Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default What's Taylor made of?

So, Danny Taylor is getting the start tonight against Phoenix, if he plays well, does it spell the end for Leland? Taylor is 26, and has seen 20 minutes of NHL ice time, 5 seasons ago. Since then he has been nothing more than an average back up in the minors. His best years have been with the Heat, and it appears the Flames management really wants to give him a chance.
I am rather shocked that they are giving Taylor the nod tonight, coming off a win, albeit a shaky one for MacDonald, it's not like MacDonald has been over worked, it was just his first start, I'd have liked to see him again tonight, to see if he is better prepared.
The shake up between the posts for the team thus far is puzzling, obviously Kipper is nearing the end of a great career, but with Ramo on the horizon, I don't see the necessity in testing out every minor league option the Flames organization has. Some big moves need to be made to make this team a contender, and cycling through minor league goalies doesn't seem like the best route to go. I say pick an up and comer, and develop him. Give him the time and trust they deserve, shattering confidence in a young goalie is not going to fair well for the future.
Just my two cents.
I really hope Taylor holds his own, and changes my perspective, but I see this going unfavorably for not only the Flames, but the Heat as well. How does Taylor recover in the AHL if he gets lit up in the NHL. pretty tough to go back down knowing you may never see the big show again.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slugs, Snails & Puppy Dog Tails?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

98% water, probably elements of carbon free range oxygen, last nights big mac and a chunk of calcium

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The two other goalie threads haven't covered this topic already?
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
98% water, probably elements of carbon free range oxygen, last nights big mac and a chunk of calcium
Came in to make the 98% water comment, left satisfied.
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Slugs, Snails & Puppy Dog Tails?
I always thought it was snips & snails & puppy dogs tails...

Looks like either I, or my mom, must be really old:

"In the earliest known versions, the first ingredient for boys is either "snips" or "snigs",[7] the latter being a Cumbrian dialect word for a small eel."

Last edited by IamNotKenKing; 02-18-2013 at 01:35 PM.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Sakari
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I find it hilarious how when people come to share thoughts or get opinions on a specific topic people shut them out on this forum. Absolutely ridiculous.
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sakari For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
I find it hilarious how when people come to share thoughts or get opinions on a specific topic people shut them out on this forum. Absolutely ridiculous.
You're absolutely ridiculous.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

just let me read this and I'll let you know....
Old 02-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's some Gene Principe schtick for you:

He's "Taylor'd" to play in goal

Old 02-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think that Taylor's play tonight will be indicative of whether that spells the end of Irving for the Flames. I don't think Taylor will be 'Kipperesque' tonight at all. I hope he is just steady and calm back there (though I am sure he is overly excited). The Flames invested a #1 draft pick on Irving, they invested a lot of development into him over the years, and they definitely want Irving to succeed. If Irving plays well on the Heat for the next week or so, I am sure he will get another shot. It is up to Irving if Irving gets another chance or not.

MacDonald will get another start again - but this is a back-to-back game. Considering at this point the organization looks at all their goalies as backups, and considering that Taylor is a relative unknown in the NHL, might as well throw him out there on a back to back. I think each goalie should have 3-4 games to work out some nervousness and so on. See who the best goalie thus far is.

I just hope one of these goalies end up being a decent backup.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
Sakari
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
You're absolutely ridiculous.
My point exactly.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #13
Sakari
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I don't think that Taylor's play tonight will be indicative of whether that spells the end of Irving for the Flames. I don't think Taylor will be 'Kipperesque' tonight at all. I hope he is just steady and calm back there (though I am sure he is overly excited). The Flames invested a #1 draft pick on Irving, they invested a lot of development into him over the years, and they definitely want Irving to succeed. If Irving plays well on the Heat for the next week or so, I am sure he will get another shot. It is up to Irving if Irving gets another chance or not.

MacDonald will get another start again - but this is a back-to-back game. Considering at this point the organization looks at all their goalies as backups, and considering that Taylor is a relative unknown in the NHL, might as well throw him out there on a back to back. I think each goalie should have 3-4 games to work out some nervousness and so on. See who the best goalie thus far is.

I just hope one of these goalies end up being a decent backup.
3 hrs Roger Millions ‏@RogMillions
Looks like Danny Taylor makes his debut for #Flames tonight in Glendale.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
So, Danny Taylor is getting the start tonight against Phoenix, if he plays well, does it spell the end for Leland? Taylor is 26, and has seen 20 minutes of NHL ice time, 5 seasons ago. Since then he has been nothing more than an average back up in the minors. His best years have been with the Heat, and it appears the Flames management really wants to give him a chance.
I am rather shocked that they are giving Taylor the nod tonight, coming off a win, albeit a shaky one for MacDonald, it's not like MacDonald has been over worked, it was just his first start, I'd have liked to see him again tonight, to see if he is better prepared.
The shake up between the posts for the team thus far is puzzling, obviously Kipper is nearing the end of a great career, but with Ramo on the horizon, I don't see the necessity in testing out every minor league option the Flames organization has. Some big moves need to be made to make this team a contender, and cycling through minor league goalies doesn't seem like the best route to go. I say pick an up and comer, and develop him. Give him the time and trust they deserve, shattering confidence in a young goalie is not going to fair well for the future.
Just my two cents.
I really hope Taylor holds his own, and changes my perspective, but I see this going unfavorably for not only the Flames, but the Heat as well. How does Taylor recover in the AHL if he gets lit up in the NHL. pretty tough to go back down knowing you may never see the big show again.
I guess if you want a serious answer, I'm not sure where you are coming from on the bolded portion. The Flames need wins, and to plan for the future. Hartley wants to see what he has in Taylor, and doesn't want to give MacDonald back to back starts. In my not so humble opinion, there is not much more to it than that. See who is the best, and then go with him, but they cannot do that without seeing what they have.

They tried to do what you suggested with Irving, and were not happy with the results. (Personally, I was a bit fearful of any and every shot on net possibly going in on Irving, kind of like with some of my men's league 'tenders...).

I think your position is a bit too much doom and gloom, in that it is all or nothing. Could be he plays great, could be he doesn't and realises what he has to work on to get back, or, could be he realises he can play really well in the AHL for as long as he wants to. Still not too terrible a gig...
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #15
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Piss and vinegar.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #16
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
There's now three different threads on our goalie situation, that's what's ridiculous.
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #17
Prufrock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Danny Taylor? He's the..

"Perfect organism. His structural perfection is matched only by his hostility."

I do think Taylor will hold his own, I don't think he'll play amazing or anything, but I expect a solid performance.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #18
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
The scientific importance of ostracizing obnoxious people as per a study reported in the Calgary Herald today.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Sa...966/story.html

Cowperson
Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #19
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #20
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
There's no way that a big mac stays in anyone's system for a full day.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gargamel For This Useful Post: