chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #282
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pre orders up on their (US?) website tomorrow. Not sure when stores here will get it.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:33 PM   #283
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are you guys using for keyboards these days? Went in to ME the other day and wow are there ever a lot of options. Quite overwhelming. I don't think I need bleeding edge responsiveness, can't imagine a keyboard is going to improve my gaming ability much. I do like the ones with a ton of colour options but past that, I'm not sure what to look for? I don't like full on mechanical keys, that would get freakin annoying but don't like them mushy either. I used to be a logitech guy but some of the corsair options look intriguing.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #284
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

This. This is all that you need. If you don't have one, you're doing it wrong.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #285
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Going to get one of these, been using the Microsoft ergonomic keyboards for forever.

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store...tID.5074014300
Old 03-01-2017, 03:20 PM   #286
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
This. This is all that you need. If you don't have one, you're doing it wrong.

FYP

Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #287
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I also have the Orbweaver but I don't like the "d-pad" on it.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #288
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, so are they that good? I looked at a couple of those as well and they look really cool but wasn't sure if they were gimmicky. Meant to see if I could find some reviews online but they do look very interesting.

@Photon.....do you use that for gaming? I saw that at the MS store and thought it looked and felt great but wasn't sure about gaming applications. I've never considered an ergonomic keyboard for that. With the amount of typing I do at work, I'm considering one for my office.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:43 PM   #289
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
FYP

Razer Nostromo Pic
That doesn't have enough rows of keys! Quick switching of weapons with 1, 2, 3 is completely missing, that would drive me insane.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #290
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
That doesn't have enough rows of keys! Quick switching of weapons with 1, 2, 3 is completely missing, that would drive me insane.
3 shift functions if needed

Also I want to say if you haven't used one don't start. Get used to the keyboard even though I don't know how people are so good with a keyboard, I always try and make the switch since I have used these keypads since day 1 but overall they are a crutch.

Last edited by Raekwon; 03-01-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #291
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
FYP

I tried that one but never liked the flat "joystick". I found the G13 more comfortable with the stick and being able to treat it like a literal joystick rather than having to push down to get enough friction on the flat one to move it.

A quibble though, whatever is most comfortable for you is certainly the way to go.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #292
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much movement is there in the palm rest on those things? They must be quite comfortable to use?
Old 03-01-2017, 04:02 PM   #293
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
@Photon.....do you use that for gaming? I saw that at the MS store and thought it looked and felt great but wasn't sure about gaming applications. I've never considered an ergonomic keyboard for that. With the amount of typing I do at work, I'm considering one for my office.
I currently use the Sculpt Comfort Keyboard (https://www.microsoft.com/accessorie...mfort-keyboard) which isn't separated as the other one in the middle, but I've used older MS ones that were similarly separated in the middle in the past.

I've always used them for gaming and don't really have a problem. I've considered something like the Logitech or Razer a few times but have never went through with it. The keys on the new MS one are more flat so it might not be as good for gaming so I might finally get a G13 when I get that MS keyboard if it doesn't work as well for gaming.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #294
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
How much movement is there in the palm rest on those things? They must be quite comfortable to use?
the ones I use the palm rest extends out pretty far for all size hands. not sure on the other.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:44 AM   #295
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, so are they that good? I looked at a couple of those as well and they look really cool but wasn't sure if they were gimmicky. Meant to see if I could find some reviews online but they do look very interesting.

I do a ####load of typing during the day, average over 100 wpm.

I just recently switched from a TT model mechanical keyboard to a microsoft Sculpt ergonomic keyboard. : https://www.microsoft.com/accessorie...ktop/l5v-00001

So far I really like it. It's taken a little bit to get used to the key layout, my fingers still sometimes struggle to find home row on my right hand but it's otherwise a very comfortable and responsive keyboard.

I haven't really used the mouse or number pad, but the keyboard itself with all it's weird new height and angled keys is much more relaxing on my tennis elbow.

Last edited by Flash Walken; 03-02-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #296
photon

Exp:

Reviews of the AMD CPU are coming in and looks like it's pretty decent for a workstation CPU by virtue of the # of cores, competes really well against 8 core Intel CPUs for encoding and content creation, anything that works well multi-threaded, and considering the AMD is half the price of the Intel it's really good there.

Gaming though seems to be lackluster. The per-thread performance is lower than Intel and desktop gaming is still very much influenced by single thread performance, so gaming benchmarks lag behind, though the higher the resolution the less that gap is.

But for the average PC user, AMD is a very valid choice again. And for content creation or encoding, it's a complete win over Intel's 6950X class with performance at half the cost for the CPU, and the surrounding components are going to be much cheaper than Intel's as well.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:58 PM   #297
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

For gaming the GPU is still the dominant factor that determines the framerate of a game. My overclocked i5 2500k is still good enough to get me consistent 60 fps along with my GTX 1070 and I still see no reason to upgrade the CPU.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LockedOut For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #298
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
For gaming the GPU is still the dominant factor that determines the framerate of a game. My overclocked i5 2500k is still good enough to get me consistent 60 fps along with my GTX 1070 and I still see no reason to upgrade the CPU.
Man, the i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (started at 5GHz but tuned it down a little) has been solid for me since 2011. It's ridiculous that a 6 year old CPU is still pulling along like this. I still see no reason to upgrade the CPU at this point. FlameOn has the same setup as me for the same amount of time. It's just had fantastic longevity.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #299
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm rocking my 990x O.C to 4.1ghz from 2011 as well, sadly I'm starting to feel the limitations of the chipset.

If I'm going to buy into Volta or the 10 series I may as well jump on the new tech band wagon and do it all.

Still looking for a case with what I want though.
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:15 AM   #300
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I finally gave my Steam controller a whirl on Civ 6 and came away pretty impressed. It takes a bit of getting used to but it's pretty much as good as a mouse and the shortcuts on the controller are definitely a plus. Makes it a much more enjoyable couch experience.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote