Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-10-2017, 06:25 PM   #501
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Can't see how he doesn't win it. Yeah Harden had a great year and the Rockets had a better season, but if you take Harden off the Rockets and put a league average PG instead, they are still a playoff team. If you take Russ off the Thunder and put a league average PG instead, they are fighting with the Lakers and Suns at the bottom of the conference.
if that is the basis then LeBron wins it every year, might as well not have the award

Harden has been more efficient, turned the ball over way less, been the best passer in the league this season, and hes only missing out on the triple double by 160 rebounds

whereas Russ has basically been stat padding for 2 months, I think Zach Lowe pointed it out, but look at the Thunder on free throws, they clear out for Russ to get the rebound

that being said Russ doing what he does with a 42% usage rate is also insane, they are both having incredible seasons

I cant understand people saying that one or the other is way far ahead, to me its incredibly close.

I think Russ' play the last few weeks probably gets it for him, but I think an argument can really easily be made for Harden, less one for Kawhi, and for LeBron too
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #502
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No LeBron or Kyrie tonight. So still an outside shot at the #1 seed for the Raps, most likely #3 seed with the Cavs on tap for round 2, and the Celtics as the worst #1 seed in the history of the league.
Yeah, Boston at the worst #1 seed ever might not even be hyperbole. Eastern Conference playoff teams that Boston has won the season series against: whichever of Miami or Indiana makes the playoffs. Plus Milwaukee if Boston beats them tomorrow. That is all.

Overall, Boston is 9-15 against teams ranked in the top 16 in Sagarin ratings. Most-likely first-round matchup Chicago, by comparison, is 14-13.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:26 PM   #503
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really hope Cleveland finishes #1. Assuming they do, the Raptors would avoid them until the Easter Conference final assuming Cleveland, Boston, Toronto, and Washington win their first round series. Toronto would beat Boston in a seven game series in my opinion. Cleveland, not so much and not facing them til the 3rd round has the potential to create some injuries in the Cavs lineup.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #504
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does anyone else think Cleveland is dropping down to second in purpose because they view the Raptors as an easier second round opponent than say Washington? I'm certainly getting that feeling.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:34 PM   #505
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Does anyone else think Cleveland is dropping down to second in purpose because they view the Raptors as an easier second round opponent than say Washington? I'm certainly getting that feeling.
I don't think it's that as much as killing themselves this week to try and get #1 seed isn't worth it compared to getting a bit of rest. They were certainly gunning for first when they played LeBron 48 minutes against Atlanta, but when they lost that they changed their priorities.

Besides, they have championship aspirations, they don't care whether they play Toronto in round 2 and Washington in round 3 or vice versa.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #506
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wizards are no guarantee to even get out of the first round, Hawks present big problems for them. I actually think the Hawks are still the third best team in the East after the Cavs and the Raps. For the Raps it would be better to get the Cavs in the ECF where maybe they are a bit worn down, but the Raps are basically fully healthy and have lots of matchup flexibility with Ibaka/Tucker/Carroll. It shouldn't matter when they play, they have a good enough team to beat them.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #507
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it'll be Milwaukee in the first round for Toronto. On the one hand, Milwaukee game-plans for DeRozan better than anyone else in the league. On the other hand, DeRozan is passing better than at any other time in his career. Raptors are something like 13-2 in their last 15 against the Bucks. Bucks are one of the worst defensive rebounding teams in the league, Toronto is one of the best offensive rebounding teams. The Bucks force turnovers at a higher rate than just about anyone, but the Raptors turn the ball over far less than most teams with their screen/handoff based offense.

If the same JV that showed up in the playoffs last year shows up again, he can beast against Monroe and Henson. Giannis is absurdly talented of course, but Ibaka is an adequate counter for him. They do have a trio of guys with a history of burning the Raptors with other teams (Teletovic, Delladova, and Snell), all of whom I expect to have their moments in this series.

Still, this should not be a tough matchup for the Raptors; 5, maybe 6 games.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #508
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

All of the matchups are pretty much set

Boston v. Chicago/Miami
Cleveland v. Indiana
Toronto v. Milwaukee
Washington v. Atlanta

Golden State v. Portland
San Antonio v. Memphis
Houston v. OKC
Utah v. LAC

Obviously Houston v. OKC will be the series to watch in the first round. If the Bulls snag the 8 seed I like them to upset the Celtics.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #509
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

First round predictions anyone?

Boston in 5
Cleveland in 4
Toronto in 6
Washington in 7

Golden State in 4
San Antonio in 5
Houston in 6
Clippers in 7

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #510
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chicago in 6
Cleveland in 5
Toronto in 6
Atlanta in 6

Golden State by default (this is arguably the worst playoff series ever, Denver would have been far more interesting)
San Antonio in 6
Houston in 7
Utah in 6
Old 04-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #511
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chicago in 7
Cleveland in 6
Toronto in 5
Washington in 7
GS in 4
San Antonio in 5
Houston in 7
Utah in 6
Old 04-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #512
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toronto in 6. That's the only game I truly care about and this year, I really don't care all that much because of the somewhat dislikable team but also the terrible league wide refereeing.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:45 PM   #513
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Be nice if the Bulls knocked off the Celtics.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #514
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Be nice if the Bulls knocked off the Celtics.
If they do, a lot of it will be because Boston is one of the worst rebounding teams in the league and Chicago is one of the best. They've got good, smart rebounders at every position. They could second-chance the Celts to death. Which can really suck the life out of a crowd on the road in the playoffs. They'll need Wade to hit his shots coming back from an elbow injury, but I like their chances a lot if they get even 75% of standard playoff Wade.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:01 PM   #515
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean as Raps fans we should be rooting for the Celtics, if not for a miraculous comeback the last game the Raps would have lost 12 in a row against the Bulls. I do think the Bulls are a big problem for the Celtics though, gonna need Isaiah to keep performing large in the fourth quarter.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #516
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I mean as Raps fans we should be rooting for the Celtics, if not for a miraculous comeback the last game the Raps would have lost 12 in a row against the Bulls. I do think the Bulls are a big problem for the Celtics though, gonna need Isaiah to keep performing large in the fourth quarter.
Why? If the Bulls win, don't they play the Cavs in the next round? We wouldn't have to see the Bulls at all. Raptors would get the winner of the Atlanta/Washington series.

Bulls would serve as a good team to wear the Cavs down.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:28 PM   #517
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The NBA doesn't reseed. Raps are locked into playing the Cavs in the second round. Just the Bulls own the Raps so the sooner they are gone the better from a Raps fan perspective.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #518
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The NBA doesn't reseed. Raps are locked into playing the Cavs in the second round. Just the Bulls own the Raps so the sooner they are gone the better from a Raps fan perspective.
100% agree. Didn't realize the NBA didn't reseed. Going to have to hope for the Pacers than.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #519
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

No noon start! And by NBA standards this is a pretty normal schedule

Saturday 4/15: 3:30pm MDT
Tuesday 4/18: 5pm MDT
Thursday 4/20: 8pm MDT
Saturday 4/22: 1pm MDT
Monday 4/24: 5pm MDT
Thursday 4/27: TBA
Saturday 4/29: TBA
Old 04-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #520
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

nm
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competitive disparity , in masai we trust , minny is further north , nat'l blowout association , nba 2k17 is the bomb , swept away , yawnba