Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #2041
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me he's probably top 5 in the league. The price is ridiculous, but that's the market right now. I'd be more worried about his injury ... he hasn't played since January. Huge risk.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #2042
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
For me he's probably top 5 in the league. The price is ridiculous, but that's the market right now. I'd be more worried about his injury ... he hasn't played since January. Huge risk.
More or less. What concerns me is two-fold:

Quote:
Southampton have asked the Premier League to investigate an alleged illegal approach from Liverpool for Virgil van Dijk, Press Association Sport reports.

PA Sport reports Southampton are yet to receive any contact from Liverpool regarding Van Dijk, despite sources telling ESPN FC that the defender has indicated he is eager to move to Anfield.

Jurgen Klopp has made Van Dijk, who has also been linked with Chelsea and Manchester City, his top target this summer but Saints have reportedly been irritated by what they see as an attempt to unsettle their player and are ready to reject an official offer.
http://www.espnfc.us/story/3139412/s...pproach-report

1. Hopefully they've done their due-diligence and expect van Dijk to anchor their backline for a decade, in which case the money is what it is, as you said thats the market right now.

The fact that Southampton are asking for them to be investigated doesnt lend much confidence for the diligence being done.

2. His ceiling/Injury. Could he be one of the top defenders in this league? If the answer is yes then again, the money is what it is.

We need to shore up our CB position, is van Dijk the answer to that?

Its a lot of money both in transfer and wages.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #2043
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I really doubt this has been done illegaly. It has been well publicized that multiple clubs have been talking to him.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #2044
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I really doubt this has been done illegaly. It has been well publicized that multiple clubs have been talking to him.
which is fine with Southamptons blessing. The claim is that Liverpool and Klopp have been talking to van Dijk without permission. There isn't a way to prove this though and I'm sure that there won't be any consequences for Liverpool ... apart from maybe pissing off Southampton so much that they won't sell him now, off course.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #2045
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I would have to take a look closer. I just figure there are way better defenders in the league though. I don't know though, it's a boatload of money for a guy who hasn't played since January.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #2046
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't know, he's good and fine. But wouldn't that be a record for a defender at this point? I'm not even sure he's in the top ten in the league, honestly?
how long do you have to display that stupid avatar?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2017, 10:59 AM   #2047
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
how long do you have to display that stupid avatar?
Until the end of the playoffs. I was sort of hoping for sweeps as soon as it became apparent
Old 06-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #2048
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
which is fine with Southamptons blessing. The claim is that Liverpool and Klopp have been talking to van Dijk without permission. There isn't a way to prove this though and I'm sure that there won't be any consequences for Liverpool ... apart from maybe pissing off Southampton so much that they won't sell him now, off course.
Yeah, I do get the impression that Southampton are getting tired of selling their players to Liverpool, its become a bit more than a running gag at this point.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-06-2017, 12:07 PM   #2049
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting in all of this is that Southampton is also in a bit of a managerial limbo right now. There are rumours that they will probably sack Claude Puel.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #2050
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why does Southampton bite the hand that feeds them 40/50-mil every year?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #2051
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

why is southampton pretending 90% of transfer in the league dont involve some sort of tapping up, it's commonplace
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #2052
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meanwhile, Lukaku is set to return to Chelsea. They still hope to bring down the price a bit, since Everton want 100m. Imagine it's going to be around 80m or so when everything is said and done.

United are negotiating with Real for Morata. According to di Marzio, United had a €60m offer turned down and Real want €90m. The market has gone bonkers.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:34 PM   #2053
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Meanwhile, Lukaku is set to return to Chelsea. They still hope to bring down the price a bit, since Everton want 100m. Imagine it's going to be around 80m or so when everything is said and done.

United are negotiating with Real for Morata. According to di Marzio, United had a €60m offer turned down and Real want €90m. The market has gone bonkers.
de Gea better be triple digits then.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:14 PM   #2054
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

$100m for Lukaku?! I know he's good and all, but wow. Staggering amounts of money being thrown around in general. I can understand them not wanting some sort of cap because it could definitely limit them globally in terms of attracting talent, but seriously how do the small clubs even have a hope when the costs are that high?
Old 06-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #2055
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
$100m for Lukaku?! I know he's good and all, but wow. Staggering amounts of money being thrown around in general. I can understand them not wanting some sort of cap because it could definitely limit them globally in terms of attracting talent, but seriously how do the small clubs even have a hope when the costs are that high?
I think its the opposite actually.

You dont see most teams casually toss that kind of cash around anywhere else.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #2056
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Real not pursuing De Gea anymore, according to their mouthpiece Marca and other Spanish outlets.

Excellent. Should also make the Morata negotiations easier.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #2057
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/anno...l-fc-statement

lol
Old 06-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #2058
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Real not pursuing De Gea anymore, according to their mouthpiece Marca and other Spanish outlets.

Excellent. Should also make the Morata negotiations easier.
Says they're pursuing Donnarumma now, and Milan has offered him? That kid looks like the next sure thing, in goaltending.

I really thought he'd eventually replace a retiring Buffon...
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #2059
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Says they're pursuing Donnarumma now, and Milan has offered him? That kid looks like the next sure thing, in goaltending.

I really thought he'd eventually replace a retiring Buffon...
Donnarumma only has one year left on his deal and his agent is Raiola, so ... anything can happen. From what I've read, Donnarumma will only re-sign at Milan if he gets a decent release clause. So that could make a lot of sense for Real - keep Navas for one more season or so and then get Donnarumma. I'd be more than fine with that

More realistic, of course, is them coming back for De Gea next summer. Rinse and repeat.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #2060
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

In a way I'm kind of relieved. I wonder what the hell happened.