Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

Old 01-04-2017, 10:51 PM   #661
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I think it's the computer. It's rather old. My phone did a wifi speed test at 123mbs. It's still over 90 while my wife is watching Netflix over Wifi in another room.
You can Google your network card's model number (found in Device Manager) and find out easily if it's 10/100, or 10/100/1000.

If that's what it is, you can get a new NIC off Amazon for $20.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:19 PM   #662
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Just got shaw 150 today and I'm not even hitting 100 with hardwired connection. Getting 95. Think something is wrong?
Are you using the new Shaw router or your personal one (bridged)?

If it is Shaw router you are fine, but if personal router in addition to checking the card for 1000 speed your router needs a 1000 Ethernet port as well. My guess is it does but you want to make sure.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:29 PM   #663
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Are you using the new Shaw router or your personal one (bridged)?

If it is Shaw router you are fine, but if personal router in addition to checking the card for 1000 speed your router needs a 1000 Ethernet port as well. My guess is it does but you want to make sure.
Shaw one.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:31 PM   #664
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
You can Google your network card's model number (found in Device Manager) and find out easily if it's 10/100, or 10/100/1000.

If that's what it is, you can get a new NIC off Amazon for $20.
We don't usually use the home PC that much. I was just using it to check
If I was getting the speed I pay for. I'm sensitive to it as my old connection was pure garbage. Was getting 2 mbs on wifi. Closing even watch YouTube videos on my phone.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:36 PM   #665
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you're using the Shaw modem, it's the NIC, which can be replaced for cheap.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:00 PM   #666
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also check the cable you're using! My dad had the same issue, and it was an old Cat5 cable causing the issue. Used a new Cat5e and it was off to the races
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #667
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does anyone have Telus TV, but Shaw internet?

I am thinking of switching to Shaw for internet, but would like to keep my TV with Telus.

I called Telus to make sure that this would even be possible, and they said it would be, but the tech was lecturing me about how my usage doesn't even warrant me needing 150 mbps. I was pretty annoyed about him telling me over and over again how my usage shows that I don't need the extra speed, and how I would be sharing that speed with others in the neighbourhood. I finally got fed up of him telling me what I need, and just said just tell me if it's possible or not.

For those who switched from Telus to Shaw, how do you find the difference in terms of speed? I am currently on Telus Internet 50, and I'm paying $37/month for it, so I'd be paying a little bit more for 3x the speed. Is it actually that much faster?
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #668
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Also check the cable you're using! My dad had the same issue, and it was an old Cat5 cable causing the issue. Used a new Cat5e and it was off to the races
Used a new ethernet cord for the speeds test. I didn't change the coax cable from the wall to the modem (left the old one there). I didn't think that would make a difference.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:09 PM   #669
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_dennis View Post

I am thinking of switching to Shaw for internet, but would like to keep my TV with Telus.

I called Telus to make sure that this would even be possible, and they said it would be, but the tech was lecturing me about how my usage doesn't even warrant me needing 150 mbps. I was pretty annoyed about him telling me over and over again how my usage shows that I don't need the extra speed, and how I would be sharing that speed with others in the neighbourhood. I finally got fed up of him telling me what I need, and just said just tell me if it's possible or not.

For those who switched from Telus to Shaw, how do you find the difference in terms of speed? I am currently on Telus Internet 50, and I'm paying $37/month for it, so I'd be paying a little bit more for 3x the speed. Is it actually that much faster?
We had Bell TV, and Telus DSL before switching both to Shaw for significant savings. There is no reason why you couldn't hang onto Telus TV, and switch the internet to Shaw. We still have a landline with Telus.

Of course Telus will tell you all day long how their slower service is far superior, lol. Although if your area has Telus PureFibre, that's a way more attractive option if they'll price match Shaw, because Telus Fibre is now 175 Mbps both up AND down.

But yes, you can definitely hang onto Telus TV...maybe investigate Shaw though, just in case there is any savings to be had by switching.

And yes, it is that much faster. I came from Telus 25, and on Shaw 150, I consistently get 175 Mbps down, and 15 Mbps up. I'm paying less for 6X the speed.

Quote:
Used a new ethernet cord for the speeds test. I didn't change the coax cable from the wall to the modem (left the old one there). I didn't think that would make a difference.
If the coax cable was the problem, you'd see speed/connectivity issues throughout your home, not just one PC.

I was wrong, the $20 Gigabit NIC I bought off Amazon is now $15: https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-TG-346.../dp/B003CFATNI

As long as your PC has a PCI Express port, it'll work, but they do sell the PCI version as well.

But if your PC is super old, I would personally either live with the 100Mbps on that one computer, or just replace the PC entirely. Unless you want to keep the PC around, and think the $15 is worth spending.

Last edited by Stealth22; 01-05-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #670
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
We had Bell TV, and Telus DSL before switching both to Shaw for significant savings. There is no reason why you couldn't hang onto Telus TV, and switch the internet to Shaw. We still have a landline with Telus.

Of course Telus will tell you all day long how their slower service is far superior, lol. Although if your area has Telus PureFibre, that's a way more attractive option if they'll price match Shaw, because Telus Fibre is now 175 Mbps both up AND down.

But yes, you can definitely hang onto Telus TV...maybe investigate Shaw though, just in case there is any savings to be had by switching.

And yes, it is that much faster. I came from Telus 25, and on Shaw 150, I consistently get 175 Mbps down, and 15 Mbps up. I'm paying less for 6X the speed.

If the coax cable was the problem, you'd see speed/connectivity issues throughout your home, not just one PC.

I was wrong, the $20 Gigabit NIC I bought off Amazon is now $15: https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-TG-346.../dp/B003CFATNI

As long as your PC has a PCI Express port, it'll work, but they do sell the PCI version as well.

But if your PC is super old, I would personally either live with the 100Mbps on that one computer, or just replace the PC entirely. Unless you want to keep the PC around, and think the $15 is worth spending.
Yeah, definitely wouldn't change the network card on that old thing. I just wanted to make sure I was getting what I paying for because I wasn't when I was a Shaw 25 MPS customer.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #671
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Nm.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:12 PM   #672
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I used to be in this situation a couple years ago - Shaw internet, Telus TV. It worked fine, but apps were an issue. There are lots more apps now, so I'm not sure if this has changed, but at the time we weren't able to use the TV apps like Tumblebooks and Weather. Also, I think Optik on the Go didn't allow us to watch channels with the house beside it (meaning they had to be watched from home), and we couldn't use the smartphone remote app either.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:06 AM   #673
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, definitely wouldn't change the network card on that old thing. I just wanted to make sure I was getting what I paying for because I wasn't when I was a Shaw 25 MPS customer.
95 is pretty close to the max spec of 100 MBps on older network cards which max out at 100. I think most network cards were maxed out at 100 Mbps for cards predating wifi N and early wifi N.

I don't know the spec of your computer and how "old" it actually is, but other things that might be limiting your max speed:

RAM
Processor
Selecting the "wrong" server to speed test on. Telus likes to show lower speeds than the Shaw server. I've been curious to know if the opposite occurs for Telus customers.

For around $10, you should be able to buy a USB dongle to give your computer wifi N capabilities to perhaps break past the 100 MB limit. However, these things often start getting wonky if they get too hot (too much data transfer)
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #674
Dirty Mr. Clean
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some cheap laptops are still sold with 10/100 NICs.
Dirty Mr. Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #675
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It was a $600/$700 Toshiba and I'm wagering it's 6 years old.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #676
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

What? I'm paying $88/month on Telus internet 50. I didn't worry about it too much, but they just called me telling me I need to get the unlimited download addon for $15. (I used Netflix and Crave. And my kid is always on youtube). That's $103/month. So now I'm looking at this shaw 150 deal, and it seems pretty sweet compared to what I'm paying. I did mention that Shaw has this deal, so the best they would do is give me the unlimited addon for one month free.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #677
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Have had Internet 150 for a couple months now, really impressed by it. Downloads scream, Netflix is crispy, everything just smooth as silk.

Can't take advantage of it on Asus Windows 10 laptop though, no 5G connection. Anyone recommended and internal or external card I could upgrade to?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #678
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Have had Internet 150 for a couple months now, really impressed by it. Downloads scream, Netflix is crispy, everything just smooth as silk.

Can't take advantage of it on Asus Windows 10 laptop though, no 5G connection. Anyone recommended and internal or external card I could upgrade to?
I had the same problem, also with an Asus laptop. You want the Intel 7260. The exact part number is 7260.HMWWB.R, and I got it for $30.

Installing it was fairly simple.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #679
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
What? I'm paying $88/month on Telus internet 50. I didn't worry about it too much, but they just called me telling me I need to get the unlimited download addon for $15. (I used Netflix and Crave. And my kid is always on youtube). That's $103/month. So now I'm looking at this shaw 150 deal, and it seems pretty sweet compared to what I'm paying. I did mention that Shaw has this deal, so the best they would do is give me the unlimited addon for one month free.

The only reason why my internet is so cheap is because my contract just ended with Telus on December. I've been calling every few months to see if they can do any better and I've slowly gotten upgraded to internet 50.

I also have my tv bundled with my internet so there's a bit of a discount there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #680
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So I've been getting no more than 50 MBPS for a couple weeks now, anyone have the same issue? Possibly longer but only recently noticed.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deal , moarspeed! , shaw , telus , wideopen150