Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-28-2016, 04:46 AM   #841
FragileMind
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Haven't seen this here yet.Thoughts?New membership options.
http://www.playgolfcalgary.com/image...e_2017_CMP.pdf[/
FragileMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #842
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My thoughts are it's nice to see a couple of more options (new courses) in the area although the Serenity ones are about as far from my place as could be. I'll be hard pressed to ever play them but nevertheless it's good to see new courses.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:14 AM   #843
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverfresH15 View Post
Desert Willow has two amazing courses but they are expensive. Shadow Ridge and Mission Hills are really nice as well. I would use Golfnow and look for cheaper times. If you aren't getting #####faced and don't mind a 15min drive, check out Taquitz Resort and Indian Canyon south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum_PI View Post
I played the Pete Dye course at the Westin Mission Hills a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Can't remember exactly how much it cost, but I think it was pretty reasonable.

Decided on Mission Hills and Indian Wells - Player Course for my 2 non drinking rounds next week. Found them for 59.99 American via Golfnow for late afternoon tee times. Will update with some pics etc. when I get back. Thanks all.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:42 PM   #844
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragileMind View Post
Haven't seen this here yet.Thoughts?New membership options.
http://www.playgolfcalgary.com/image...e_2017_CMP.pdf[/
Price (for both Platinum and Gold) is defintiely competitive. Sirocco and Carnmoney are basically the price of the platinum membership and IMO Blue Devil is a more enjoyable course (even though they planted all those trees). Annual dues are significantly cheaper than any private course in the area as well.

Though it is really a membership at a public golf course so you don't get the accessibility of Carnmoney or even semi-private Sirocco. PlayGolf will fill the tee sheets in anyway they can so if you can't take advantage of that 6-14 day booking window then I would say steer clear. If you have the flexibility to do that, then great, otherwise you're going to have trouble finding decent tee times at your own course.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:49 AM   #845
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

ok, I havent touched a club in over a month, but this is too much to pass up on. Anyone know who is still open?
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:25 AM   #846
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
ok, I havent touched a club in over a month, but this is too much to pass up on. Anyone know who is still open?
I heard Blue Devil was still open, might want to try giving them a call.
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #847
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got an email this morning from Glen Eagles, they are still open. I think Silverwing is too.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:33 PM   #848
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Speargrass and Boulder Creek are open
Old 11-09-2016, 10:49 PM   #849
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speargrass is in the best shape I've ever seen it.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:11 AM   #850
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Speargrass is in the best shape I've ever seen it.

Really??? Greens and all?
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #851
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played it on October 24 and they were pure.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:44 PM   #852
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Springbank Links is open through the weekend (just finished playing). Full greens and tees (and in ok shape for November)
Old 12-15-2016, 06:49 PM   #853
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if anyone is heading south this winter, apparently you should look for these if you can actually find them. Really wanna see if they are indeed Pro V1 level good for 1/3 the price. Could be a game changer and force Titleist and others to lower the price to compete.

Quote:
Titleist is the household name when it comes to golf balls, especially the company's hugely popular Pro-V1 line.

Kirkland is a household name too. One that makes up 20% of the products you'll find at your nearest Costco, from laundry detergent, pet food and toilet paper to canned foods, beer, automotive products and beauty aids. That's some serious range. The volume wholesaler is now in the $1.5 billion golf ball market too and its signature Kirkland ball has been flying off the shelves.

The price point was right from the start. The Kirkland Four-Piece Urethane Cover Golf Ball sells for $29.99 for two dozen, an average of about $1.25 per ball. By comparison, the best-selling ball in golf -- the Titleist Pro-V1 -- retails for $48 a dozen, almost $3 more per ball. What caught a lot of people by surprise, though, was the quality of the Costco balls, which are made in South Korea.

MyGolfSpy, which bills itself as the Consumer Reports for the golf equipment industry, recently conducted comprehensive testing that found the metrics of the Kirkland Signature Tour Performance ball equaled or surpassed the ProV1. With a driver, the inexpensive Kirkland flew almost 10 yards farther than the sport's most popular ball. MyGolfSpy gave the Kirkland a 10 out of 10 rating. Good luck keeping the balls in stock after that, even at a massive wholesale club like Costco

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikmatu.../#38ddc1067270
Old 12-15-2016, 07:15 PM   #854
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure what I'm going to do for golf in 2017. For the past five years I've worked at a course, and haven't paid for any golf since 2011.

I would love to get an annual membership somewhere, but I've been spoiled golfing at premium clubs and the real good ones don't offer annuals. A $20k buy-in at a place like Priddis just isn't feasible at this point.

I just don't know what to do! For 2010 and 2011 I was a VIP Golf member and enjoyed that... I guess I could sign up for VIP again in 2017 and just play Cottonwood & Redwood Meadows every day. I will likely play around 40 rounds. If I split those between Cottonwood and Redwood, that's around $3,700 though. I don't really want to spend that much!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:44 PM   #855
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I'm not sure what I'm going to do for golf in 2017. For the past five years I've worked at a course, and haven't paid for any golf since 2011.

I would love to get an annual membership somewhere, but I've been spoiled golfing at premium clubs and the real good ones don't offer annuals. A $20k buy-in at a place like Priddis just isn't feasible at this point.

I just don't know what to do! For 2010 and 2011 I was a VIP Golf member and enjoyed that... I guess I could sign up for VIP again in 2017 and just play Cottonwood & Redwood Meadows every day. I will likely play around 40 rounds. If I split those between Cottonwood and Redwood, that's around $3,700 though. I don't really want to spend that much!
You should be able to get an annual/trial membership at most clubs. This past season I saw annual/trial memberships at Silver Springs, Country Hills, Cottonwood and I think Sirocco. I think that of those only Country Hills would be under $3700 though.

Muirfield is fairly reasonable. $7900 initial fee (payable over three or five years) and $1900 annual dues.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 12-15-2016 at 07:54 PM.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #856
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
So if anyone is heading south this winter, apparently you should look for these if you can actually find them. Really wanna see if they are indeed Pro V1 level good for 1/3 the price.
Just landed in Phoenix. I bought four dozen on the first offering they had. They are the real deal. They are every bit as long as a top shelf tour ball and I find that I can stop them on the greens a bit easier.

There are supposed to be more available on December 20.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:49 AM   #857
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ do you just care about length - what about touch and feel around the greens? pure roll on putts?
Old 12-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #858
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Just landed in Phoenix. I bought four dozen on the first offering they had. They are the real deal. They are every bit as long as a top shelf tour ball and I find that I can stop them on the greens a bit easier.

There are supposed to be more available on December 20.
If you can find them, would you be willing to buy me 24 and bring them back? I would be willing to buy you 24 for your trouble.

No pressure and I don't expect you to run all over town, just thought I would throw it out there,

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 12-16-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #859
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are these Kirkland balls, Costco brand? and can you just get them anywhere?
Old 12-19-2016, 10:18 AM   #860
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Are these Kirkland balls, Costco brand? and can you just get them anywhere?
I'm playing them and really like them. I mean, really like them. I take a lot of #### from some of the other players but these things are awesome. I get the same performance out of the Kirkland as so do out of the Pro-V1. I can squeeze a little more performance out of the Pro-V1x but not enough to get excited about. The Kirkland is explosive off the tee and has great feel around the greens. Stopping performance is every bit as good as the Pro-V series. These are a four piece ball, so guys with slow swing speeds will not be able to work them effectively.

What I have been able to find out about these balls is they are Korean in origin. They are a four piece, which makes them a little unique. Based on that I think they are probably manufactured by Volvik and equivalent to the Volvik S4 or Vista iV. These are a great ball from an underrated manufacturer.

Oh, and only available online.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 12-19-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow