Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Mobile Hotspots (3G/LTE)

I am looking for a mobile hotspot of some kind that will allow the staff here at work to stay connected while traveling, which we do frequently. Hotel wifi is hit and miss, and we currently use a Rogers 3G "Rocket" stick thingy. It works OK in most venues, but in one important place in particular it simply can't get a good enough signal. And that hotel's wifi blocks VPN connections, which is a deal breaker for us.

So I have been thinking about getting a portable mobile hotspot. The "big 3" here in Canada offer these, but they come locked to the network even if you buy it outright. I'd like it to be unlocked so it can be used on different carriers, and even in the US and Europe. Obviously there are band/frequency considerations with this too.

Roam Mobility (the company that provides cheaper roaming to the US for Canadians) offers a hotspot for sale, but ironically, it comes locked to the Roam network. http://www.roammobility.com/liberty-hotspot

Can anyone recommend to me a mobile hotspot that :
- Is unlocked
- Has the proper bands to be used in Canada, the US, and possibly even Europe

Is this a pipe dream?

Also, once I have the hotspot, I'll need to find a good data-only mobile plan. Rogers/Fido is out as they've got a dead zone where we most need service (verified with a phone also on the same network, and compared with a Telus phone that had a strong signal). Any recommendations for a good data-only plan?
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I seem to recall the ones Wind sells are possibly unlocked. If not; they certainly work with a T-Mobile SIM in the States.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I seem to recall the ones Wind sells are possibly unlocked. If not; they certainly work with a T-Mobile SIM in the States.
Thanks Ken! Apparently the Wind ones are locked now, but they can provide an official unlock for $30 after 90 days of activation. That effectively brings the price up to $130, which is pretty reasonable, and could then be presumably used on a network with better coverage and/or abroad. As far as I can tell, this would work pretty much anywhere.

An unofficial unlock online is likely cheaper, of course.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote