Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2022, 06:21 PM   #1001
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
Mmmm that is a good idea, think I have some GF-Pedaha in the freezer.
Well done. I bought Ukrainian sausage and Ukrainian perogies last night, been munching on sunflower seeds today. And I dumped the remaining Smirnoff in my fridge down the ####### sink
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2022, 06:25 PM   #1002
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Well done. I bought Ukrainian sausage and Ukrainian perogies last night, been munching on sunflower seeds today. And I dumped the remaining Smirnoff in my fridge down the ####### sink
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but Smirnoff is owned by an English company (and is made in a bunch of countries, none of which is Russia).
Old 02-25-2022, 06:26 PM   #1003
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but Smirnoff is owned by an English company (and is made in a bunch of countries, none of which is Russia).
Well damn...its the thought that counts haha
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2022, 06:34 PM   #1004
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not only that but isn't Smirnoff super left-wing? i would expect them to be quite anti- Putin.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:35 PM   #1005
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Eye roll

Name one former Prime Minster you think would do that….
Trudeau was bunkered up with a truck convoy!

You think he would ever carry a weapon to defend our country? Never!

To be fair I dont see a politcian in Canada that would.

Not an argument at all.

They would all cave.

So I agree with you. I am sad to say that but you are right.
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:36 PM   #1006
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any chance we import any specific products direct from Ukraine?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:38 PM   #1007
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Not only that but isn't Smirnoff super left-wing? i would expect them to be quite anti- Putin.

It was founded in Russia. And most people associate it with Russia.

It was a symbolic gesture by the poster.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 06:38 PM   #1008
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Eye roll

Name one former Prime Minster you think would do that….
Every one, up to and including Cretien would have reacted with courage and resolve.

Whatever you think about Trudeau (good or bad), courage isn't the firs thing that comes to mind
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2022, 06:41 PM   #1009
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

This should stop the Russians.

https://twitter.com/root_nomad/statu...fCuuaLG0A&s=19
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2022, 06:41 PM   #1010
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just recall a bunch of people calling for a boycott of Smirnoff when Russia introduced a bunch of anti Gay rights legislation and they had to explain that they were basically the official vodka of pride celebrations everywhere... they just keep getting tagged with Putin's ####### moves.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2022, 06:43 PM   #1011
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
On the bright side, it isn't particularly good vodka, so at least it wasn't too tragic a mistake.

On an unrelated note, I've been a fake Russian (born in Canada, maybe 1/4 Russian heritage, but great admirer of Russian literature and culture) on CalgaryPuck for nearly 20 years now, and this is the first time I feel ashamed of my fake Russianness. (I know this war is about Putin and his cronies, and not Russian people and Russian culture, but it's hard not to be emotional about it at the moment.)
Old 02-25-2022, 06:44 PM   #1012
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing that the Tower is lit up in blue and yellow, along with other world landmarks. I know these are strictly symbolic moves, but perhaps some motivated citizens should start projecting blue and yellow lights onto Russian embassies around the world. Wouldn't that be embarrassing to Mother Russia???

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
JMN
Old 02-25-2022, 06:48 PM   #1013
carmenshoes
Backup Goalie

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1497205248682860544
carmenshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carmenshoes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2022, 06:50 PM   #1014
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On the bright side, it isn't particularly good vodka, so at least it wasn't too tragic a mistake.

On an unrelated note, I've been a fake Russian (born in Canada, maybe 1/4 Russian heritage, but great admirer of Russian literature and culture) on CalgaryPuck for nearly 20 years now, and this is the first time I feel ashamed of my fake Russianness. (I know this war is about Putin and his cronies, and not Russian people and Russian culture, but it's hard not to be emotional about it at the moment.)
I could see that, sorry to hear man. I also want to be clear before I go back to just reading this thread and not posting, as it's extremely informative and interesting and doesn't require my ####-posting: I certainly feel no ill will towards your average Russian, in fact I feel bad for them. I just can't bring myself to buy Russian (or Russian sounding) goods is all.

