Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2017, 08:36 AM   #1
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Two people found dead in Panorama Hills - June 10, 2017

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/...panorama-hills
Quote:
Two people found dead in Panorama Hills

Mary-Ellen Southwick, Calgary Herald
Published on: June 10, 2017 | Last Updated: June 10, 2017 6:56 AM MDT

The homicide unit is investigating after two people were found dead in a northwest home and a third person was rushed to hospital in critical condition.

Acting Det. Martin Taylor said at about 5:10 a.m. Saturday, officers were called about someone suffering from a possible heart attack in the 100 block of Panamount Common N.W. When the Calgary police arrived, they found two people dead and a third person in critical condition.

The homicide unit is investigating.

More to come…
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:37 AM   #2
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carbon Monoxide maybe?

Weird to respond to a heart attack call and find 3 people at the scene.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #3
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounded like violent deaths according to the news this morning. Panaroma is becoming the NW's version of Temple.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Panaroma is becoming the NW's version of Temple.
I'm having trouble interpreting what this means?

Panaroma had a pretty average number of calls for violent crimes, if you adjust for the fact that it's the most populous community in Calgary outside of the beltline, the numbers are actually fairly low.

Temple has a pretty average population and a pretty average number of calls. If you look at neighboring communities such as Whitehorn and Rundle it actually skews a little lower, possibly fewer robberies because it is a little further from the train stations.

http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Stat...l-reports.aspx
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:58 PM   #5
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a general observation when news reports on serious crimes there are maybe 3 communities that are usually mentioned, Panaroma, Temple, and Dover when it comes to dog attacks.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #6
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I'm having trouble interpreting what this means?

Panaroma had a pretty average number of calls for violent crimes, if you adjust for the fact that it's the most populous community in Calgary outside of the beltline, the numbers are actually fairly low.

Temple has a pretty average population and a pretty average number of calls. If you look at neighboring communities such as Whitehorn and Rundle it actually skews a little lower, possibly fewer robberies because it is a little further from the train stations.

http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Stat...l-reports.aspx
Yeah, I don't think people know just how big Panorama Hills is. There is going to be more crime there on a strict count basis just because of the larger population. But on a per capita basis, Panorama Hills is one of the safer communities in the city. There was an article a couple years ago in Avenue magazine that listed Panorama Hills as one of the ten safest communities in Calgary statistically. I was curious whether anything has changed since then but the crime map tool on the Calgary police website appears to be down.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #7
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Its not that the area is unsafe, but it seems to have more than its fair share of domestic murder/suicides. Just a statistical anomaly, but it can lead to perceptions.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've lived in this area for a while, moved away to another city, and came back. I don't feel remotely unsafe... it's not like it's been a random string of violent crime. I quite like this area.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #9
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like a big family argument between generations of Sikhs resulting in 2 dead and the eldest suffering a heart attack. Bizzare
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:05 PM   #10
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It's a general observation when news reports on serious crimes there are maybe 3 communities that are usually mentioned, Panaroma, Temple, and Dover when it comes to dog attacks.
Oddly I've had that observation about the inner SW of the city, Mission, Mount Royal... yet they seem to avoid the stereotype. I wouldn't really want to generalize about areas of the city based on news worthy incidents either, since there are far to many incidents to all make the news and the rate of incidents probably has more to do with how safe a community is than the severity.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:10 PM   #11
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
I was curious whether anything has changed since then but the crime map tool on the Calgary police website appears to be down.
Yeah,

I had to look at the excel and scroll through it.

There # of incidents seemed to be exceptionally average. Which is very low on a per cap. basis when you are comparing it to a bunch of communities with half the population.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:27 PM   #12
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Oddly I've had that observation about the inner SW of the city, Mission, Mount Royal... yet they seem to avoid the stereotype. I wouldn't really want to generalize about areas of the city based on news worthy incidents either, since there are far to many incidents to all make the news and the rate of incidents probably has more to do with how safe a community is than the severity.
I suppose the reason why it strikes me is that I just think of the suburbs as sleepy quiet spots where nothing much is supposed to happen in comparison to the inner city communities. If for example, I heard about 10 bar fights in the Mission and 3 in Panorama, I would be a little more surprised about Panorama and would consider it a strange trend if it happened again. So, that there have been 3 homicides in a 12 month period is still alarming, however large the community is. I don't think it's an unsafe community; the murders weren't just random and could happen anywhere. It's just something odd that I noticed. Maybe there is one of those weird "Freakanomics" or "Outliers" type reasons explaining it.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:12 AM   #13
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Sounds like a big family argument between generations of Sikhs resulting in 2 dead and the eldest suffering a heart attack. Bizzare
Where did you get this information. I didn't see any mention of that in the article.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rain_e For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #14
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I suppose the reason why it strikes me is that I just think of the suburbs as sleepy quiet spots where nothing much is supposed to happen in comparison to the inner city communities. If for example, I heard about 10 bar fights in the Mission and 3 in Panorama, I would be a little more surprised about Panorama and would consider it a strange trend if it happened again. So, that there have been 3 homicides in a 12 month period is still alarming, however large the community is. I don't think it's an unsafe community; the murders weren't just random and could happen anywhere. It's just something odd that I noticed. Maybe there is one of those weird "Freakanomics" or "Outliers" type reasons explaining it.
I had to Google Panorama Hills to see exactly where it is, so clearly I dont know much about. However, whenever I heard the name, serious crime always came to mind. Its not necessarily that a Forest Lawn image comes to mind. Its that there's been high-profile killings in the recent past. For example, the pimp gangmember that killed the young mother and her daughter. I seem to recall some shootings as well.

And yeah, this stuff can happen and does happen in a lot of suburbs, like the recent Superstore shooting, but it seems there been a few big crimes in Panorama Hills that hit the news.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote