Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #261
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

it's been making the news in Australia that 95000+ attended the Brazil-Argentina friendly and then 3 days later less than 50000 attended Australia-Brazil. Fans not supporting their own.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:28 PM   #262
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
it's been making the news in Australia that 95000+ attended the Brazil-Argentina friendly and then 3 days later less than 50000 attended Australia-Brazil. Fans not supporting their own.
In fairness, I can see why.

If I were a fan of the Brazilian National Hockey team and they came to town to play Team Canada I'd probably save my money on tickets and watch that absolute ass-kicking from home.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #263
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
In fairness, I can see why.
Yeah, I think the glass half-full is a better way to look at the situation. Over 95,000 came out to watch good football and close 50,000 came out to support their national squad. Beggars can't be choosers.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #264
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
What news? I haven't seen anything other than how amazing Brazil was and that it was lucky not to be 8-0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
Yeah, I think the glass half-full is a better way to look at the situation. Over 95,000 came out to watch good football and close 50,000 came out to support their national squad. Beggars can't be choosers.
Pretty much this. 50,000 is a great crowd for an Australia game on a Tuesday night.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #265
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Pepe scores but called back by video review lol

Old 06-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #266
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great call. The implementation still needs some improvement, but this is definitely the future.

https://streamable.com/xt2ai
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #267
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Mexico just walk it around doing nothing then give it away to Ronaldo.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #268
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Great call. The implementation still needs some improvement, but this is definitely the future.

https://streamable.com/xt2ai
My only beef is that it took too long.

It didnt need to take that long, but also they dont have the mechanism in place to clearly indicate to the players or the fans that the play is under video review, it took like 2 minutes to make the little TV with his hands indicating that it was being kicked up to the Video Ref and even longer for the decision, and I dont really know if that was edited because it didnt seem like he made his decision clear to the players.

Also, in Soccer this is going to be harder due to many languages among other reasons, but I like that in Rugby you can hear what the ref is saying and that he explains it to the Captains on the field.

Soccer refereeing is going to have to be more like Rugby refereeing but they're going to have to make that transition while dragging the players kicking and screaming.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #269
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

yep that's what I meant. It's obviously not perfect yet and it takes too long.

as for the players moaning to the ref, I imagine that will stop like it pretty much did when Hawkeye was implemented. There's really not much to argue about when the ref points to the headset (or to his watch, like with Hawkeye) and makes it clear that the video ref made the call, not the ref himself.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #270
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
yep that's what I meant. It's obviously not perfect yet and it takes too long.

as for the players moaning to the ref, I imagine that will stop like it pretty much did when Hawkeye was implemented. There's really not much to argue about when the ref points to the headset (or to his watch, like with Hawkeye) and makes it clear that the video ref made the call, not the ref himself.
Yeah and thats fair enough, I didnt make it clear enough in my post that I like it, but its lacking, but its young and its a step in the right direction.

There will be growing pains.

I LOVE when the ref points to his watch and shrugs his shoulders, thats perfect. It completely disarms the situation. I can see drawbacks from that later on, but we're taking baby steps here.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #271
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

i watched it in the U20s and it worked really well.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:09 AM   #272
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

talking about baby steps, the IFAB has now also proposed reducing games to 2x30 minutes with the clock stopped when the ball's out of play. I'd be really happy to see that implemented, though I can see the disadvantages of it too. Probably a long-shot to get a radical rule change like that implemented any time soon, but I'm happy that it's at least discussed. It looks like football has taken quite a few steps towards a more modern version of the game over the past few years, and personally I'm happy to see that. Those FIFA dinosaurs held back sensible progress far too long.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #273
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

i dont like too much change. I still like a bit a deviousness an cheekyness in the game.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:17 AM   #274
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
talking about baby steps, the IFAB has now also proposed reducing games to 2x30 minutes with the clock stopped when the ball's out of play. I'd be really happy to see that implemented, though I can see the disadvantages of it too. Probably a long-shot to get a radical rule change like that implemented any time soon, but I'm happy that it's at least discussed. It looks like football has taken quite a few steps towards a more modern version of the game over the past few years, and personally I'm happy to see that. Those FIFA dinosaurs held back sensible progress far too long.
I dont like that. People complain about slowing down the game, watch Futsal, it gets aggravating pretty quickly.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:22 AM   #275
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I dont like that. People complain about slowing down the game, watch Futsal, it gets aggravating pretty quickly.

that's from the Premier League season 10/11, I believe. You're already wasting 90-100 minutes (if you add injury time) for a net playing time of 55-60 minutes. Can't get any worse, plus you're getting rid of time-wasting and simulation.

Last edited by devo22; 06-18-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #276
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

you're already wasting 90-100 minutes (if you add injury time) for a net playing time of 55-60 minutes. Can't get any worse, plus you're getting rid of time-wasting and simulation.
I get that, I just think that one of the things they shouldnt tinker with is the length of the game.

And I dont believe that time-wasting and simulation would get any better, they'd still do it and the whole thing would become a boondoggle.

But, again, that suggestion is in its infancy, maybe theres something to it.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #277
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And I dont believe that time-wasting and simulation would get any better, they'd still do it and the whole thing would become a boondoggle.
how exactly would a player be time-wasting when the clock is stopped?
Old 06-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #278
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

That was a really tight offside against Chile on review

Old 06-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #279
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
how exactly would a player be time-wasting when the clock is stopped?
I wasnt really all that clear, when you reduce the length of the game the players are going to be using the same antics they currently do and the games are going to be just as long. It seems pointless.

Say a 90 minute game with no stoppages but time wasting runs about 2 hours.

A 60 minute game with clock stoppages and similar time wasting will likely run a similar 2 hours.

I'd much prefer retaining a 90 minute game, still with occasional stops of the clock, but a hard crackdown on time-wasting.

Watching Futsal when they occasionally broadcast it is annoying. When that clock is stopped the players are just screwing around, it takes forever and gets annoying in a hurry, if you want to preserve the integrity and spirit of the game I dont think constant stoppages is a good way to do it.

"Oh the player is rolling around on the ground, okay get off the field. Haul him off the field right now and when his apparently life-threatening ankle injury miraculously heals itself in a couple minutes I'll consider letting him back on, in the meantime you'll play with 10."

You screw your teammates enough times with antics like that and eventually a lot of this stuff will work itself out of the game.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #280
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh come on!

Quote:
Sepp Blatter does not agree with whistleblowing, the former FIFA president told The Guardian.

Asked if he thought if whistleblowing was correct, Blatter said: "No. At school, if you had somebody who was a whistleblower towards the tutor, then..."

Asked if he thought whistleblowers were like snitches in school, he said: "Yes, yes."

Blatter added on Yuliya Stepanova, the athletics star who recently exposed Russian state doping in her sport: "She wants to go to the Olympics, and now everybody says it is a shame she can't go because she is a whistleblower.

"Before long whistleblowers will be allowed to go to everything. Because if you are a whistleblower, it's not correct as well."

Blatter also confirmed that in the past he had sought the Nobel Peace Prize, though for FIFA rather than for himself.
http://www.espnfc.us/blog/fifa/243/p...is-not-correct