I reached out to an old acquaintance yesterday who is Russian and lives in southern Russia, you could feel the frustration, hopelessness and shame in her words. I feel terrible for them they're led by this brutal dictator, and now has the world hating them like this. I sincerely hope no average Russians or people of Russian descent living abroad are experiencing hate or attacks because of this. I DO NOT see this as a Russian thing, this is a Kremlin thing. I hope people understand that.

And I'll buy more Smirnoff tonight. Ok back to dark mode I go..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2022, 06:51 PM   #1015
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There is lots of Russian culture to be proud of, many brilliant minds, some incredible musicians and athletes, and as far as common folk go, I've really liked the Russian expats I've met in Canada.

Reasonable people aren't looking at Russians with Putin-Tinted glasses
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2022, 07:10 PM   #1016
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Nitro View Post
Just as an aside, and this is not a criticism as naturally people get more concerned when something "hits home", but I hope some understand now just how much the Iraq war affected the people of the region. War is no joke, and look at the images from Ukraine and the bombing in Iraq was 1000x more intense.
Not to derail the thread, but you're 100% correct.

Further to this, I find the Ukrainian insurgency to be extremely heroic, as do the majority of the posters on this board. I will say, however, that when Iraqis were doing the exact same thing back in 2002, they were labelled as terrorists.

White dudes picking up weapons and fighting off an invader = hero.
Arab dudes picking up weapons and fighting off an invader = terrorist.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:14 PM   #1017
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

well that escalated quickly
Old 02-25-2022, 07:28 PM   #1018
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Not to derail the thread, but you're 100% correct.

Further to this, I find the Ukrainian insurgency to be extremely heroic, as do the majority of the posters on this board. I will say, however, that when Iraqis were doing the exact same thing back in 2002, they were labelled as terrorists.

White dudes picking up weapons and fighting off an invader = hero.

Arab dudes picking up weapons and fighting off an invader = terrorist.
Now is not the time.

You need to be aware that outside actors want to perpetuate thoughts like this as a way to divide western nations and people.

Racism is a hot button topic in Western nations and they know it. Topics like what you just discussed are upvoted or pushed on social media as a way to further divide our people.

Left vs right
Left vs white

It's what they want
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:30 PM   #1019
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iraqis defending themselves weren't the terrorists

but yes, this isn't the place
Old 02-25-2022, 07:30 PM   #1020
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubeyr1 View Post
Trudeau was bunkered up with a truck convoy!

You think he would ever carry a weapon to defend our country? Never!

To be fair I dont see a politcian in Canada that would.

Not an argument at all.

They would all cave.

So I agree with you. I am sad to say that but you are right.
Alright, and that was pretty cowardly and dumb, but this is something else entirely.

The Truck Convoy was not a 'Life or Death' scenario. It was always going to be resolved peacefully and they were always going to leave.

That is not the circumstances being presented in Ukraine.

I have huge respect (Yuge? No..) for the Ukrainians arming themselves and defending their homes. I'd like to think I would too, but I sincerely doubt it.

That takes giant balls of pure steel.

This scenario is far beyond what was essentially a peaceful protest. This is Life or Death.

Quote:

I'm of half-Russian, half-German heritage myself and have distant relatives in Russia. Doesn't mean I'm siding with the Russians.

I only have a tenuous grasp of the circumstances going on here but overall this type of response from Russia appears to me to wholly unwarranted.

I really dont give half a crap about centuries old land appropriation claims.

I also have no real affiliation or association with Ukraine, normally I dont really think too much about Ukraine, but seeing these people defend their homes in the face of seemingly insurmountable opposition?

Give 'er guys.

I find that this ethos is something I can get behind. Much like my signature indicates. Sure...Russia may win, but the Ukrainians are going to make them bleed to do it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks