Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2024, 07:07 AM   #12181
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I like that this line has become your schtick but he does have his opinion, which is what he stated it was, and pointed you to what it was based on.
The NDP are in love with the Liberal party and will do anything to support them, right or wrong. If you don’t believe me, google it yourself and find the information.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:17 AM   #12182
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
So you have nothing. Thats fine.
Their official party policy is nothing? Lol. You’re getting worse at this.

No one is responsible for holding your hand to compensate for your inability to process basic facts being presented to you.

Let me guess, you’re voting for the same guy as Firebot and the people he insinuated aren’t bright?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:20 AM   #12183
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Their official party policy is nothing? Lol. You’re getting worse at this.

No one is responsible for holding your hand to compensate for your inability to process basic facts being presented to you.

Let me guess, you’re voting for the same guy as Firebot and the people he insinuated aren’t bright?
You can guess if you want. I’m not going to do the research for you.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:33 AM   #12184
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You can guess if you want. I’m not going to do the research for you.
Another bullseye!
Old 05-02-2024, 07:39 AM   #12185
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Another bullseye!
Let me guess, you are voting for either NDP or Liberal. Whichever has a better chance at forming government, regardless of their platforms. Bullseye.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:54 AM   #12186
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Let me guess, you are voting for either NDP or Liberal. Whichever has a better chance at forming government, regardless of their platforms. Bullseye.
I’m not sure, is the Bloc running a candidate here?

I’d vote for Pierre if he changed his stance on the one policy but alas he just won’t do it.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:31 AM   #12187
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I’m not sure, is the Bloc running a candidate here?

I’d vote for Pierre if he changed his stance on the one policy but alas he just won’t do it.

What one policy is that?
Old 05-02-2024, 09:48 AM   #12188
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What one policy is that?
The one I already brought up that you claim doesn’t exist. I’ve been pretty consistent over the years with my position that despite their other warts I would vote for any conservative leader/party that abandons their position on “right to work” laws. Don’t believe me? If they ever change their position you’re welcome to join me at the voting booth to watch me mark my ballot.

The irony is that I get labelled by some as having unreasonable expectations or views when they themselves won’t vote for certain parties no matter what policies they change their position on. Who’s being more unreasonable in that scenario?
Old 05-02-2024, 11:45 AM   #12189
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The one I already brought up that you claim doesn’t exist. I’ve been pretty consistent over the years with my position that despite their other warts I would vote for any conservative leader/party that abandons their position on “right to work” laws. Don’t believe me? If they ever change their position you’re welcome to join me at the voting booth to watch me mark my ballot.

The irony is that I get labelled by some as having unreasonable expectations or views when they themselves won’t vote for certain parties no matter what policies they change their position on. Who’s being more unreasonable in that scenario?
Fair enough.

We definitely came a long way from Pierre doesn’t give a rats ass about workers safety.

Thanks for the response.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:22 PM   #12190
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I don’t have time or energy to do the quote thing, but I’ll try to hit your points. Do I think you’re left leaning? Generally yes and I basically form that opinion from your never ending staunch defence of unions. Typically people who support or are super into unions are left leaning. If that is an unfair characterization than I apologize, as I understand a political stance can be nuanced like is mentioned in the other thread. As well, you say point out where you are wrong. I definitely do not mean to imply (generally, like, outside of this one particular issue) that left leaning people are “wrong” and in fact often they are right about several topics. It’s why I come to CP despite the echo chamber because my job day in and day out is an echo chamber on the other side.
The biggest problem with labelling everyone or everything as left or right politically is it convinces people that there is no nuance and promotes tribalism. I can assure you that union members, especially in this province, aren’t all ideologically driven to only support ideas on one side of an imaginary spectrum. There’s many union members/supporters that are any combination of pro guns, pro choice, religious and/or take a number of other positions that fall on the wrong side of what you label as left and right. The “spectrum” is such a flawed concept and only serves to promote division.

Quote:
I appreciate you posting the link and I was not directing my post to you necessarily however I have definitely had discussions about oil and gas with many people that tend to be left leaning (most of my closest friends are left leaning actually) and I very frequently hear whenever I rant about JT (as you point out I do it a lot but it’s only because there’s just… so… much… to bitch about) I always get the “well they bought the TMX pipeline! They can’t hate oil and gas that much!” Like BS, #### that. That’s like saying Danielle Smith still signed off on the health care budget so look at how supportive she is of that segment!
I don’t think the question should be whether or not they’re pro O&G, it should be about what they actually do when push comes to shove. Does it mean that they’re always going to make similar choices in the future? No, but comparing actually building a pipeline to slowly dismantling an existing healthcare system doesn’t seem like a rational comparison.

Quote:
In some very special and specific circumstances such as vital infrastructure for energy security and the economy of the nation then yes I believe government and businesses should be allowed to overrule regulations or court rulings. I believe personally that’s how other countries are able to get #### done and sometimes it is what is required. I think that polling the audience of 40 million people will get you 40 million different opinions; 20 million of which will deny, well, just about ####ing everything. Canada has decided to just let small interest groups leverage courts to stop or stumble criticism infrastructure projects. The government of Canada a) does have the ability to create new laws (yes they may be court challenged possibly but there are many other pressure points the government can use in its authority and powers to get #### done. For example, funding. Carrots and sticks, etc. b) does have the ability to force through special projects that are deemed vital to the health and stability of the nation and IMO this project actually does fit that scope.
I don’t really buy the small special interests group arguments. The land rights issues in BC are far more complicated than simply passing a bill to deny people their rights. Keep in mind too that the O&G industry finances their own special interest groups to achieve goals unrelated to infrastructure development, IMO that is causing them to lose the broader public support that would help them more easily achieve their infrastructure goals.

Quote:
Recouping $30B? You should run some econs on pipe projects. I suppose it’s possible if we haven’t totally shut down growth in oil which we’re trying desperately to do that this could pay out in 50 years, sure. Or what fees do you think are reasonable to ship oil with? I’m being sarcastic but if the project was launched with a capital cost of 5,4B then 30B with a delay of project startup of 4.5 yrs could be pretty challenging to economics- just a hunch.
The sale alone is expected to be worth between $15M-$25M(not sure if those figures are in CDN or USD) and the pipeline is expected to bring in revenues of $40B to the province alone over the next 20 years not including federal tax revenues it will generate. I personally think those revenue numbers will be exceeded due to the current geopolitical environment but that’s just my opinion. To be clear I’ll reiterate my point that the government stepping in to buy KM was not the ideal way to get this done, but unfortunately it was probably the only way it was going to get done under the circumstances.

Sources:

Quote:
A Reuters survey of five analysts and investors valued Trans Mountain between C$15 billion and C$25 billion, based on factors including projected earnings and oil shipping tolls.
https://globalnews.ca/news/10019634/...-analysis/amp/

Quote:
In an interview last fall, TMX chief executive Dawn Farrell said the expansion is projected to generate about $40 billion of royalties and taxes to Alberta over two decades.
https://calgaryherald.com/business/v...danielle-smith

Quote:
Glad we agree on this one and I do agree with you that we do agree on more than you or I prob think, I just don’t really reply to you if I agree with you on something. I can tell you I do respect your opinion.
I respect yours as well…but admittedly my patience gets tested a little whenever people use the left/right labels in their arguments. None of the parties have the right balance at the moment, but unfortunately that isn’t going to change until people stop falling for the divisive rhetoric most parties and the news/social media continues to push.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:27 PM   #12191
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We definitely came a long way from Pierre doesn’t give a rats ass about workers safety.
What’s this “we” stuff?

I stand by my statement, but with that being said if Pierre brings forward some actual legislation that legitimately promotes worker safety instead of just providing lip service about it then I’ll happily reconsider my position.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:05 PM   #12192
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Providing solutions isn't what he does.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 01:55 PM   #12193
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

No doubt Pierre will be calling to end the teamsters strike within 24 hours of the call. This is the type of rock and hard place situation his tack on workers rights can't really bear.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:08 PM   #12194
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why does Question Period still exist in the House? Most times, when I bother to look at some recap or video, it seems very much removed from many of the principals and guidelines set out here: Questions - Our Prodedure

It should be renamed to Airing Of Grievances and General Ranting Period.
woob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 03:33 PM   #12195
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
No doubt Pierre will be calling to end the teamsters strike within 24 hours of the call. This is the type of rock and hard place situation his tack on workers rights can't really bear.
He’s 100% going to demand back to work legislation. I highly doubt he’ll get it though.