Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #1581
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that's true of course, but in a league with this kind of parity it is bound to happen? There are basically 6-7 clubs battling for those spots, and it's a pretty spoiled attitude to think that you just automatically get that every year.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #1582
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Should their supporters be all that upset though? I mean they have won 2/3 FA Cups in the past few years, and finished top four consistently. I find it hilarious that they can't take the next step, and things aren't exactly on the upswing this year, but that track record isn't exactly terrible.
sorry, but that's such a Spurs mindset. You should always strive to be the best and Arsenal have enough ressources to not being content with being 3rd or 4th. Say what you want about guys like Guardiola and Mourinho, but at least that is out of the question for them.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #1583
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

dont remember a Thursday game in the league ever happening

Fixture amendments
(all times are BST)

Tuesday 25 April
7.45pm Chelsea v Southampton (Sky Sports)

Wednesday 26 April
7.45pm Arsenal v Leicester City (Sky Sports)
7.45pm Middlesbrough v Sunderland
8pm Crystal Palace v Tottenham Hotspur

Thursday 27 April
8pm Manchester City v Manchester United (Sky Sports)

Sunday 30 April
2.05pm Middlesbrough v Manchester City*

*Consequent to Manchester City v Manchester United moving to Thursday 27 April
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 02:40 PM   #1584
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apr 01 vs West Brom
Apr 04 vs Everton
Apr 09 at Sunderland
Apr 13 at Anderlecht
Apr 16 vs Chelsea
Apr 20 vs Anderlecht
Apr 23 at Burnley
Apr 27 at Man City
Apr 30 vs Swansea

another fun month lol
Old 03-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #1585
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

jesus
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #1586
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Should their supporters be all that upset though? I mean they have won 2/3 FA Cups in the past few years, and finished top four consistently. I find it hilarious that they can't take the next step, and things aren't exactly on the upswing this year, but that track record isn't exactly terrible.
I think the biggest issue for the fans is that they feel they were sold a bill of goods.

Once their arena was paid off Wenger was supposed to have the cash to be ambitious. Then from time to time they make it clear that Wenger has the money he just doesnt spend it.

I think thats really the issue. The mentality that you're talking about it exactly what most Arsenal fans believed.

"Muddle through being somewhat successful until the Stadium is paid for and then they'll invest and we can take it to the next level."

Except the latter part just hasnt come.

You get some board members saying he has the money he just isnt spending it, and then you get Wenger claiming that theres no one worth buying and everyone is just busy pointing their fingers at each other.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #1587
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Then from time to time they make it clear that Wenger has the money he just doesnt spend it.
that's why Kroenke loves him so much. He doesn't spend as much as others and still makes top 4 (which equals CL money) - he's an owner's dream. Sucks for the fans though, they should be more ambitious for sure.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:43 PM   #1588
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't matter what resources he has at his disposal. The game has passed him by and he hasn't the technical nous to adapt. He pretty much wasted $150m during the summer to build a team that is poorer than it was last season.

He has built a team without a spine, a team without any strength in midfield, and as for the defence....what defence.

He won't accept any dissenting views. He has seen to it that anyone with an opinion is cast out of the club and he has no leaders on the pitch. He hasn't had a strong captain since Vieira and when a player does show passion (Alexis), he is thrown under the bus.

The problems at the club go wayyyyy beyond what is spent or not. I personally don't want him spending another cent of our resources because I don't trust him to do so wisely.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:22 PM   #1589
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
sorry, but that's such a Spurs mindset. You should always strive to be the best and Arsenal have enough ressources to not being content with being 3rd or 4th. Say what you want about guys like Guardiola and Mourinho, but at least that is out of the question for them.
It's not about being happy with finishing in the top 4, and it has nothing to do with that. It's that there are literally 6-7 teams in the top tier, most of which who can spend to stay there or challenge. Pochettino (who is one of the best managers in the PL at this point) isn't happy to just finish near the top and has made it known that Spurs are trying to track down Chelsea. It's not that anyone is aiming for 4th, but really only one team is going to win it. At this point, barring injuries or a massive collapse, its Chelsea. All Tottenham can do is win their games and hope for Chelsea to drop points (and beat them in the semi final of the FA to deny them the double).

So what's left to play for? United can't be considered title challengers despite spending a couple hundred million this year. They're 17 (!!!) points back. Sure there is a game in hand, but even at that the best case is 14 points off the pace. Pep and his millions in expenditures have him 12 points back. I'm sure that none of the managers would like to be in this spot, but when you are those distances away from winning you have to realistically play to finish as high as possible. Why do they get a pass? If they're such amazing managers and doing such brilliant things then why are they so far behind Conte? He's a first year manager here also...
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #1590
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
They are at risk of missing CL, and those big dollars.
That's what Kroenke really cares about, isn't it? Yet re-signs Arsene?
He's Arsenal's Jeff Fisher.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #1591
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bayern->Manchester->Chicago...
Old 03-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #1592
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Bayern->Manchester->Chicago...
With the fixture jam, that Devo posted he would've been an asset.
Is Carrick signed yet? Zlatan?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:22 AM   #1593
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

he didn't make the bench with Pogba injured, Herrera suspended and Schneiderlin long gone. So not sure how he'd have been an asset, Mourinho didn't trust him at all and wouldn't have played him.

I expect Carrick to be back for one more year and Fellaini to be sold, so that would leave them with Pogba, Herrera, Carrick and Pereira (who is having an outstanding loan spell at Granada and simply has to be given an opportunity) in midfield. They'll need a number six ... maybe someone like Fabinho who'd also provide cover at RB.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #1594
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

ya, for this year its weird to not keep him especially with the fixture list

but this summer, and its easier to buy this summer with no tournament

id imagine Mourinho brings in a deeper lying CM, and another forward at the minimum
Old 03-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #1595
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
he didn't make the bench with Pogba injured, Herrera suspended and Schneiderlin long gone. So not sure how he'd have been an asset, Mourinho didn't trust him at all and wouldn't have played him.

I expect Carrick to be back for one more year and Fellaini to be sold, so that would leave them with Pogba, Herrera, Carrick and Pereira (who is having an outstanding loan spell at Granada and simply has to be given an opportunity) in midfield. They'll need a number six ... maybe someone like Fabinho who'd also provide cover at RB.
I think hope is the better word here, especially with Fellaini. I think Mourinho values him too much and will probably keep him. Besides he's been decent this year outside that Everton disaster.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #1596
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah I guess it's more wishful thinking than anything else. He's been a useful depth player lately, I'll happily admit it. But the fact that they only triggered the 1 yr clause in his contract instead of re-signing him makes me think he's not in the long-term plans.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #1597
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being an Arsenal fan, I was hoping it was time for Wenger to move on.

Arsenal has been very mediocre over the last few years, despite big purchases. The time needs an overhaul, and I am not sure Wenger will be doing that this summer.

That being said, if he is staying on, I am hoping for some major changes in the transfer window to redefine the team.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 02:23 AM   #1598
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
It doesn't matter what resources he has at his disposal. The game has passed him by and he hasn't the technical nous to adapt. He pretty much wasted $150m during the summer to build a team that is poorer than it was last season.

He has built a team without a spine, a team without any strength in midfield, and as for the defence....what defence.

He won't accept any dissenting views. He has seen to it that anyone with an opinion is cast out of the club and he has no leaders on the pitch. He hasn't had a strong captain since Vieira and when a player does show passion (Alexis), he is thrown under the bus.

The problems at the club go wayyyyy beyond what is spent or not. I personally don't want him spending another cent of our resources because I don't trust him to do so wisely.
Morally superior, tactically inferior.

Quote:
It's not that anyone is aiming for 4th, but really only one team is going to win it.
There is a difference between 'competing for the title and at least finishing in the top 4' and 'being out of the title race by March but coming from behind to win a Top 4 trophy'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
That being said, if he is staying on, I am hoping for some major changes in the transfer window to redefine the team.
This is probably one of the scarier prospects. If a ton of money is spent, can we really trust him to spend it well? Also, the major changes are probably going to be limited to losing the only two World Class players we have left.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:40 AM   #1599
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
Morally superior, tactically inferior.
This is probably one of the scarier prospects. If a ton of money is spent, can we really trust him to spend it well? Also, the major changes are probably going to be limited to losing the only two World Class players we have left.
My concern is if they are going to stick with him, might as well give him the complete reigns. The issue with Arsenal has been mediocrity. I don't agree that he has ever "screwed up the future" necessarily.

I would rather go in a different direction though. A fresh start with a new manager, so to speak.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #1600
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
The issue with Arsenal has been mediocrity. I don't agree that he has ever "screwed up the future" necessarily.
The former is at odds with the latter.

Are top shelf players identifying Arsenal as a place where they can go to win things? Is he tying down our prospects with contracts that incentivise performance or is he rewarding them with contracts that make them difficult to off-load if they don't pan out? Is he preparing for a future where other clubs are knocking on the door of the Top 4 or is he content with maintaining the status quo?

To be fair, he's maintaining a status quo with which the board and owner are beyond content.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote