Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #1
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Gas Stations Gas and Dash Incident

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...er-hit-and-run

This is absolutely horrible. How could the driver intentionally maim or kill a woman over a tank of gas? What has this world come to?

The other point is the gas station, Centex, apprently asks their employees to pay for any stolen gas so this woman risked her life for a tank of gas.

I will not fill up at Centex from now on.

Last edited by darklord700; 06-08-2015 at 10:39 AM.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about Centex? Are they still good?
Old 06-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dear god.

I just avoid Centex because they have poor tanks with a lot of ground contaminants in them. Lots of water and silt leaching into the tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Truck was stolen too.

What a piece of ####
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #5
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post

This is absolutely horrible. How could the driver intentionally maim or kill a woman over a tank of gas? What has this world come to?

The other point is the gas station, Centex, apprently asks their employees to pay for any stolen gas so this woman risked her life for a tank of gas.

Can we all finally agree BC got it right with pay at the pump???
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #6
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

That POS truck theif will be caught, just a matter of time.

But this practice of asking your employees to pay for stolen goods has to be stopped. An average employee is not your security guard. Hire a real security guard if the business would like but don't double your average empolyee as one.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

This exact situation is why you have to prepay for gas in most jurisdictions. It was only a few years ago a guy was killed in BC stopping a gas and go.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Standing in front of an F-350 pretty much ready to peel out is a ballsy move. However, she should have just phoned the cops and gave the license plate number. Not worth it to chase after agitated criminals with peon-sized brains and willing to take the violent route.

I always imagine being a hero in these situations myself when they happen, but it rarely, if ever, works out that way.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Umm...wut?

That is completely ludicrous.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #10
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most service stations have that policy, I wouldn't assume this is strictly Centex.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #11
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I respect the lady for what she did. She has balls of steel and judging by what she did, I wouldn't want to mess with her. I wish for her a speedy recovery and justice to be served on her behalf.

Having said that, as an attendant she's probably making ~$15/h. No way in hell you could pay me that and have me risk my life like that for some ###### in a truck who is too cheap to pay for gas.

Hopefully they catch the guy and throw the book at him (lol). But that was a foolish move on her part. Brave, but foolish.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #12
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Has that been confirmed?

Really strange that the truck would park at the Home Depot next door; gonna try to steal some fertilizer too?

Very sad for the woman who was hurt... can't imagine she thought for a second she would end up getting run over by this POS...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:58 AM   #13
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alberta is one of the last places (at least in my experience) that doesn't have mandatory pre-pay inside or pay at the pump. I thought it was weird years ago when everywhere I went in the USA had this, and in BC earlier this summer when I visited. Turns out I'm the alien.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #14
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That POS truck theif will be caught, just a matter of time.

But this practice of asking your employees to pay for stolen goods has to be stopped. An average employee is not your security guard. Hire a real security guard if the business would like but don't double your average empolyee as one.
The theory is most pump and go is people forgetting or not getting asked which the station owners figure is within the control of the attendant.

These types are rare. Having said that, if I start dinging my employees for stolen merchandise, shouldn't I have to pay them more when less is stolen? The whole concept of employees being paid ten bucks and hour, then having the whole days wages gone of someone drives away is ridiculous. I had that happen to me when I was a bartender and had a $100 tab taken off my wages
Old 06-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #15
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Has that been confirmed?

Really strange that the truck would park at the Home Depot next door; gonna try to steal some fertilizer too?

Very sad for the woman who was hurt... can't imagine she thought for a second she would end up getting run over by this POS...
Yeah, one would think there's a pretty big jump between stealing a tank of gas (scummy, but it's only really petty theft) to attempted murder. Picked the wrong guy to test the theory on.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #16
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had no idea you could still pump before you pay in Calgary; pretty stupid.
Hope this women pulls through and recovers, horrible situation.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:05 AM   #17
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Has that been confirmed?

I have a family member who works at a a gas station and their boss told all employees that they will be charged for drive offs though she doubts he follows through with it.

Either way it's wrong
Old 06-08-2015, 11:06 AM   #18
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

In BC, the law is called 'Grant's Law'.

The BC Government has since spent a lot of time trying to poke holes in it, specifically to benefit late night liquor sales.

This is truly tragic as it is completely avoidable.

Grant de Pattie, the guy who the BC law is named after, was killed over $12 dollars worth of Gas.

This is just madness.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 11:09 AM   #19
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Alberta is one of the last places (at least in my experience) that doesn't have mandatory pre-pay inside or pay at the pump. I thought it was weird years ago when everywhere I went in the USA had this, and in BC earlier this summer when I visited. Turns out I'm the alien.
I don't know that it is a law in the various states. When I had a diesel, I still ran across an odd gas station in VA every once in a while that didn't make you pay first (usually when the diesel pump was off by itself and not equipped with pay at the pump).

I'd think that the companies would do this anyway though, without having to be told to by law. With so many people paying with cards and pay at the pump everywhere, I'd think the risk/reward would be pretty tilted to making it policy by now.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #20
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
The theory is most pump and go is people forgetting or not getting asked which the station owners figure is within the control of the attendant.

These types are rare. Having said that, if I start dinging my employees for stolen merchandise, shouldn't I have to pay them more when less is stolen? The whole concept of employees being paid ten bucks and hour, then having the whole days wages gone of someone drives away is ridiculous. I had that happen to me when I was a bartender and had a $100 tab taken off my wages
I honestly hope she sues her boss for damages. Their the ones who made her feel like it was her duty to stand in front of the truck.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post: