Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2017, 10:44 PM   #301
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well that was amazing. Not sure I'll become an eclipse chaser but I would totally recommend seeing it. I'd seen a partial when I was a kid this was completely different. Even when it was 95% it was really bright, sharp shadows like a normal sunny day but the temperature had dropped significantly. Totality was something else - not completely dark, more like a full moon night, but for just a couple of minutes.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:41 PM   #302
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few pics I took:

Eclipse camp at night:

In the morning:

Going, going, going...

GONE!

And coming back out...

Old 08-23-2017, 04:38 PM   #303
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

We stayed in Butte and went down early to Rexburg, ID. My family was questioning me wanting to leave at 4am, but when we got up at 3:30 there were already a lot of people in the hotel parking lot getting ready to leave. The people there were awesome. McDonalds drive thru took a good 45 minutes, but the people working were all smiling and laughing. Same thing at the gas station. The town just had a great positive vibe to it. Drive to Rexburg from the I15 we saw all sorts of camps with various degrees of organization.

After grabbing breakfast and gas we headed west again, looking for a spot. We picked a random road to pull off, and a few hundred metres down we saw a State Trooper making other cars move along, and do a U-turn in front of us (to go the same direction we were going.) We went another bit and saw a truck with a sign "check point" on it. It was a Madison County roads dept. truck, and they were directing people into their work yard. Once inside the yard one of the guys went around to all the cars, letting the ladies know they could use the washroom in their shop, men should just go out to the bush. We all started setting up spots and mingling. There was about 50 people there- in about 10 groups. We all started sharing food, water, lenses and filters so that people could try to get pictures. It was just a great feeling of people just coming together and sharing the awesome experience.

The eclipse itself, breathtaking. Like everybody else said. My wife and son went from "is this really going to be worth driving so much" to "Wow- when and where can we see the next one!"
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #304
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The April 8, 2024 eclipse in Mazatlan. Totality will be 4 minutes and 20 seconds.

I want me some of that.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #305
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The April 8, 2024 eclipse in Mazatlan. Totality will be 4 minutes and 20 seconds.

I want me some of that.
Make your reservations today if you want to be able to afford it!
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #306
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I want me some of that.
I dont know, I dont think I'd want to be that conveniently close to sacrificial temples during a solar eclipse of that duration.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #307
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm pretty convinced now that I have to make a trip to the great lakes for 2024 or maybe a south america trip in 2019. Jealous of everyone that went and seems like it was a great experience!

Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #308
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Make your reservations today if you want to be able to afford it!
Still probably cheaper than flying to Montreal to see it. I bet the hottest ticket is Niagara Falls which has 3:28 of totality. Wouldn't be surprised if that is the busiest day in their history.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:04 PM   #309
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking into it more Mazatlan is very cloudy that time of year. So what's the safest bet for clear skies along that totality path?
Old 08-24-2017, 03:05 PM   #310
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
Still probably cheaper than flying to Montreal to see it. I bet the hottest ticket is Niagara Falls which has 3:28 of totality. Wouldn't be surprised if that is the busiest day in their history.
We went through Yellowstone on Tuesday, it was insane. I heard it may have been their single busiest day ever. I'm talking 3-4km long backups because there was a buffalo near the road. I wouldn't touch Niagara Falls with a 1000' pole in and around the eclipse.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #311
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looking into it more Mazatlan is very cloudy that time of year. So what's the safest bet for clear skies along that totality path?
About 40 000 feet up.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #312
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

CP meet up in NFLD?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #313
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
CP meet up in NFLD?
Meet up with Adam Pardy in Bonavista for an eclipse sunset party?

I've been considering PEI myself...I wanted more excuses to go back there again.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #314
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just checking quickly, it might be the Dallas/San Antonio/Austin area or somewhere close to the Mexico border. Newfoundland would be a terrible idea, plus it'd be about 5°
Old 08-24-2017, 04:44 PM   #315
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

How are you guys finding the time of totality? The NASA map crashes on me and I can't find it anywhere. My wife has family in Moncton and Shediac, which is just at the edge of totality. Could be worth the trip, but that is right near the end it looks like, so that means totality is shorter, correct?
Old 08-24-2017, 05:12 PM   #316
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We went through Yellowstone on Tuesday, it was insane. I heard it may have been their single busiest day ever. I'm talking 3-4km long backups because there was a buffalo near the road....
Probably, this little guy . We saw him too.

Old 08-24-2017, 06:03 PM   #317
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
How are you guys finding the time of totality? The NASA map crashes on me and I can't find it anywhere. My wife has family in Moncton and Shediac, which is just at the edge of totality. Could be worth the trip, but that is right near the end it looks like, so that means totality is shorter, correct?
www.timeanddate.com and then pull up "eclipses" under their sun and moon section.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:54 PM   #318
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
We stayed in Butte and went down early to Rexburg, ID. My family was questioning me wanting to leave at 4am, but when we got up at 3:30 there were already a lot of people in the hotel parking lot getting ready to leave.
We stayed in Butte as well, but headed to Roberts instead.

Wasn't too busy and most people seemed to be from Utah, so we were able to get out pretty quick.

Definitely a memorable experience.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:52 AM   #319
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Yeah the timeanddate.com maps are brilliant, you basically just click on whatever spot you want and it tells you all the times. Looks like Moncton is completely out, and Shediac will be right on the edge and get 38 seconds. The place to go is Miramachi; less than a 2 hour drive and they'll get 3+ minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2017, 08:28 AM   #320
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ahh social media.

https://twitter.com/norm/status/900819660722929664

EDIT:

Oh and this.

http://www.wcyb.com/news/national/re...ipse/611460337

So far, she said they haven't had any patients with damage from looking at the eclipse, but they've had a few customers experience pain after they put sunscreen in their eye Monday since they did not have protective glasses.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote