Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-27-2017, 07:54 PM   #461
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Witnessed a strange one last year between two atom teams in the playoffs.

Game is in OT. Team A has a player pulled down on a breakaway. He is too hurt to take the penalty shot so one of his teammates does and scores. The team celebrates. The other team is dejected. They shake hands at centre ice and depart. Game over.

The Zamboni does its thing, the next two teams take the ice and are warming up when they are pulled off the ice. The coach of the losing team had appealed (sucessfully I presume) that the player that took the PS was not on the ice and came off the bench to do so. Apparently the players were half undressed when they were told that they were returning.

Game restarts with the PS being taken by the player that was taken down. He scores, and they leave the ice again.

Thought that was the end of it when before our game later in the week I spot the same two teams playing again. Apparently the league made them replay the whole thing. The losing team won.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #462
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Is this a rule specific to your local association?
Makes sense if there was no goalie. Six skaters with an empty net. Five skaters during a penalty kill with an empty net.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:27 AM   #463
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boys MAAA are basically through their second round of playoffs now and into the division finals (north and south).

Female MAAA start playoffs this weekend by the looks of it.

The road to their respective national championships is underway.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #464
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

So just a quick update on the Elite stream playoffs for those who are interested:

Female Midge AAA held their Provincials Tournament over the weekend. St. Albert defeated Rocky Mountain Raiders in the final and move on to take on the winner of Northern (Prince George I believe) and Greater Vancouver for the Pacific Region championship. Winner of this goes to the Esso Cup for nationals.

Male Midget AAA best of 5 just started yesterday. Leduc vs. Strathmore. Winner plays the BC Champion for the right to move on to nationals.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #465
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Witnessed a strange one last year between two atom teams in the playoffs.

Game is in OT. Team A has a player pulled down on a breakaway. He is too hurt to take the penalty shot so one of his teammates does and scores. The team celebrates. The other team is dejected. They shake hands at centre ice and depart. Game over.

The Zamboni does its thing, the next two teams take the ice and are warming up when they are pulled off the ice. The coach of the losing team had appealed (sucessfully I presume) that the player that took the PS was not on the ice and came off the bench to do so. Apparently the players were half undressed when they were told that they were returning.

Game restarts with the PS being taken by the player that was taken down. He scores, and they leave the ice again.

Thought that was the end of it when before our game later in the week I spot the same two teams playing again. Apparently the league made them replay the whole thing. The losing team won.
Wow, that's really sad at any level of hockey. Sad that Atom hockey is taken so seriously.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #466
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I see there is a team from Calgary entered in a tournament my son is in this weekend. Anyone have a kid on the 08 Calgary SpartanOne headed to the Boston Showdown?

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:23 PM   #467
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSJ View Post
I see there is a team from Calgary entered in a tournament my son is in this weekend. Anyone have a kid on the 08 Calgary SpartanOne headed to the Boston Showdown?
Just so I am clear, there is a team of 9 year old kids going to a hockey tournament in Boston?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:27 PM   #468
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Just so I am clear, there is a team of 9 year old kids going to a hockey tournament in Boston?
Yup, also teams from Atlanta, Vancouver, Chicago, Minnesota, Toronto and the list goes on.

Crazy for sure but for us guys on the east coast will be nice to play kids from different places.

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:07 PM   #469
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

How did the SpartanOne team do in Boston? Also curious how competitive a team from Atlanta would be?
Old 06-08-2017, 09:27 AM   #470
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
How did the SpartanOne team do in Boston? Also curious how competitive a team from Atlanta would be?
http://bostonshowdown.com/schedule-and-results/

Looks like Calgary went 3-4.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #471
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple of notes from both the male and female midget elite stream in Alberta:

On the female side the AFHL concluded it's first full season in it's new form. Bantam has been changed to eliminate the AAA level and classify all elite level teams in Alberta as AA. In midget there is a AAA level (currently six teams) and a AA level (12 teams I believe, and they feed into the AAA level). St Albert won the league this year and went on to win the Esso Cup (national championship) so congratulations to them.

https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Na...al-Midget/2017

In male midget there have been some significant changes in southern Alberta as follows:
- SE (Medicine Hat) and South (Lethbridge) draw areas have been combined at the Major Midget AAA level. The two teams will merge into one single team next season. At the Minor Midget level both draw areas will retain a AAA team.
- the area surrounding Calgary has been split into two draw areas. Okotoks has been awarded a AAA team and will join the league next year.
- Strathmore is part of the Okotoks draw area and as a result will lose their AAA team which will now be hosted in Airdrie.

So for the male model there is no net change to the number of teams but some changes to where they are located and who draws to them.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:49 PM   #472
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so, it is that time of year for the quadrant hockey tryouts to start in Calgary during the next week

anyone else got a kid looking to make the jump?
Old 08-24-2017, 03:40 PM   #473
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mine is happy to play community this year so won't have to go through that this season which is just as well since they are doing tryouts over the long weekend and we have family plans made well before they announced the dates. That's a gear grinder though as it wipes out the last weekend of summer for families. I also wish they had a mechanism whereby you could try out only for AA if that is what you wanted (my kid would probably go for that as AAA is not of interest). I know some associations outside of Calgary do that and delay those tryouts until the AAA's have made their initial cuts which is a bonus as it delays the start of things until after the long weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #474
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's unfortunate that hockey starts so early. Makes it hard for kids to play other sports. My 10 year old son had to drop out of football this year because of so much conflict with hockey. The teiring is what takes so much time, but I'm not sure how else it could be done.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #475
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
It's unfortunate that hockey starts so early. Makes it hard for kids to play other sports. My 10 year old son had to drop out of football this year because of so much conflict with hockey. The teiring is what takes so much time, but I'm not sure how else it could be done.
Hockey starts too early and goes too long.

Spring hockey should be shot in the face.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #476
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Hockey starts too early and goes too long.

Spring hockey should be shot in the face.
Why should spring hockey be shot in the face? If you don't like it, don't put your kids in it.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:44 AM   #477
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

just thought I would give an update on my son's current situation as he contionues to push for a spot on one of the minor midget AAA spots on our quadrant team.

to date he has played two half games (he is a goalie) and he has been perfect thus far with a GAA of 0 and a Sv % of 1. In addition he has been poised during the games, moved/played the puck when he has had a chance, and most importantly, he communicates with his teammates and you can hear his voice thru the rink.

his team was carrying 4 goalies; however, they released one the other night - so as of today, he has one other goalie in his way.

my son has gotten this far in each of the past two years and it has ended in heartbreak for him. Never before have I hoped to be presented with a bill for $5,000+ like I am right now.

I believe the roster does not have to be finalized until Sept 20th or so, but to me it looks like next Wednesday may be the day where they finalize the team as the practice ends in the middle of the evening.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #478
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
just thought I would give an update on my son's current situation as he contionues to push for a spot on one of the minor midget AAA spots on our quadrant team.

to date he has played two half games (he is a goalie) and he has been perfect thus far with a GAA of 0 and a Sv % of 1. In addition he has been poised during the games, moved/played the puck when he has had a chance, and most importantly, he communicates with his teammates and you can hear his voice thru the rink.

his team was carrying 4 goalies; however, they released one the other night - so as of today, he has one other goalie in his way.

my son has gotten this far in each of the past two years and it has ended in heartbreak for him. Never before have I hoped to be presented with a bill for $5,000+ like I am right now.

I believe the roster does not have to be finalized until Sept 20th or so, but to me it looks like next Wednesday may be the day where they finalize the team as the practice ends in the middle of the evening.
Good luck to your son Northendzone, hopefully this is the year. Is the Main AAA team carrying and first year goalies? If they get cut they would come down to the Minor Midget teams and possibly displace players too. My son no longer plays but I passively follow our quadrant teams, particularly during tryouts as I know quite a few of the kids. For the second time in recent memory they cut a goalie from MAAA and the AA teams waived him right through without even giving him a look. The kid is devastated, he's played quadrant hockey since first year bantam and now it's community again (if he plays). My kids know him from school and he's a good kid. It sucks sometimes.

I have more exposure to the female Elite programs as my daughter still plays (community) but we know many of the girls playing AA and AAA. AAA teams are just being finalized now and it's very interesting to watch as Alberta has open boundaries at the Female AAA level meaning a player can tryout and play for whatever team they want. Calgary lost a lot of players last season and again this season to Rocky Mountain Raiders who play out of Okotoks and were building a 'super team'. St Albert did the same thing last year in the Edmonton area and won nationals.

It's all fascinating to watch how everything plays out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 10:26 AM   #479
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My 14 year old decided not to play this year. He likes the game, but I think was frustrated with favourtism (minutes, line combos), and the lack of team play (no one ever passed the puck much). I don't think he liked the constant social gatherings and tournaments (he is more introverted). He played in a lower division, maybe 6.

He might enjoy some kind of house league or shinny.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:45 PM   #480
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

the midget AAA team in our quad has goalies that are 16 - so there is no threat of being displaced by a release from above - his competitors are right there for him to see at every practice and game.