Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2024, 11:17 AM   #21
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Coronato was part of the team's most effective line last night and had the key assist on the team's first goal.

He looks quicker, and wins more puck battles.

Nothing wrong with more AHL time but he's looked good on this recall.
Yeah not saying he's been bad but to me he would benefit the most from getting more ice time in the AHL. I would actually prefer both him and Pelletier in the AHL. Coronato looks raw out there. Kind of reminds me of Mangiapane on the defensive side of the puck. Loses his man and is out of posiition a lot.

He's still young and would rather he play 20 minutes a night down the stretch in the AHL but that's just me.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:17 AM   #22
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Another guy who had an injury really derail his career early on as he was poised to have an opportunity to play a lot this season. I think he's more third line than top 6. But he needs to play and the Wranglers need some help. But in this last month I'm sure there will be a lot of shuffling of guys up and down. Zary and Pospisil will stay up, but anyone else who can go down likely does at some point.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:26 AM   #23
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Numbers game.

Also: Wolf is up on an Emergency Recall basis -- a situation that may change very soon.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:36 AM   #24
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

can we just call him a middle six winger? seems like he can bounce between 2nd and 3rd line duty.

just nitpicking.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:53 AM   #25
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hate it but he's still giving me huge Lazar vibes. We need him to pan out.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 11:58 AM   #26
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He might become a slightly smaller version of Coleman. Defensively sound, OK skills, works hard, never scores a pretty goal but pots a few by being there.
Yep, his attitude and work ethic remind me a lot of Coleman.
Coleman is able to play a pretty feisty physical game though, whereas I'm not sure Peltier is going to be able to fill that same niche as a smaller guy.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 12:11 PM   #27
Dozer
Draft Pick

Quote:
Don't look now but Lazar is 4 points behind Holtz points (in 5 less games) on the Devils. It's a career year for him playing fairly decent minutes (like 12 per game). Plus 11 on a generally minus team.
Yeah it wasn't meant as a knock on him, Lazar has over 500 gp in the nhl . If he can be a 20 point player early in his career and bring enthusiasm and hard work that's still very valuable. More Ahl time will be helpful .
Dozer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 12:12 PM   #28
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He might become a slightly smaller version of Coleman. Defensively sound, OK skills, works hard, never scores a pretty goal but pots a few by being there.
Coleman pots more than a few
Old 03-19-2024, 12:18 PM   #29
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just sucks with his injury, feels like kind of a lost year for him.

I get the Lazar comparisons, but alosoLazar is bigger and more able to withstand the NHL grind.

I know Pelletier has scored at the AHL level, but it's possible he will be more of an energy guy at the NHL level. Problem is, at least right now he doesn't have the frame to handle that type of play.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 12:20 PM   #30
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
I hate it but he's still giving me huge Lazar vibes. We need him to pan out.
It is wild to me that Lazar is still in the NHL and has 21 points this season. 516 NHL games?! That is a healthy career after all.

Pelletier was drafted 26th OA, I don't think he was ever projected to be a top 6 guy, if he can carve out a career as a role player, the Flames and Fans should be happy.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 12:32 PM   #31
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Coleman pots more than a few
Coleman isn't typically a 30 goal scorer. Aside from this year he's been a little under or over 20 goals/35 points. That's what I think Pelletier does in his career as well.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 12:45 PM   #32
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pelletier will have to get a lot stronger before he can do what Coleman does. Not quite as extreme, but it's like how some people compared Phillips to St. Louis.

Coleman spent a full 4 years in university and then 2 full seasons in the AHL. He didn't really come into his own as an NHL player until he was around 26/27 years old, so maybe Pelletier can get there.
Old 03-19-2024, 12:45 PM   #33
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea if Pelletier will be another Blake Coleman. But worth keeping in mind that Pelletier played in the NHL at 21. Coleman didn't play his first NHL game until 26 after going the NCAA route, followed by some games in the A and a season ending injury.

Pelletier is still very young.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 02:41 PM   #34
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Not worried about Pelletier. He'll be a good one.

Like Zary, hit by the injury bug early on.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 02:46 PM   #35
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Im fine with him getting more reps in the AHL, but Pelletier should have been playing with Backlund and Coleman when Zary was out to give him a real look. Mangiapane should've moved to Kadri's wing, and Huberdeau stayed with Sharangovich. Then when Zary returns let him C the 4th line for a bit to see what he may have at the C position.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 03:10 PM   #36
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I expect Pelletier's big opportunity to come after next year's trade deadline when 2-3 of Mangiapane, Kuzmenko, and Sharangovich get traded.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 03:16 PM   #37
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I expect Pelletier's big opportunity to come after next year's trade deadline when 2-3 of Mangiapane, Kuzmenko, and Sharangovich get traded.
Trade Mangiapane and Kuzmenko anytime (and I do like both) but re-sign Sharangovich to a long term deal. Lock him in at reasonable value and he can still be traded anytime over the contract if the Flames aren't competing in the window they hope to.
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 03:41 PM   #38
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groot View Post
Trade Mangiapane and Kuzmenko anytime (and I do like both) but re-sign Sharangovich to a long term deal. Lock him in at reasonable value and he can still be traded anytime over the contract if the Flames aren't competing in the window they hope to.
I'm all for it, but Yegor has to want to stay at a reasonable contract for that. I could easily see him asking for $7.5M x 8 for his next contract. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
Old 03-19-2024, 03:45 PM   #39
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't the Flames have to do some sort of declaration (can't remember the reason for it) a little bit ago that will allow some players to be sent down to the AHL after some date to participate in the AHL playoffs? I remember hearing that the Flames elected to put Pelletier and another person on this list. I also remember that they left Zary off that list.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 03:53 PM   #40
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Didn't the Flames have to do some sort of declaration (can't remember the reason for it) a little bit ago that will allow some players to be sent down to the AHL after some date to participate in the AHL playoffs? I remember hearing that the Flames elected to put Pelletier and another person on this list. I also remember that they left Zary off that list.
Both Pelletier and Coronato were sent down on Mar 8th in a paper transaction, so they will be eligible for the AHL playoffs.

It has nothing to do with Pelletier being sent down today. It's mostly to give him some play time in the AHL.
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post: