Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #121
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
All goalies have those kind of saves though. It is not really a skill save, it is a desperation hope the puck hits me save. Even MacDonald said he was just hoping the puck hit him. For the amount of soft goals he allows a couple highlight reel pure luck saves is not going to change my mind. There is no upside to MacDonald, he is a journeyman goalie.
Who cares? He redeemed himself with that save.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #122
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
if not for the 2 bonehead turnovers the Flames likely win that game 3-1. Joey Mac had a good game not sure why everyone is so upset
I know kipper had a bad year last year but a lot of us are still used to the days when our goalie would come up with that big save to make up for those mental mistakes. The flames don't really have that with macdonald in net.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #123
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default 4-2 Flames

Just about to leave for the game, really excited for this one.

Expect the Flames to come out quickly and pot a couple in the first period. Canadiens make a game of it and come back to make it 3-2 until the Flames seal the deal with an empty-netter.

Flames goal scorers:

Glencross x 1 (en)
Backlund x 2
Monahan x 1

Habs goal scorers:

Bourque x 1
Galchenyuk x 1
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #124
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Flames with the win tonight.

5-3.

Backlund gets 2, both TJs score, and hudler.

Go flames!! Excited to be at the dome tonight.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #125
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baertschi gets one tonight.

They will have to pass to him on a 2 on 1 eventually.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #126
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Who cares if he lets in numerous softies all year long if he makes a highlite reel save or 2 along the course of the year as well? Really?
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #127
megatron
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames win 3-2.

Sven, Bouma, Hudler.

Go Flames Go!
Old 10-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #128
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Who cares if he lets in numerous softies all year long if he makes a highlite reel save or 2 along the course of the year as well? Really?
Old 10-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #129
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, he really didn't. Wow, he made a great lucky save after letting in a couple softies and we lost the game. You need a goalie who can make consistant saves, not a guy who makes a hail mary but lets in soft goals all the time and cannot control rebounds to save his own job.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #130
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, he really didn't. Wow, he made a great lucky save after letting in a couple softies and we lost the game. You need a goalie who can make consistant saves, not a guy who makes a hail mary but lets in soft goals all the time and cannot control rebounds to save his own job.
You're right, he's a terrible goalie and should have known better than to let that one in.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #131
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're right, he's a terrible goalie and should have known better than to let that one in.
Muta, there is a reason why the guy has never stuck anywhere. He is not a starting calibre goalie. He got outplayed by every single other Flames goalie in camp and I think he is getting more chances than under many other coaches because Hartley likes the vets. He does not control rebounds well and he is prone to letting in soft goals most nights. Some nights he is on but this is a guy who even Feaster ripped because he had a golden chance to come to camp this year and prove he could be an aswer to our goaltending and instead he dropped the ball. MacDonald is a capable backup, that is it. I'm not sure how you are arguing otherwise, is he a relative of yours?
Old 10-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #132
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary is 6-0-1 in the last 7 meetings with Montreal.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #133
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

With goalies, it is not about the saves you make it is all about the saves you don't make. Getting lucky does not make up for crappy consistency. I really have no issue with the way MacDonald is playing but we already know what we have in him. Put Ramo in there and let's find out what there.

Hopefully heading home now to catch the game...
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #134
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of the reaction around here to the goalie situation is making it seem like Hartley is choosing to play Joey Mac over a Carey Price touted prospect. Hartley is choosing to play Mac right now over a late 20's goalie who to this point in his career had to play outside the NHL because he wasn't good enough to earn a regular start in the NHL either.

I agree Ramo has a much greater ceiling than Mac, I think we know what we have in the guy, but this is hardly and example of Hartley favouring vets over young players. It's and example of a very complicated and less than ideal goalie situation we have in Calgary and likely will have for the next couple of years that the team is going to slowly feel their way through to do what's best for the team long term.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #135
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Muta, there is a reason why the guy has never stuck anywhere. He is not a starting calibre goalie. He got outplayed by every single other Flames goalie in camp and I think he is getting more chances than under many other coaches because Hartley likes the vets. He does not control rebounds well and he is prone to letting in soft goals most nights. Some nights he is on but this is a guy who even Feaster ripped because he had a golden chance to come to camp this year and prove he could be an aswer to our goaltending and instead he dropped the ball. MacDonald is a capable backup, that is it. I'm not sure how you are arguing otherwise, is he a relative of yours?
I have to support someone only when they're a relative now? Bizarre logic. I like Joey Mac, I think he has the tools to be a consistent starter. He just hasn't done that yet, and his journeyman status is telling of that. Age isn't on his side, but I see speed and reflexes in him, as well as good lateral movement to suggest that all he needs is the 'toolbox' to accommodate his 'tools'. Whether he gets that in time to salvage his potential to start more remains to be seen.

I'm not a fan of Ramo to date - he's awkward and made dumb mistakes in the Washington game. I have every right to cheer for MacDonald if I want to.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #136
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have every right to cheer for MacDonald if I want to.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #137
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have to support someone only when they're a relative now? Bizarre logic. I like Joey Mac, I think he has the tools to be a consistent starter. He just hasn't done that yet, and his journeyman status is telling of that. Age isn't on his side, but I see speed and reflexes in him, as well as good lateral movement to suggest that all he needs is the 'toolbox' to accommodate his 'tools'. Whether he gets that in time to salvage his potential to start more remains to be seen.

I'm not a fan of Ramo to date - he's awkward and made dumb mistakes in the Washington game. I have every right to cheer for MacDonald if I want to.
Ramo was much better in the Washington game than MacDonald has been in any of his starts but you believe what you want. We will agree to disagree on MacDonald.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #138
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

On my way to watch the game in a house full of Habs fans with my Flames jersey on.

I'm only bringing one beer with me, so Joey McDonald do a fellow Nova Scotian proud and don't suck!!!!!!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #139
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Moot!
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #140
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hartley says that the goalie decision is based on a "gut feeling". Fair enough, but no more bs about going with the winning goalie either, please.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:

Tags
gtd , keepgettingpoints , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin