Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #81
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Someone should do one of these on Monica Seles's rise to #1 and the subsequent fall from grace thanks to that wingnut who stabbed her.
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #82
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Goon View Post
Someone should do one of these on Monica Seles's rise to #1 and the subsequent fall from grace thanks to that wingnut who stabbed her.
really, this should become an ongoing series, as there are an endless supply of fascinating storys from the world of sports.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #83
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoFlame View Post
really, this should become an ongoing series, as there are an endless supply of fascinating storys from the world of sports.
On a recent podcast, Bill Simmons (ESPN Sportsguy and executive producer on these) says it's going to be ongoing. Looking forward to the Bartman one which will come out next year.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #84
carom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Finally saw the Ice Cube Raiders one. Wow, some things were never meant be seen in HD. Al Davis is a horror movie.
Whatever do you mean?

dear god is he 14?
carom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #85
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Goon View Post
So many "what ifs" with Monica's career. I'd love to see a 30 for 30 on her. If you do have the chance to read her autobiography, the whole second half of the book covers the stabbing and how she tried to re-gain her form.

The DVD set is on my Christmas list. Hopefully someone in my family got the hint
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:19 AM   #86
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Watched the one on SMU and the Pony Express last night (had it on my PVR for some time) - another top notch doc.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #87
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

http://www.clarionledger.com/article...ow+defamed+him

The minister in the Marcus Dupree story is suing, claiming defamation.

Not much of a surprise, given how they portrayed the guy. He and the uncle really come off looking the villain.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #88
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The episode on Rotisserie Baseball was interesting for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_baseball

The landmark development in fantasy baseball came with the development of Rotisserie League Baseball in 1980, named after the New York City restaurant – La Rotisserie Française – where its founders met for lunch and first played the game.

Magazine writer/editor Daniel Okrent is credited with inventing the pastime, coming up with the idea on a flight to Texas. After presenting his first vision of rotisserie baseball to friends there none seemed interested.[3] Upon returning to New York a month later he received an enthusiastic reception from a different group of friends, who then collaborated on the first rotisserie league.

The inventors seem to regret not copyrighting the rules, that led to the huge fantasy sports world.

I think though, that had they not invented it, someone else would have. It seems like an obvious idea. When did people start doing hockey pools? I remember doing them in the early 1980s.

Strat-O-Matic began in 1961:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strat-o-Matic

Last edited by troutman; 06-23-2011 at 01:27 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #89
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally saw the full episode of Run Ricky Run. I'm sorry, as I know it was a big hit for a few posters here, but I have no sympathy for that guy at all. Well that's not quite true, what his dad did to him was HORRIBLE, that part was very sad.

For the rest however, I just don't sympathize with his plight at all. That's great you have a very inquisitive mind, and no question he's intelligent. But the impression I got from him is he's selfish, flighty, irresponsible, and non-committal. I don't care what your reasons are, you don't quit on your team right before training camp, you just don't. And knocking up some other girl while he's with someone else? Classy.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #90
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I finally saw the full episode of Run Ricky Run. I'm sorry, as I know it was a big hit for a few posters here, but I have no sympathy for that guy at all. Well that's not quite true, what his dad did to him was HORRIBLE, that part was very sad.

For the rest however, I just don't sympathize with his plight at all. That's great you have a very inquisitive mind, and no question he's intelligent. But the impression I got from him is he's selfish, flighty, irresponsible, and non-committal. I don't care what your reasons are, you don't quit on your team right before training camp, you just don't. And knocking up some other girl while he's with someone else? Classy.
Maybe rewatch it, it's quite evident that the guy has serious mental health problems.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #91
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

True there's definitely something going on with him, but at least for myself, I didn't find that to be the main message of the show. What I found was they were trying to portray him as this misunderstood genius, who just doesn't "fit in" with our North American society, especially the glamour/aggression of pro sports. I also got the impression he sees himself as moraly superior to most other NFL players/athletes. Yet, as even his commonlaw wife points out, he still sleeps around like a lot of athletes, and has that athlete ego.

On top of that, I don't care if deep down you are a nice guy, its your actions that define you. Repeatedly taking drugs when you know it could cost you your job and hurt your team (reckless / irresponsible), quitting on your team 2 weeks before TC, when doing it earlier would've at least allowed them to look for another RB at the draft or FA (selfish - I think a lot of us would love to just drop everything & take a year off and go travel the world to discover more about ourselves, but for most of us, the pressures of life get in the way), being a bad teammate, at least according to several Saints players during his time there (when then rookie Saints RB Deuce McAllister looked at Ricky for guidance, he basically said Ricky blew him off every time - again, selfish). Oh, wait I forgot, he's misunderstood. Poor guy.

I dunno, I just wasn't buying what they were selling in that documentary. Still very well done, I enjoyed it, he's definitely an interesting character. I just didn't sympathize with him, aside from the stuff about his dad.

Last edited by Sainters7; 06-24-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:28 PM   #92
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

All true, but like I said, all of that is a pretty obvious sign of serious mental health issues. I think that documentary did a great job of showing just how messed up he is.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #93
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

ESPN keeps spirit of '30 for 30' alive with new documentaries

Quote:
The Bartman movie, "Catching Hell," will kick off the fall run on Sept. 27. It's directed by Oscar winner Alex Gibney ("Taxi to the Dark Side") and will delve into why Chicago Cubs fans were so eager to make Bartman -- a fan who's blamed for costing the Cubs a World Series spot in 2003 (never mind that Cubs pitchers went on to give up eight runs in the same inning) -- a scapegoat. Gibney, a Red Sox fan, then looks at his own anger at Bill Buckner's gaffe in the 1986 World Series.

"Catching Hell" was initially scheduled to be part of "30 for 30" but was pushed back a couple times.
Quote:
- "Renee," about transgender tennis player Renee Richards' efforts to enter the 1977 U.S. Open and her life today. Airs Oct. 4.

- "The Dotted Line," directed by Morgan Spurlock, which profiles two sports agents, Peter Greenberg and Eugene Lee. Airs Oct. 11.

- "Unguarded," about former high-school star and NBA player Chris Herren's struggles with addiction and his road to recovery. Airs Oct. 18.

- "The Real Rocky," a profile of former heavyweight boxer Chuck "The Bayonne Bleeder" Wepner, whose 1975 fight with Muhammad Ali helped inspire Sylvester Stallone to write "Rocky." Airs Oct. 25.

- "Charismatic," about the horse that nearly won the Triple Crown in 1999 but sustained a career-ending injury in the Belmont Stakes. Airs Nov. 1.

- "Roll Tide/War Eagle," about the deep roots of the rivalry between the University of Alabama and Auburn University. Airs Nov. 8.
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...mentaries.html
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #94
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Roll Tide/War Eagle," about the deep roots of the rivalry between the University of Alabama and Auburn University. Airs Nov. 8.

Looking forward to that one.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #95
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Catching Hell was aired last night on ESPN and is now on youtube

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #96
JiriHrdina

Exp:

^And I think TSN is airing it the evening of October 6th (next Thursday)
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #97
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Dotted line and rolltide are going to be must see's

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:39 PM   #98
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Dotted line and rolltide are going to be must see's
Except Dotted Line is directed by Morgan Spurlock.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #99
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
"Roll Tide/War Eagle," about the deep roots of the rivalry between the University of Alabama and Auburn University. Airs Nov. 8.

Looking forward to that one.
Two schools that refused to play each other for 41 years and then when they do play they do stupid crap like kill trees..
Old 09-28-2011, 11:12 PM   #100
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey, those trees deserved it
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote