Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Let's Talk About Calgary High Schools

just looking to tap the CP collective with respect to Calgary high schools.

my son is currently in grade 9 at a catholic k-9 school and he is thinking about which high school to go to.

our designated school is bishop grandin so far my son has visited both bishop carroll and bishop O'Byrne as well as central memorial. I believe he has ranked carroll #1 (due to the self directed learning), central #2 (due to hockey program) and then others schools as 3.

my son is also considering taking AP math and science as these subjects have always been easy for him.

so looking for some comments from any grads of these schools, or other members with kids who go to these schools or are in high school.
  • what is the homework load in the ap courses
  • do you think ap courses are worth the extra effort
  • does anyone kids go to a school with a hockey program? my son has been on the bubble to make a quadrant team for each of the apst two years, so I was wondering if somehow he made it next year (highly unlikely due to the who stupidity of minor midget) would it be too much hockey between school and quad?
Old 12-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Also, have a son in grade 9 in Catholic Jr High.
His choices are:
# 1 Bishop Caroll
# St Francis

We went to the St Francis Ap info session, and were impressed at first glance.
We're doing the open houses and Bishop Caroll's AP info session in Jan.

Thanks for the thread as we don't know anyone with first hand experience at either high school.

Last edited by jeffporfirio; 12-05-2016 at 01:30 PM. Reason: typo
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
His choices are:
# 1 Bishop Caroll
# St Francis

We went to to the St Francis Ap info session, and were impressed at first glance.

Thanks for the thread as we don't know anyone with first hand experience at either high school.
Holy hell, those school are nowhere near each other.

Ah, it is the AP program that draws you to each school.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 12-05-2016 at 01:28 PM.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
His choices are:
# 1 Bishop Caroll
# St Francis

We went to to the St Francis Ap info session, and were impressed at first glance.

Does your son play football? Because if he does, its likely that he will be kidnapped and forced to play at Francis.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #5
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Choices? We never had any choices.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #6
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went to Carroll, highly recommend if he's self motivating. If he's gonna ditch class to go hang out its probably the worst place to go. Super good school, loved the format and the attitude of the faculty and students. Lots of student athletes attended Carroll and did their training full time.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #7
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is assuming you want to continue in the catholic system...

My son went k-9 in the catholic system and then transferred to the public system due to the courses he wanted to do.

He would've went to Grandin but instead now goes to Beaverbrook.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:18 PM   #8
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is your son really good at staying on top of his studies without constant direction? If so Bishop Carroll might be a good option as he could potentially get more courses done in less time. Times may have changed but back when I was in high school there was a general rule of thumb when choosing where to go: If you like getting baked, go to Bishop Carroll. If you like diplomas, go anywhere else.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
This is assuming you want to continue in the catholic system...

My son went k-9 in the catholic system and then transferred to the public system due to the courses he wanted to do.

He would've went to Grandin but instead now goes to Beaverbrook.
so your son wanted a exciting career in the Dry Cleaning industry?

I kid I kid. old rivalry joke

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #10
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
so your son wanted a exciting career in the Dry Cleaning industry?

I kid I kid. old rivalry joke
Pffft, Beaverbrook was more than just dry cleaning, there was body shop, mechanics, shop built a garage every year, hair cuts.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:24 PM   #11
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Avoid AP classes, not worth it, stick with just pure -1 classes
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #12
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Is your son really good at staying on top of his studies without constant direction? If so Bishop Carroll might be a good option as he could potentially get more courses done in less time. Times may have changed but back when I was in high school there was a general rule of thumb when choosing where to go: If you like getting baked, go to Bishop Carroll. If you like diplomas, go anywhere else.
Thanks.
We talked to his core courses teachers over the last PT interviews, and they all recommended Bishop Caroll, due to his work ethic.
My only concern, as replied above, is distance, "Bishop Caroll" is far, and has no dedicated buses to where we live. The plus is that he won't be going every day.
He does want to continue in the Catholic system, so those two are about our only choices.
Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #13
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Avoid AP classes, not worth it, stick with just pure -1 classes
Noo why? Had my best high school memories in AP classes haha.

There's also the feeling of superiority over the Pure-only kids.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:38 PM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bishop Carroll isnt about 'Work Ethic' its about diligence.

Some people are hard workers but still need the kick in the ass to get to work, if he needs the kick in the ass he wont get it at Carroll and thats important to know.

That being said, Grandin is okay too, I know lots of people who went through there (who doesnt?) but Grandin is pretty much a 'you get out what you put in' type of place.

But in the grand scheme of things, its High School. If hes a kickass hockey player or something, okay choose based on that I guess, but High School?

Picking a University is important for your future, your High School's job is to get you there. I dont know, I think you might be over-thinking this a bit.

If theres an ulterior motive at play (sports excellence, etc) then I can see that, but I dont think there is really a whole hell of a lot that differentiates High Schools in Calgary as one thats better than another.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #15
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks.
We talked to his core courses teachers over the last PT interviews, and they all recommended Bishop Caroll, due to his work ethic.
My only concern, as replied above, is distance, "Bishop Caroll" is far, and has no dedicated buses to where we live. The plus is that he won't be going every day.
He does want to continue in the Catholic system, so those two are about our only choices.
Sorry for hijacking the thread.
It may have changed but I believe you still had to check in everyday at Caroll
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:44 PM   #16
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

What part of the city do you live in and how would he be getting to school each day? That will be a consideration as well. We're a CBE family but I have heard good things about Bishop Carrol if and only if your son is motivated enough to do the self learning thing. I know some people who have gone there and they absolutely loved it, while personally I never would have been able to do that type of program and neither could my son - we both need the structure of a more regimented program. Depending on where you live there are other sports programs (for example Global Sports Academy which runs out of Springbank school and also Okotoks I think). I know several people who go to the program at Springbank and those that do seem to be almost zealous in their love for it. Many of those had done the NSA program in junior high and would have gone on the Central Memorial had they stayed in the program (the one you are referring to) but chose to switch mainly due to living in the NW and the pain it is to get to Central each day.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #17
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you don't (or didn't) go to Churchill, you might as well give up on life.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:47 PM   #18
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Choices? We never had any choices.
Agreed -- is this process of picking a HS a relatively new phenomenon? What is the purpose of these open houses? I can understand if some schools offer certain classes/programs that others don't, but at the end of the day you're walking out with a HS diploma and whatever you managed to figure out along the way.

P.S. I'm assuming the University entrance requirements haven't gotten so strict that some schools are considered better than others (i.e. public/catholic; I'm excluding private schools)?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:52 PM   #19
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
What part of the city do you live in and how would he be getting to school each day? That will be a consideration as well. We're a CBE family but I have heard good things about Bishop Carrol if and only if your son is motivated enough to do the self learning thing. I know some people who have gone there and they absolutely loved it, while personally I never would have been able to do that type of program and neither could my son - we both need the structure of a more regimented program. Depending on where you live there are other sports programs (for example Global Sports Academy which runs out of Springbank school and also Okotoks I think). I know several people who go to the program at Springbank and those that do seem to be almost zealous in their love for it. Many of those had done the NSA program in junior high and would have gone on the Central Memorial had they stayed in the program (the one you are referring to) but chose to switch mainly due to living in the NW and the pain it is to get to Central each day.

Thanks.
We live in Rocky Ridge, so the commute to Bishop Caroll is long (train to Brentwood and Mount Royal bus to Bishop Caroll). That is why I'm inclined to St Francis.
As far as being motivated, he is, he does all the extra assigned work in his core courses, I personally believe he would do well as he is not lacking any motivation to study (he gets it from my wife, I personally would not have done very well in a school like that).
Old 12-05-2016, 01:58 PM   #20
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I lived in Sundance and rode the bus and train to Carroll. It was a significant commute, but it was worth it for me. Was about an hour or more each direction to school everyday, but this was before the C-train extension to Bridlewood.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post: