Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #1101
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
You aren't winning the Euros regardless of who is in charge.
not expecting too

I meant more in the sense, I don't want to put up with Capello contradictions and his general disdain for the job that he puts out

he's not good enough at the national level to put up with that
Old 02-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #1102
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
I love so much about what Roy Keane has chosen to be in the last few months

WayneRooney Wayne Rooney
Gutted capello has quit. Good guy and top coach. Got to be english to replace him. Harry redknapp for me.
1 hour ago

SkySportsMobile Sky Sports Mobile
Roy #Keane on #Rooney backing #Redknapp: "Wayne should keep his nose out of it, he didn't do enough on the pitch when #Capello was manager."
Haha, not to mention, Rooney was pretty quick off the mark to get behind someone else.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #1103
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

I don't know how Redknapp can resist the groundswell of support that has already built up for him taking over the manager's reins at the national level. Gary Lineker mentioned that he could probably do both jobs until May then concentrate full time on England.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #1104
NBC

Exp:

I think that there is another element to this Capello-Terry-race row situation. Well not really an element more of a nuance. Unlike other countries in Europe, racism and the term racist is a white hot issue in the UK - it has been for a number of years. Calling someone or labeling them a racist is a massive statement and one that is not taken lightly on either side.

This can most recently be traced back to the establishment and somewhat popularity of the British National Party (BNP) and to a lesser extent the English Defence League. Groups like this have had a very polarizing effect upon the voting (and football viewing) public. Successive governments have been completely unwilling to engage the electorate or anyone for than matter over the issue of EU and non-Eu immigration, which a plurality of British voters see as a significant problem. This just fuels the debate.

Now you have the captain of the national team who is faced not only with accusations of racial abuse towards a fellow professional, but is facing charges in a criminal court. Like it or not but many in England see the position of national team captain as being something bigger than football. It is representative of the nation-state as a whole and to have the captain be formally charged with racial abuse is not a good thing at all. I don't blame the FA for acting in this manner as it is what Capello should have done when this whole sordid affair broke. If AVB wants to keep Terry as Chelsea club captain then that is his right as he (Terry) isn't responsible for being the 'face' of English football, only that of Chelsea Football Club and that is their right. For England it is a much different matter.

Personally I found it odd that Capello would strip Terry of the armband after it was revealed he was shtupping Wayne Bridge's ex, but would not act when something much more serious came to the fore - granted something that has yet to be confirmed or disconfirmed. This whole affair flies in the face of the FA's "Kick it Out" campaign aimed at removing racism from English football, something that more national authorities should be taking more seriously. Capello's position became untenable with his comments on Italian TV, which surprised me, that he was willing to lose his job over John Terry. Regardless if he thinks it is the manager's sole decision to take, Capello was wrong to let Terry retain the armband. And if he (Terry) is found to be innocent then the FA looks like they were being proactive in removing unwanted attention in the months leading up to the Euros. If he is found to be guilty, then, well, you know.

This was a bad situation made worse by Capello's inability to grasp the nuances of British (English) socio-political dynamics and how it can affect the state of football in England. My sense is that an English manager, living and working in the UK would have understood this a lot better than a transplanted Italian, who as diane said, looked like he didn't really like the job. Regardless of Terry's guilt, he should not have been allowed to continue as England captain after he was implicated in a race-row which I have stated is a white hot issue here in the UK, much more so than in Spain, Italy, Portugal, Germany, etc...

What I find interesting about all of this is the timing. Redknapp cleared - Capello resigns. Most likely coincidence, no?

Last edited by NBC; 02-09-2012 at 01:38 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NBC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #1105
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC View Post
Regardless of Terry's guilt, he should not have been allowed to continue as England captain after he was implicated in a race-row which I have stated is a white hot issue here in the UK, much more so than in Spain, Italy, Portugal, Germany, etc...
People can say, often correctly, what they want about the FA but you have to commend them for being one of the only associations that seem to be taking racism as seriously as it should be taken.

In regards to the vacancy, yesterday I thought that it was a dream day for Spurs supporters. I was thinking that the FA would want a long term solution going into the Euros and Harry wouldn't even contemplate leaving WHL before the end of the season. However, I could see him juggling both jobs until the season is over and then moving full time.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Old 02-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #1106
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if he takes it at all it's not until may or he does both jobs in May

no chance he leaves right now Spurs hanging after Levy stood by him and he was pretty emotional in the press conference after the not guilty verdict thanking fans for chanting his name at the wigan game for 90 minutes

and he will get the same thing saturday versus the geordie boys

I think it's 50/50 he leaves at all, he's never going to have a better team then he has right now, and there will be money to spend in the summer with CL and a new stadium (which may possibly be paid fully by grants/funding and sponsorship) on the horizon

the England job is always going to be there after 2014 if he wants it
Old 02-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #1107
NBC

Exp:

Great read by Tom Fordyce - BBC's chief sports writer.

No love lost as Capello takes his leave

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tomfordyc...llo_takes.html
Old 02-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #1108
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope for 'Arrys sake he leaves the poisoned chalice alone, once a Hammer always a Hammer.

I wish, for Englands sake, he went on record saying he wouldn't work for such an incompetant bunch of inept wankers who couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery.

I fear I will be proved wrong on both counts.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #1109
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Doesn't really belong in this thread, but bizarre soccer-related news...

Lightning kills an entire football team
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/li...m-1181336.html
Old 02-11-2012, 03:08 AM   #1110
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if genuine.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #1111
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not trying to upset any of the Liverpool fans here, but it is beyond me how anyone could support an ####### like Suarez. Wow.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #1112
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Suarez is truly both sublimely talented and an arse
Old 02-11-2012, 08:40 AM   #1113
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I haven't seen the game yet because I'm at work, but it sounds like there was more Suarez\Evra Drama. I really miss the days when I could actually just talk about the football after an LFC match.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:00 AM   #1114
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suarez is an absolute p.o.s, there was no need for that and he should have shaken Evra's hand at the start of the game.

I am not sure how people can keep defending him as week after week he makes idiotic decisions. I truly believe that he will be on his way out of Liverpool following the season due to how he acts.

With the way he acted today I have no doubt he made the racist comments and meant to kick Parker last week, he is just a stupid p.o.s.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #1115
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Suarez is an absolute p.o.s, there was no need for that and he should have shaken Evra's hand at the start of the game.

I am not sure how people can keep defending him as week after week he makes idiotic decisions. I truly believe that he will be on his way out of Liverpool following the season due to how he acts.

With the way he acted today I have no doubt he made the racist comments and meant to kick Parker last week, he is just a stupid p.o.s.
What happened?
Old 02-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #1116
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
What happened?
he refused to shake Evra's hand

he's absolute scum, don't care how good he is, Liverpool are a better club than he deserves
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #1117
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ferguson, however, had a different point of view and believes the racism issue is one which needs to be addressed.
"I couldn't believe Suarez refused Evra's handshake," he said. "You saw the referee [Phil Dowd]. He didn't know what to do. It was a terrible start to the game and it created a terrible atmosphere.
"Racism is an important issue and football has come a long way since the days of bananas being thrown at John Barnes."
The United boss believes Evra "kept his dignity" by offering to shake Suarez's hand, but did not condone the Frenchman's post-match celebrations.
"Evra shouldn't have jumped in front of Suarez in celebration at the end," he added. "He shouldn't have done that."
United players Rio Ferdinand and Darren Fletcher were also quick to condemn Suarez's actions, while supporting their team-mate.
"After seeing what happened, I decided not to shake his hand ... I lost all respect for the guy," Ferdinand said.
"It could have been resolved between the two players today. After this, it's not great."
Evra's reaction at the end was out of line, but after the way suarez first racially abused him, and then reacted like that...

this whole playing the victim crap starts and ends with Kenny as well
Old 02-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #1118
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 02-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #1119
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

massive 3 points for Arsenal there won by Henry

tied with Chelsea now for 4th
Old 02-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #1120
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Missed the handshakes but I saw a photo which looked like Suarez had his hand out to shake Evra's hand but Evra kept his hand down:

but the youtube above looks like Suarez purposely brushed past his hand. It's just such childish BS it's not even funny. The whole situation has been a crock of #####.

I suspect that Evra is not as squeaky clean as everybody seems to think but Suarez needs to fking grow up quickly. The way the media will play this up is going to be something to behold. He brought it on himself though.

BTW didn't the FA scrap the handshake when Terry might have had to shake Ferdinand's hand? Surprised that they didn't do the same here (not really)

Past the sideshow United were much better than Liverpool and deserved the win. Dalglish's tactics were poor, really poor. The team selection was mind boggling. Downing has been really bad this season and today might have been his worst game yet. The 2-1 scoreline flattered Liverpool really.

Last edited by Jagger; 02-11-2012 at 10:19 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jagger For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread