clearly.

I have spent many months travelling by foot like him, but also by bus train car and motorbike along the Rhine and Danube so maybe that is another reason the book resonates with me. Some of my favourite, happiest, wildest, most cherished memories occurred a stone's throw from these two rivers.

The author had quite an astonishing time in the second world war in Crete. He kidnapped a German general. I was first introduced to him when reading "The Way Of Herodotus" by Justin Marozzi. In that book the author made a pilgrimage almost, to the home of Fermor in Mani, Greece.

Oddly, recently, I watched a food program on BBC, the host ate his way from Venice to Istanbul I think. Great show. That show travelled to the home of Fermor also.

Anyway, highly recommend. And now I must find the second book.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:50 AM   #448
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ cheapness has nothing to do with it - used books have character.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #449
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
Bump

Finally reading "A Time Of Gifts" by Patrick Leigh Fermor
Great book. Fermor was quite a character. Not only a tireless hiker, but he seems to have had remarkable personal charm - a valuable trait when you're often relying on the kindness of strangers for food and shelter.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #450
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just finished Tune In by Mark Lewisohn, the first of a planned trilogy recounting the story of the Beatles in an obsessively thorough fashion. It's quite literally a day-by-day account of the lives of the four Beatles, and the early years of their partnership. 944 pages, and it takes us only to the recording of their first hit single, Please Please Me, in 1962!

Now I'm on to Hugo award winning (1982) Downbelow Station by C.J. Cherryh. Intrigue and political manoeuvring in a strategic space station. Cherryh is a late discovery for me, but a very pleasant one. Her writing and characterization are among the best in the field. Not exactly a page-turner, but pretty intense and plausible SF.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #451
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I was fortunate over the weekend and found a copy of “The Sister Brothers” at the library. Couple of pages in so far and it is a pleasurable read.

Also recently finished “Kitchen Confidential”. Good book, especially enjoyed the “What do you know about me?” story. I actually chuckled at that, as with books you can see how things end a bit in advance and don’t get genuinely surprised much.

Going to try to find some classic sci-fi later on.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #452
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Picked up today:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:13 PM   #453
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished a copy of Ken Reid's Dennis Maruk biography. Decent hockey book. Reading Gratoony the Loony about crazy old goalie Gilles Gratton. Terrific read on the nutty guy who had the coolest goalie mask of all time.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #454
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think I was fortunate over the weekend and found a copy of “The Sister Brothers” at the library. Couple of pages in so far and it is a pleasurable read.
I read that one a few years back and it's pretty good. It does pretty well in defying the standard western tropes.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:16 AM   #455
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Read the 3rd book in The Broken Earth series, great fantasy series!

And book 3 in The Stormlight Archive is coming out this month!!
Old 10-26-2017, 05:39 PM   #456
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been going hard on Jack Reacher novels lately. I've read four of them in the last month. They are exactly what I need right - escapes into a different world. Quick reads, but I love them.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:57 PM   #457
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #458
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m reading Blitzed by Nicholas Ohler.... it’s very interesting, I’m just hammering through it.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:24 AM   #459
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally got around to reading Ready Player One. It was an engaging read and I enjoyed the world building and pop culture references. I had an issue with the lack of tension though. Wade was pretty much an internet superman who knew everything and whenever it started to look like he was in a bit of trouble he always had the solution or an ex machina would come along. I still enjoyed this and am looking forward to the movie but I just don't get all the hype.

One book I did really like was All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders. This was a weird one that combines science fiction and fantasy while having a first half coming of age story followed by a second half that is very mature, dark, and dystopian. The genres are blended seamlessly and I could not put this one down.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:25 AM   #460
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Verdict? I absolutely loved Pillars of the Earth but World Without End was just average.