Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-17-2017, 09:52 AM   #661
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
Handheld vs docked. What's the preferred play method?

I'm supposed to be getting delivery today. Unfortunately I have to head up island for a hockey tournament so I won't see the package until Sunday evening. Would have been nice taking it with us.
Here comes the answer Nintendo wants me to say: both!

Mine spends most of the time in the dock, as we bought it more to be a console than a handheld. My kid is 5, and it is probably the only thing that he'll sit still for. He's not a big fan of passive activities and is always busy playing and building and drawing, so this is one way that I can get him to unwind for an hour occasionally. He doesn't play yet, but thoroughly enjoys watching.

That being said, last night I had to drop him off at an activity and was faced with a half hour to kill. Too short to run any errands of value or to go home. So I brought the Switch with me and played a little bit of Zelda. It was nice to have that option.

I'm sure that in the summer when there are more road trips, flights, and holidays happening, it will get a lot more portable use. But for the most part, mine is docked to the TV.

Performance seems good in both modes. The battery seems like it might last 3 hours or so, but I haven't really kept track too closely.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:55 AM   #662
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I've played probably 90% handheld. I find the graphics look better and it's more convenient, and I like having the Joycons attached to something but find the grip thing a bit too small.
The grip actually feels better than I thought it would, but I don't have big hands either. I thought for sure that I'd be needing a pro controller, but I'm not so sure anymore. It could also be the $90 price tag...
Old 03-17-2017, 10:00 AM   #663
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

For a game like Zelda, I'm playing almost entirely docked.

But Snake Pass, Puyo Puyo Tetris and most other games I'll likely pick up in the next couple months will almost certainly be handheld.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #664
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

For Zelda, pretty much docked all the time. I prefer no grip at all, lets me keep my hands at my sides on the couch, which I find is more comfortable. It also makes any of the motion stuff easier, as you only move one hand. I thought I'd get a pro controller if I didn't like the grip, but now that I use them detached, I think that is even better.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #665
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'm only playing Zelda and 95% of the time docked. The screen looks great (though bright sunlight I found it wasn't quite bright enough) but the details are still pretty small, I find the larger screen I enjoy the details in the graphics more.

EDIT: And I think I prefer the grip to detached, at least for Zelda where all the buttons get lots of use.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #666
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do you guys have screen protectors for the docked set up? Or is that scratching issue overblown? I ordered a tempered glass protector from amazon but it's apparently not shipping until April-May.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #667
photon

Exp:

I've been careful with docking it, and while it's docked it doesn't move so I haven't been too worried about the scratching issue until those protectors arrive. I haven't seen any problems yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #668
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
Do you guys have screen protectors for the docked set up? Or is that scratching issue overblown? I ordered a tempered glass protector from amazon but it's apparently not shipping until April-May.
I also have a glass screen protector coming. I think that if you dock and undock carefully, it is fine. I just ensure that the back of the unit is what is touching the dock as you slide it in, rather than the screen.

I do have one very fine scratch on mine, but my kid also tried to undock it himself once. It is barely noticeable and very fine, but my initial thought was that it never would have happened on a glass screen like on a phone. So until I get a screen protector on it, I'm admittedly being extra careful and a tad obsessive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #669
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
The grip actually feels better than I thought it would, but I don't have big hands either.
Hehe that's what she said.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 10:21 AM   #670
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Hehe that's what she said.
Speaking of "she", my wife says she likes the grip even more.

Seriously though, prefers it over my Playstation, for example. I'm sure that if I had a pro controller I'd probably not want to go back, but I have been pleasantly surprised by the grip.

(Post laced with the opportunity for innuendo)
Old 03-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #671
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm going to be playing almost exclusively undocked, I prefer handheld gaming. I bought a usb 3 cord so I can just plug it in wherever and not even need to worry about docking it

I will dock it for multiplayer. I downloaded snipperclips and we'll try that this weekend
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:23 AM   #672
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been wondering about power for it. From what I've read, it's a bit fancier of a cable that provides 5v and 15v. Without the 15v, you don't get enough juice to charge and play. Basically it's just enough to keep it running. Hopefully someone makes a cheaper spare power adapter for travel.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #673
stuckinchuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've been wondering about power for it. From what I've read, it's a bit fancier of a cable that provides 5v and 15v. Without the 15v, you don't get enough juice to charge and play. Basically it's just enough to keep it running. Hopefully someone makes a cheaper spare power adapter for travel.
If you buy the joycon grip with the charger, it comes with a cable that can plug into an iPad brick. I've been using that, and it seems to charge while playing.
stuckinchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuckinchuck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #674
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting, I didn't think that would provide enough power.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #675
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will say about Zelda -- it is certainly the most expansive and impressive mobile game ever released.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #676
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is quite interesting to see how different people prefer to use the device.

I have used it pretty much as a mobile, undocked device exclusively - and I think that is a smart niche for Nintendo.

Outside of Zelda I am more likely to sit down and play my PS4 or XBone, but as a console on the go it becomes much more useful for me.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #677
photon

Exp:

Walked into Shoppers Drug Mart today and someone was buying a Switch! I asked if they had more and they said they had a few but that was the last one. So I guess check your local Shoppers.

The kid looked VERY excited.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #678
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

1-2 Switch is actually brutal. Picked it up as I had AC and another bud coming over to watch the game. Figured it would be something to do in between. We turned it off after 5 minutes. Ping Pong was so bad. Will be trading it in while it still has some value.

Also, after about 10 beers friend licked the cartridge. Think he was too drunk to tell it tasted bad hahaha
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 03-17-2017, 05:43 PM   #679
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Walked into Shoppers Drug Mart today and someone was buying a Switch! I asked if they had more and they said they had a few but that was the last one. So I guess check your local Shoppers.

The kid looked VERY excited.
Shoppers was always a surprising place to find Nintendo stuff. It's where I found the Super Luigi U disc as well.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #680
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
1-2 Switch is actually brutal. Picked it up as I had AC and another bud coming over to watch the game. Figured it would be something to do in between. We turned it off after 5 minutes. Ping Pong was so bad. Will be trading it in while it still has some value.

Also, after about 10 beers friend licked the cartridge. Think he was too drunk to tell it tasted bad hahaha
The dueling was moderately fun, but you could tell it would get old in about 5 minutes. Absolutely should have been a pre-installed tech demo.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote